Stellaris

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Just picked this game up. Haven't played any of the other games by the company, how much reading should I do before I try to play? Jumping in feet first going to be a nightmare?

Eh just go throuvh the tutorials. It was enough for me

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Finally bought this game a few days ago when it was on sale. There's definitely a ton that the tutorials don't cover but the wiki covers everything really well.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it a lot. I was totally burnt out on space 4x games but I gave this a shot because of my enjoyment of EU4.

My first game was obviously a dud. As soon as I met the first normal empire it said they were overwhelming. I instantly restarted lol. Second time around I'm probably the single strongest empire and part of a federation which is a really cool way to play defensive. I'm kind of feeling the conquest itch though since I'm strong but I can only declare liberation wars.

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
I love this game and but it's shit like this that rustles my jimmies something fierce, especially on ironman. Playing a fanatic purifier and completed an event chain I had not encountered before in my 340h of playtime: it turned majority of my population into pacifists. It destroyed all the factions and created a single one that hates wars. And it also changed the race portrait from the new orc one to different. And you can't even switch away from fanatic purifiers with reform government.
20171215100825_1.jpg
20171215100908_1.jpg

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So basically that event is a "space" version of what happened to Ze Germans after WWII? :D

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah pretty much going from Hitler to Gandhi (non-civ) overnight. The lore on the event was that your race basically de-evolved to previous state, first it seemed really good (all population got +10% tech production) but then I saw the ethos change.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just grabbed this on the sale. Time to sink some hours into it!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Really wish this game or something similar (turn based strategy) was released for the PS4. After living the 70" TV plus couch gaming experience I just can't sit at my PC for hours anymore. The only turn based stuff they seem to release for the PS4 besides Civ is gay Japanime strategy games.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Really wish this game or something similar (turn based strategy) was released for the PS4. After living the 70" TV plus couch gaming experience I just can't sit at my PC for hours anymore. The only turn based stuff they seem to release for the PS4 besides Civ is gay Japanime strategy games.

Persona 5 was a great PS4 turn based game and my GOTY this year. Never would have touched it without the recommendation from here. It's turn based and relaxing and awesome.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Persona 5 was a great PS4 turn based game and my GOTY this year. Never would have touched it without the recommendation from here. It's turn based and relaxing and awesome.

Hmm, might give it a shot. Like most amazing Japanese games, I passed it by because the artwork was a turn off. I just generally can't deal with gay anime no matter how good the mechanics.. Like I really *tried* to get into Valkyrie Chronicles, but I just couldn't get into a war game where my tanks were controlled by Sailor Fucking Moon wannabees.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, might give it a shot. Like most amazing Japanese games, I passed it by because the artwork was a turn off. I just generally can't deal with gay anime no matter how good the mechanics.. Like I really *tried* to get into Valkyrie Chronicles, but I just couldn't get into a war game where my tanks were controlled by Sailor Fucking Moon wannabees.

Story isn't even that bad/japafied annoying. Characters are okay too.

The first chapter tutorial is annoyingly long though and it takes a solid 15 hours for the game to fully open up.

Rime

<Donor>

Steam Link lets you stream to your television. Have not tried it with Stellaris, but is lots of fun with ARK.

Also, majormajor update 'soon'. So finish up your games or consider putting them off until the Cherryh update is out.

Ascension now baseline, no need for the Utopia Expansion (though it adds more of them), more are being added.

You now have to build an outpost in every star system you want to take control of. These outposts can be upgraded to be massive.

Small, nimble fleets of specific ships will get bonuses against 'doom stacks'.

New tier of technology, new technologies.

All travel types are moving to a wormhole sort of FTL, to make the game more 'engaging'.

Ground defenses majorly reworked.

All sorts of stuff.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Ive been running the game on my laptop and connecting the laptop to the TV to play on big screen.

Not gonna lie, Stellaris on the big screen is fucking awesome. I feel like I'm in the Stellar Cartography lab from the first Star trek TNG movie

generationshd1021.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Heh, pretty sure you'd hate P5. I don't know what TJT is saying when he says the story is not that japanified...

It's a social simulator set in a very Japanese version of a high school, complete with a talking cat companion. The story is ridiculous and about as anime as it gets. I thought it was dumb as hell and I actually like anime. The combat is turn based (and it's good) but I don't know if I would call it turn based strategy. You can't do anything with positioning and there are no different combat environments or tilesets (there are no tilesets at all in fact). But you only spend about 10-15% of your time in the game actually performing any type of combat. The rest of the time you spend making coffee, comforting people around you, reading books, going to class and other stupid crap.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Heh, pretty sure you'd hate P5. I don't know what TJT is saying when he says the story is not that japanified...

It's a social simulator set in a very Japanese version of a high school, complete with a talking cat companion. The story is ridiculous and about as anime as it gets. I thought it was dumb as hell and I actually like anime. The combat is turn based (and it's good) but I don't know if I would call it turn based strategy. You can't do anything with positioning and there are no different combat environments or tilesets (there are no tilesets at all in fact). But you only spend about 10-15% of your time in the game actually performing any type of combat. The rest of the time you spend making coffee, comforting people around you, reading books, going to class and other stupid crap.

Yeah I was poised to buy it last night, and I might have if it was on sale, but just watching the preview made me cringe. Way too japanime for me, and the cat you mentioned made me audibly groan.. These games can have the best possible mechanics, and it just doesn't matter when you can't take anything seriously because every character looks like some doe-eyed pre-pubescent pedo fantasy. I wish I could get over it, because some games like Valkyrie chronicles are great games mechanically, but I just can't take "war" seriously when my army is comprised of Sailor Moon and hairless teen boys.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So how the heck do you win this game? How does federations work?
I picked it up and the first try was horrendous, I kept running out of influence with the human conquest guys, then said fuck it went with human democratic, and the infusion of influence every 4 years is very nice.

Is it normal to run energy deficits on mid-late game? What is a good fleet size? 200-300?