Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
i posted a video about lutris above, it imports epic/uplay games directly into steamOS
dunno yet about gamepass, yeah xcloud works
join and browse daily the steam deck subreddit, people post shit loads of guides and "just bought a steam deck? heres what to do" shit. i learn stuff from it weekly

my honest advice is pick ONE SINGLE GAME you really wanna play and work on making it work. For me it was Simpsons Hit and Run, no reason at all I never played the game before no nostalgia but I love the Simpsons and it let me fuck around with Proton levels, installing stuff, using the Donut mod system, etc etc and it took 3-4 hours and now it runs beautifully. Played for 3-4 hours, was super happy, and now I'm gonna focus on how to make Ocarina of Time run beautifully under a nintendo emulator with mods and shit.

If you go the other way, "i'm gonna install EVERYTHING and play EVERYTHING!" you will just drown in information and get nothing done

due to kids I have almost no time, and downloading stuff also takes ages ;) ... but

I did install Lutris and installed AC Odyssey with UBI Connect, works find (just started it) ... and Hades also from EpicStore. Tried to play a bit Don't Starve from Steam but as not fully supported I struggled with the controls. (this is my biggest challenge right now, how to do something)

Is my assumption correct that Lutris or Heroic are just the frontend and the work later is done by Proton anyway ?
I guess installing the other Proton (the community updated one) and choosing depending on title which one to use makes sense, but when I run something in Lutris I can only choose the Proton version for Lutris and all games running in it or ?
Or is it in general better to run everything with the community proton ? (how you do it?)

I ordered a 512 GB SD card > here I would like to put EmuDeck as I missed alot of consoles in my youth, I basically had nothing until I was old enough to get me PS3 :)

As a last try, I started Witcher 3 (steam fully supported) and now I am in love .... this is the game I want to focus on as I want to finally play it through from start to finish, originally I wanted to do it with the updated version on XBOX X but after all the mess I have my doubts when it will come out at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
cool i guess

i should check out witcher 3 on my deck, i dont think the remastered edition is coming to PC since its already basically top end and i have a good save (finished the game but didnt do all the side quests or DLC)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leibowitz

Trakanon Raider
I am thinking about this purchase. If I go there I ll go for the most expensive model. I m a member of the buy it once crowd,

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
cool i guess

i should check out witcher 3 on my deck, i dont think the remastered edition is coming to PC since its already basically top end and i have a good save (finished the game but didnt do all the side quests or DLC)
There’s a 4K mod that’s good. Also several mods that make the game way more enjoyable. Weightless, fast travel, autoloot, couple others.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Got the deckmate in. Briefly futzed with it. Trying to attach the kickstand to back of mount. (not yet on the deck, not sure it will actually jive with the jsaux rubber cover I got. I dont get how it pops in and stays in place, pops out easy. Maybe with the back of the deck to brace it? Dunno, the X tv mount style thing seems to stay in better.

spronk

FPS noob
exact same way as on pc, games get installed into steamapps\common\<gamename> on either local or microSD and you drop your mods into there. You can even run a prelauncher since some mods require that, but then you have to run it under Proton for win32 compatibility (or just boot your deck into windows 10/11 if you really want).

the easiest way is to set it all up on your desktop PC with mods, shortcut options, config it, make sure it loads and runs ok yadda yadda and then xfer the entire game directory to your steamdeck and reconfigure video options to 1280x720 and set rendering appropriately (max 60 fps etc). Or just configure it that way on PC so you don't even have to tweak anything. Most games do cloud saves and stuff.

I run Simpsons Hit & Run with the donut mod system which is a full blown exe that mods the game in memory and it works perfect as a prelauncher, just have to set the title and set the shortcut to run that exe instead of the game EXE, and point the mod system to the "right" directory. Withcer 3 works fine too, although all I've got is the fast travel, no inventory load, and nekkid Yennefer and Triss mods.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Simple question on the decks:

mare screen sizes too small for most steam games? I’m find the switch handheld best for only a few games and prefer when it is used as a console most of the time and used with an hd monitor or gaming monitor.

but I suppose you could do the same with the decks…

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Looks like shit. Nice storage addition for all the games you won't be playing on this thing though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Your finger landing on that 60°c chip by mistake when you're playing, sounds good.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
good to know shortcut keys

3cosx84o1nn91.gif

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
look at neat post
"i should skin my Steam deck to look like its from the starship enterprise"

i guess this is a gundam skin, people have posted in the thread how to buy it

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Reserved my deck mid June (22) and just got the purchase email.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
if you have a 64gb steam deck you can swap it with this 1tb from microcenter ($110) pretty easy, tons of videos on youtube takes like 15 mins

doesn't really seem worth it though if you have the 512gb model, may as well wait for a cheap 2tb 2230 m2

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well Sonic All Stars runs awesome. Gonna have to dig into Proton GE and the Heroic launcher so I can add Hades from Epic. Any new updated guides that people are using?

(also god damn this thing puts out a lot of heat)

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Well Sonic All Stars runs awesome. Gonna have to dig into Proton GE and the Heroic launcher so I can add Hades from Epic. Any new updated guides that people are using?

(also god damn this thing puts out a lot of heat)

Go into system, scroll to the bottom to advanced and turn off "Enable updated fan control." It will decrease the heat but increase the fan noise. The fan noise isnt really an issue while playing a game unless you are using headphones in a quiet room next to someone sleeping.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
512gb reservation has come back up. I think I'm going to cave and go ahead and get it. Gaming on the couch would be nice. Thoughts, prayers, advice?