Stranger Things

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I liked the first couple seasons, one especially. I didn’t really care for how much of the boyfriend girlfriend crap they started throwing in the last season but it’s always inevitable with long series. People start wanting to see two characters hook up and they all go this route. I’ll still check out future episodes but my expectations aren’t that high.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always enjoy how they change the 80's music for the previews. Kind of an odd rendition of Journey. I will watch this as I do enjoy the characters and the 80's atmosphere.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I liked the first couple seasons, one especially. I didn’t really care for how much of the boyfriend girlfriend crap they started throwing in the last season but it’s always inevitable with long series. People start wanting to see two characters hook up and they all go this route. I’ll still check out future episodes but my expectations aren’t that high.
The Cuties fandom is strong in this one.

Juvarisx

Florida
Nice to see the guy who plays Freddy Kruger getting work (pretty sure hes the resident evil looking dude)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Episodes are super long. This isn't holding my attention - the kids have all aged. Everything after season 1 lost the magic of the original

Can't believe I renewed Netflix for this lol

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It starts out slow. They overdid the teen drama bit but I enjoyed some of the nods to things like Carrie. Eddie was a good character and a nice nod to Van Halen. I am up to 5 so far. Its getting better but the bad guy, so far, seems a bit weaker than the one in the last season. I think his nod is the doctor from Hellraiser 2. Hopefully there is a little more to the bad guy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm liking it. Difference between this and Kenobi is far more competent directors and editing.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It's clear why they chose to break the season up after episode 7 as its a hell of a cliffhanger.

We guessed / sleuthed a lot of the plot elements as we went along but not the biggest ones, at least not until right before their reveal. Love the show so very much.

Small spoilers about the state of nerdy things in 1986

The setting is spring break 1986 but they mention things like 'playing Nintendo' and such a few times. The NES was just launched at the end of 1985 in the US and was not immediately commercially successful. While a couple million units would be sold by the end of 1986 it was by no means buzzworthy by this point in early Spring of 1986.

In addition there is a plot point later on about a rumored secret 16-bit console which, even among super geeks, would not have been something people talked about in 1986. It wasn't until immediately before the launch of the SNES and Genesis that the notion of '8-bit vs 16-bit' became a real thing.

Then there's the UX on Suzie's computer which, though primitive, is far too windows-oriented for 1986. While Macs were indeed a thing by 1984 the adoption of that whole style was still in its infancy in the spring of '86. Its possible that a super geek like Suzie might have had access to Windows 1.0 (released in fall of '85) but anyone serious about computer use in 86 would have steered way-clear of Windows1.0 as it was painful to use and served no real purpose as it sucked up sooo many resources to do basically nothing.

Finally there's Suzie's use of IP addresses and TCP protocol which is just way too advanced for '86. Yes ARPANET existed at that point and NSFNET was coming online slowly, but those were highly specialized networks to which essentially no one would have access to in their homes. Is it possible that Suzie's dad is some professor / researcher or DOD contractor who works out of his house? Yeah, but its very unlikely.

Yeah yeah I know its just a show and I should really just relax, but these small things stood out to me as a nerd from the time period.

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah this went from a slow crawl to an awesome last episode. It was almost like riding the first hill on the roller coaster. Once you get over the hill it rolls full speed. Great place to finish it. It really did a good job of explaining out pretty much everything from the beginning, and while the first 2 episodes were a bit drawn out, it was worth the ending. Now I am looking forward to Season 4.2.

If you cannot take the pace of the first 2 episodes...just fast forward through the boring stuff.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
On episode 5 and my major beef is that everyone is spread out too much so it’s trying to do this massive GoT level ensemble.
So far it’s switching between:
1. Hopper
2. Eleven and the doctors
3. Joyce and Murray
4. Mike, Will, Johnathan and the annoying Stoner
5. Dustin, Lucas, Harrington and Max
6. Nancy and the lesbian (although that was just for one episode)