Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I dont do dick all day at work either. 12 hour shifts of boredom. I watch YouTube videos all day.

Im a steam engineer, run high pressure boilers. (that run themselves, I just take readings from gauges every 2 hours)
I’m doing the exact same thing running a recovery boiler or the evaporators. Once their dialed in I’m bored. At least when I’m evaps I can go out and wash everything up.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In Massachusetts any boiler above 15 psi is considered high pressure, and needs to be monitored around the clock when in operation.

I got a 700 hp and a 800 hp boiler pushing 250 psi. You cant automate that. I mean, you can as the boilers usually run fine in automatic, but an operator must test low water cut out at least once a shift, blow down boiler, test water chemistry and monitor auxillary equipment.

I work maybe 2 hours total in a 12 hr shift.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Muta from Someordinarygamers dropped a video featuring a similar handheld deck like the steam version and that shit is SEXY.

He was playing Breath of the Wild at 60 fps, Modern Warfare at 60 fps, Resident Evil 2 remake, GTA V online, No mans Sky, Final Fantasy 14 mmo, fucking Death Stranding, PS2 emu games, I cant wait.
You can emulate Breath of the Wild?

Jovec

?
I might be in the minority but I don't see the appeal of this. The games I play on PC are games I wouldn't want to play handheld without a mouse and keyboard.
It's a full PC. Ryzen 3000 level cores with RX 6000 GPU cores with DDR5 memory. The older CPU cores won't hold back the IGP so they don't really matter. Dock it via the USB-C interface and you have a full computer for $400-$650 (plus $100ish for a USB-C dock) depending on the model. The $400 model is especially appealing if a NVMe drive can be added to it.

My current plan is to use mine as portable PC for home automation tasks, video camera monitoring, and to SSH into various home servers as needed. I think it will be more portable than a full laptop and more conveient for many tasks than a desktop, but more powerful and better suited to these tasks (via a full OS) than a tablet or phone without the App/spyware BS.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

You can emulate Breath of the Wild?
Yes Wii U and Switch can be successfully emulated on gp deck. So can PS2 and SOME PS3 games.

BotW actually runs at 60fps locked compared to like 30 on Switch, so it does Switch better than Switch.

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Here is the video where the guy shows the similar to Steam Dock device. It does look awesome.

• 1Like

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
In Massachusetts any boiler above 15 psi is considered high pressure, and needs to be monitored around the clock when in operation.

I got a 700 hp and a 800 hp boiler pushing 250 psi. You cant automate that. I mean, you can as the boilers usually run fine in automatic, but an operator must test low water cut out at least once a shift, blow down boiler, test water chemistry and monitor auxillary equipment.

I work maybe 2 hours total in a 12 hr shift.
I’m running a lignin fired boiler at 800psi and 500klbs/hour steam and it’s pretty damn automated and it’s DCS is older than MSDOS

Jozu

Damn 800 psi is a lot. Thats 520 degrees F. What process are you powering? Is it for a turbine? And your pushing 500k of steam per via one boiler? Analog/pneumatic controls or electronic?

Never burned biofuels.

I have operated trash boilers, that literally burn garbage. I have operated firetube, watertube babcock and wilcox/cleaver brooks either #6 oil or nat gas.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Funny how a thread about a Steam Deck turned into a Steam Powered boilers thread. Must be why the store uses steampowered.com as a domain.

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes Wii U and Switch can be successfully emulated on gp deck. So can PS2 and SOME PS3 games.

BotW actually runs at 60fps locked compared to like 30 on Switch, so it does Switch better than Switch.
I don't see an emulator thread, which emulator is best for Switch?

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Damn 800 psi is a lot. Thats 520 degrees F. What process are you powering? Is it for a turbine? And your pushing 500k of steam per via one boiler? Analog/pneumatic controls or electronic?

Never burned biofuels.

I have operated trash boilers, that literally burn garbage. I have operated firetube, watertube babcock and wilcox/cleaver brooks either #6 oil or nat gas.
We super heat to 750F the boiler is 500k. I use 650k on the 3 sets of evaps and the concentrator. The plant is 1.5million pounds and 160MW of electricity.
Most of the steam is for heating with a 40MW back pressure turbine.
I hope the USA needs my skills down the road if Canada goes tits up.

spronk

FPS noob
1626742480332.jpeg

• 5Worf
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 5 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I bet League players can't wait for the influx of controller playing players the Steam Deck provides.

• 1Worf

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Looks like mine is Q2 2022. I believe I was able to reserve about 90 minutes after they opened. So either their expected inventory is low or they sold a whole lot of reservations.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm hoping that the timeline actually moves up as scalpers maybe give up or whatever since they can't buy the volumes they can with other products.

spronk

FPS noob
sounds like people are saying the steam deck is basically the power equivalent of a launch PS4 (2013), which isn't too bad considering the screen is basically 720p. Double or more the power of a switch.

Mine is listed at Q1 2022 still, if you did preorder you can see the date its expected to ship. New orders seem to be Q2 or Q3 2022 across the board

The more I think about it the more I realize I really have no desire to play this thing. Its big, bulky, LCD screen, and will be far surpassed by a slimmer OLED revision after 2-3 years. If I really gave a shit about portable gaming (I don't) itd be far cooler to own a surface or big phone paired with an xbox controller, way more comfy to hold than these joycon like things which are always uncomfortable in man hands.

I haven't cancelled my res, maybe the thing will be worth crazy amounts for a while although I suspect huge chunks of people are just reserving to resell.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
sounds like people are saying the steam deck is basically the power equivalent of a launch PS4 (2013), which isn't too bad considering the screen is basically 720p. Double or more the power of a switch.

Mine is listed at Q1 2022 still, if you did preorder you can see the date its expected to ship. New orders seem to be Q2 or Q3 2022 across the board

The more I think about it the more I realize I really have no desire to play this thing. Its big, bulky, LCD screen, and will be far surpassed by a slimmer OLED revision after 2-3 years. If I really gave a shit about portable gaming (I don't) itd be far cooler to own a surface or big phone paired with an xbox controller, way more comfy to hold than these joycon like things which are always uncomfortable in man hands.

I haven't cancelled my res, maybe the thing will be worth crazy amounts for a while although I suspect huge chunks of people are just reserving to resell.
What is the argument for a surface being better? Stronger or just better screen? Is there existing ways to get controller support and run steam games?

I went from apathetic to at least mildly excited as I went from i have no use, to the recent tipoff of folk like me doing nothing at work.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Jozu

People arent playing this for the screen lol.

And how much more portability do you want? A slimmer more sleek package is really not that big of a factor, as this deck comfortably allows on the go gaming which is the reason anyone would buy one of these. With that said, being able to play your steam library any time any where, 720p at 60fps on basically almost anything is pretty fucking tits.

And honestly I would rather have a more robust package, something with a little heft. Having a sleek, thin, beveled type deck is not appealing to me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users