Stranger Things

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Better than s2 but not as good as s1.

The magic of s1 for me was the gradual reveal of Eleven's power/abilities, every time she used her powers it was another "whoa" moment. The highlight being saving Mike from the cliff jump.

S2 and also S3 suffer because we know what Eleven can do and telekinesis isn't that amazing when it's being used for 100th time. At least s3 seems to be aware of this by having her lose her powers.

I also think the "big bad" is played out at this point.

Edit: Also, Will had Jon Snow s8 level dialogue for most of this season.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So this is free of sjw rot?
It is there, but kinda subtle. I'm only on episode 7, but the more I think about how the season has played out, the worse I think it is. Good overall so far, but it reminds of how The Big Bang Theory lost focus on what made it good.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Random lesbian character reveal that serves absolutely no purpose to the plot.

I feel the lesbian reveal honestly cheapened the season because you would have otherwise had a very touching moment of bonding and love with Steve and Robin. Which I am sure would be decried as tacky and expected. But I thought this was replicating the 80's level of tackiness? That's the charm!

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I feel the lesbian reveal honestly cheapened the season because you would have otherwise had a very touching moment of bonding and love with Steve and Robin. Which I am sure would be decried as tacky and expected. But I thought this was replicating the 80's level of tackiness? That's the charm!

I was only 4 in 1985, but I find it hard to believe people especially teenagers were as comfortable coming out, or as accepting as that scene made it out to be

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fedor

<Banned>
I was only 4 in 1985, but I find it hard to believe people especially teenagers were as comfortable coming out, or as accepting as that scene made it out to be

Steve called Jonathan a queer back in season 1.

they pulled a reverse jerkass homer with steve's character throughout the seasons

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
This will be the last season you will be able to enjoy. Next season will jump the shark, they are going to make Will gay too.

• 3Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think most young men go through that phase. Although at different levels, we all can relate to a friend who grew up faster, or slower, or was exposed to women first etc.

I was the nerd type, being a virgin until I was 16, and basically until I was 18. Meanwhile a couple of my buds were ploughing chics and chastised us other homos for playing games.

I turned it around in my adult years, but some never do. One of my buddies hasnt gotten pussy in like 18 years.
I just find it a shame that that's "turning it around" -- Nothing beats those game binges. The ideal is to still have them but have a woman that's not an awful person to not just go along but be a part in the binge, and then create offspring that grow up and join the party.

• 3Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Steve called Jonathan a queer back in season 1.

they pulled a reverse jerkass homer with steve's character throughout the seasons
Steve has gone through world bending shit and has had his own opinions upended about himself. that's why I think he is okay with others.

Another one is Lucas and Max. Interracial couples weren't kosher until the mid-late 2000s. I don't mind a little alt-history there because I'm tired of racial tensions resurfacing in RL.

• 2Like

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Steve has gone through world bending shit and has had his own opinions upended about himself. that's why I think he is okay with others.

Another one is Lucas and Max. Interracial couples weren't kosher until the mid-late 2000s. I don't mind a little alt-history there because I'm tired of racial tensions resurfacing in RL.
I actually don't even really care about the interracial couple in this case because they haven't yet done a story line about them having to deal with racism from other people. I would WAY rather they just pretend like it's totally normal and no one cares than have to suffer through a "racism bad" subplot. Plus Max is the product of a broken home and has no parents so it's pretty realistic she has to settle for the American Inventor. If she was pushing two hundo and had stomach tat it would be perfectly plausible.

• 5Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finished this tonight. As a kid from the 80s and a big borrow buff, this is how you do big monsters. All this cgi crap these days, and this is the first show to get it right. Played out? Maybe a little, but I appreciated it. I'm definitely intrigued to see what's really going on with the Russians.

I didn't really like that the Russians had a secret lair under the mall. It just felt so... Way beyond any realm of believability. Especially how big it was. Just a minor gripe.

The lesbians or race thing didn't bother me, and in fact it never has. It's just never been a personal issue. Although if they wanted it to be true to the 80s they wouldve been persecuted.

