Stranger Things

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I'm trudging through hours of Hopper torture and gulag crap... Why? I swear I don't even remember why Hopper is in a Russian gulag to begin with. It's not like they are really playing on 80's commie paranoia much. Hot Tub Time machine did that in an amazing way. Not even a Red Dawn easter egg to be found...

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
As a complete non-sequitor on 80's Russian paranoia; does ANYONE remember "Gymkata?" I actually saw it in a movie theater and vivdly remember Kurt Thomas doing his Wa-foo on a surprisingly convenient Pummel horse in the middle of a pseudo-Russian town fighting villagers with pitchforks and scythes with his his gymnastic routines. For good or bad, they sure as shit don't make movies like that anymore.

1654040365365.png

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm trudging through hours of Hopper torture and gulag crap... Why? I swear I don't even remember why Hopper is in a Russian gulag to begin with. It's not like they are really playing on 80's commie paranoia much. Hot Tub Time machine did that in an amazing way. Not even a Red Dawn easter egg to be found...
He was supposed to be dead but ended up being captured (show goes through it all in S4)

Caliane

As a complete non-sequitor on 80's Russian paranoia; does ANYONE remember "Gymkata?" I actually saw it in a movie theater and vivdly remember Kurt Thomas doing his Wa-foo on a surprisingly convenient Pummel horse in the middle of a pseudo-Russian town fighting villagers with pitchforks and scythes with his his gymnastic routines. For good or bad, they sure as shit don't make movies like that anymore.

View attachment 414966
lol. yeah. imagine in one of the Marvel movies, Hawkeye decided he needed to blow off some steam, and went and did a 7minute dance routine in a warehouse ala flashdance/footloose. haha. people would have lost their minds.

Qhue

Trump's Staff

View attachment 414966

Whenever watching a bad action sequence I often refer to someone using their gymkata on the bad guys.... its such a solid bit of 80s terrible cinema history.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Russia, Jonathan, the Utah diversion all felt like stuff that woulda been cut out or never filmed in a regular TV show. I didn't hate any of it but none of it really felt like it added much. Still, the highs of Max's arc, Eddie (new metal guy), and the whole Vecna storyline has been fantastic.

btw Enzo was played by Jaqen H'ghar aka Valar Morghulis from Game of Thrones

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Russia, Jonathan, the Utah diversion all felt like stuff that woulda been cut out or never filmed in a regular TV show. I didn't hate any of it but none of it really felt like it added much

btw Enzo was played by Jaqen H'ghar aka Valar Morghulis from Game of Thrones

Sarcastic Joke GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I sure didn't intend to binge watch this, but I couldn't stop. Random thoughts...

Slow to start, somewhat painful to watch the lunacy having lived through the D&D satanic panic in a lesser form during my youth. Thankfully, that became more comical due to the future politician in the basketball captain. A room full of grown adults will just follow a stump speech from a 16 year old and start vigilante justice is apparently where my immersion breaks.

The episode 4 run and eventual escape of Max is my only, incredibly minor, gripe. It isn't really a gripe though, I am fine with how it played out. If she would have failed to escape, the portal closed just before, and it was a super downer it would have matched the genre better (similar to The Mist or zombie movies). But then they wouldn't have pieced together the power of music properly, so trade offs. It reminded me of an older movie called The Signal from 2008 (best I can do ✂️ Signal / ST / Headphone).

Stoner plotline with Mike / Will is meh.

The fellowship of the ring plotline is where the money is at like last season. I think Dustin / Steve interplay is a key driver. That group in general is pushing the most interesting parts of the story.

Jim / Joyce / Murray is pretty decent. I want them to make it and for Jim to reunite with El because of feels, but it has the opportunity to go dark as well. Though they did that last season by 'sacrificing' Jim so I doubt they will double down.

I am really digging Vecna in general. Good back story, didn't see it tying in to El as much until it was spelled out. The last couple of episodes for El were key as the mopey bullied teenage girl character was hard to watch and pretty boring.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

previous record was Bridgerton with 193m hours in March. 287m hours / 8.93 hours (total s4pt1 length) = 32m households watched S4 Pt 1, assuming everyone watched all 7 episodes which of course won't be true. So probably closer to 40-50m households, which seems big I guess

Pretty big audience haul but this season also cost $350M to make. I can see why they broke it up into 2 parts, hoping to get an extra month of subs. I think they lost money on this.

At any rate, $350M for 9 episodes of a TV show is pretty insane. This is unsustainable.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I finished it. Gotta say, for me, it was an endurance feat. Didn't love it. I thought it was a drawn out mess of non-converging story-lines. I am still at a loss as to why the common themes were torture (and Hopper) and child death (and Hopper) and a villan that made no sense (and Hopper) and characters that I could not relate to their younger selves (and Hopper). Plus the incredibly long, extended wait for 11's powers (and Hopper). Did I mention Hopper? Did we need 4 hours of fucking Hopper? Way too much torture. All that and no closure.

PS- I miss the TV series "Swamp Thing." That shit was good. At least Swamp Thing got some employment out of this, right?

Ugh.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Stranger Things bringing back redheads solo, Sadie Sink (Max) blowing up in the media i think she stole the season with episode 4, but also Robin's crush (bandmate) is a redhead along with Chrissy the cheerleader

In an age of redhead erasure or black characters taking over their roles, its nice to see the Irish gaining back some ground

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Pretty big audience haul but this season also cost $350M to make. I can see why they broke it up into 2 parts, hoping to get an extra month of subs. I think they lost money on this.

At any rate, $350M for 9 episodes of a TV show is pretty insane. This is unsustainable.

Never neglect the power of merch. Stranger Things merchandise sells like crazy and Netflix has not shared the revenue from the merch sales but its not small. This isn't a show they bought from a studio or something, its their golden goose. The Duffer Brothers retain the IP, but I think Netflix gets most of the ancillary merch sales not to mention reaping cross promotion and product placement revenue.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just finished this up and it was damn good. Erica is still the best character. Shes hilarious and her delivery and expressions for a young kid is fantastic. Look forward to the ending.

• 2Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I didn’t love this until they started to explain things. After wrapping up the first 7, I gotta say I love how they gradually revealed the origin of the new bad guy and the story behind the early scene of young 11. I went from watching it because I had watched the other seasons to really looking forward to the second half of the season. The Hopper stuff dig drag on quite a bit, but the adults had to have their own story arc to come back around for the ultimate conclusion.

The high school antagonists can eat some fat dicks, but I guess that’s how the writers want you to feel about them. So mission accomplished I guess!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Watching NetflixGeeked and damn the kids are old enough now that there really has to be a time jump from 4 to 5. They accomplished a bit of that by making the jump to 'high school' in series 4 but even Erica is now old enough that she will need to be in High School by season 5.

I'm thinking it will need to be 88 or even 89