I wonder where the show can go from here. Next time these guys film they're gonna be mid teens. Will was already taller than his mom.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The end tag was significant because until that point they had kept the Russians and the Mindflayer/Demogorgon stuff completely separate. You never saw the Ruskies in the same place as any of the Flayer stuff so it wasn't at all clear they even knew what they were doing with trying to open the gate.

This shows us that they do know about the Demogorgon at the very least which makes what they are doing even more suspect.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I was 16 in 85. In a small mid-western town, they would not have been cool with the interracial couple of kids, and I really doubt coming out as a lesbian would have gone over very well. Alt-history in this case is OK, cause it is 2019 so whatever.

Y'all are ignoring the real triggering part of the show. New Coke. That shit was disgusting and almost destroyed the Coca-Cola company.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was 16 in 85. In a small mid-western town, they would not have been cool with the interracial couple of kids, and I really doubt coming out as a lesbian would have gone over very well. Alt-history in this case is OK, cause it is 2019 so whatever.

Y'all are ignoring the real triggering part of the show. New Coke. That shit was disgusting and almost destroyed the Coca-Cola company.
That's what made that scene so funny (new coke)

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

SeanDoe1z1

question on ending

I thought they had to close the gate and kill the mindflayer as well? Idk I thought that was the entire premise of why the thing was still alive, I assume it's only connection was with the gate open after watching the finale, but I thought they went over it earlier they had to do both.

spronk

FPS noob
Finished season 3 today, a bit too scary at parts for the wife but we both really enjoyed it. Probably pretty tame for people who watch horror regularly. I'd agree that season 1 is better for sure, but this isn't too far behind. Season 2 was a bit of a mess.

I didn't like the Russian stuff for a while, but by the end I realized one thing: Russians were the bad guys always in the 80s, and they would pop up in the stupidest places with the flimsiest backstories. So this totally is digging deep into that trope, once you realize that its pretty enjoyable. I mean its completely ludicrous that they built a $1 billion facility 2 miles underneath a mall staffed with 100+ Ruski's in the middle of America and are tapping enough power to power a high electron collider but that IS TOTALLY 80s - Red Dawn, No Way Out, Invasion USA, Air Force One, Rocky IV, etc.

In fact they bite hard into the tropes from The Terminator to ruskis to 7-11 to Malls to teen romance to jocks/nerds to back to the future to new coke. All if it works really well I think, although it does come right up to the edge of collapsing into silliness. The duet at the end had me in stitches although I can totally see how some people would HATE it.

The one thing I'd say is the story is kinda spinning nowhere, the Illithid Mind Flayer has lost a lot of its fearsomeness because now this is three times where a bunch of kids (along with 11 of course) have kicked its ass, if a bunch of M80 fireworks will hurt it so much how long would it really survive against a M134 minigun or apache chopper? They sorta failed to up the stakes this season, I hope the end stinger goes somewhere meaningful and not just a location fake out.

re: the ending
Yeah I thought as well the sequence was that "grey goo" got pulled out of Will at the end of s2 and flew into the air, eventually reforming in episode 1 as "dust" that gathered an army of rats and absorbed all of them. So the super predator at the end should also reform at some point, since the gate was closed for at least six months between season 2 and season 3. Maybe its predator form consumed all its "brain power" so it can't reform anymore, I dunno.

The show kinda wants you to treat the upside down as this mysterious place filled with creature(s) we can't understand, WHICH IS GREAT, but every season demystifies them a little more and this season got a bit too close too many times to the monster talking to El and basically saying "i wanna take over the world and kill everyone! woohoo, I'm so evil!!"

The one thing I wonder about is time travel, they peppered the end with BTF references so I wonder if Hopper is indeed in Russia... but its a different time?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
One of the most remarkable aspects is just how tight some of these episodes are. There were a couple where the episode ended and you go 'wait...that was only an hour?!?'. Even with some bits that go on too long, seemingly intentionally, there is a lot of story packed into 8 episodes.

Does this make Dustin the world's first brony?

Oh and Maya Hawke is definitely the real deal.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
This season was kinda what I expected it to be. I also don't see how they do another season.

Good quality, it's not a complaint. The actors are aging out. The only thing they can do, really, is reboot buffy/veronica mars going forward. Which... They might be able to pull off. But they do better to make it something new and call it a sequel series rather than a continuation.