Stranger Things

Xevy

Log Wizard
Great episodes, well acted all around, and still amazed most all of these actors especially the kids were fresh and have maintained such a highish level of acting. Like all gambles that paid off big.

That said the highlight of the series was Winona in her bra for 4 seconds. My god.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Strong finish for the series. Next season is supposed to be the final one. I'm guessing it will be WW3

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great episodes, well acted all around, and still amazed most all of these actors especially the kids were fresh and have maintained such a highish level of acting. Like all gambles that paid off big.

That said the highlight of the series was Winona in her bra for 4 seconds. My god.
1656814278492.png

1656814297083.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This climax battle scene with the music:

Apparently they had a whole different musical theme originally planned but then after Running Up That Hill hit the charts hard they either contacted this guy or were already aware of his remix of Running Up That Hill with the Stranger Things main theme:

Which then resulted in this :

This also jives with the news that they were editing episode even after the wire, adding in some 30+ FX shots so late on Thursday that the people who jumped on the episodes as soon as they dropped likely saw slighting different FX in those instances.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Loved episodes 1-7, best series has been since season 1 for me

Epidode 8-9 were a big step down in writing and pacing. Still looking forward very much to next season

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Loved episodes 1-7, best series has been since season 1 for me

Epidode 8-9 we’re a big step down in writing and pacing. Still looking forward very much to next season
100% agree unfortunately. Some of their emotional hits scored big (the initial Max scene in One's mind, with Kate Bush music) but others were terribad. Death of Papa was so overly dramatic I literally rolled my eyes. They could have made the point about 11 not forgiving him much faster instead of trying to turn it into something that didn't work. Similarly at the end of ep 9 there was a pause in action for dramatic effect and it felt really off. When Eddie fell off the bike and was fleeing on foot (and the bats stopped chasing for... reasons) so he could have his hero moment of "I will not run!". But then when Dustin tells Eddie's uncle about his death - right in the feels.

And yes my money is also on Will being gay for his buddy. They've been screaming it for a minute now, and if it's not that, then they are doing a great job fooling some of us.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah vol 4 part 1 was a masterpiece (minus Russia) and I could rewatch it again right now, vol 2 is not quite as good. Still probably better than seasons 2 & 3 but a lot of repetition and slow pacing. Pretty good though on first/single watch. The last 20 mins felt like Lord of the Rings, just endless reunion and reminiscence scenes that undercut each other.

Still, the final battle was pretty awesome especially in effects, framing, steady camera, editing, music, etc. After a few shows have sorta shit the bed on looking good this year its nice to see a crew doing their best and delivering.

The sword is Conan's Atlantean Sword from the Arnold movies. "where did it come from", the soviets had earlier thrown a bunch of weapons into the pit for the fighters.

Eddie's death was pretty dumb, but great character and Master of Puppets was awesome.

Wonder why Max's "thoughts" are empty from 11's point of view. 11's abilities also felt a bit wonky, the way she can just hop through people's thoughts was a bit unsatisfying. It didn't really follow the usual rule of "the person whose head you are in is absolute master of this domain" ala Fringe, Inception, etc.

Max getting her bones cracked was FUCKED UP

Interesting post about Vecna from a guy who worked on D&D, Vecna is apparently a lich in a specific campaign which lines up a lot with what we see. Vecna's soul is probably in the clock and he will regenerate like a Lich until its destroyed.
www.reddit.com/r/StrangerThings/comments/vq51ka/im_a_dd_expert_with_some_insight_on_season_4s/

Vecna's whole scene explaining how the Upside Down was at first was pretty awesome, season 5 I'm pretty sure at this point will be the Mind Flayer being freed from Vecna's control and shown as a benevolent being/tool, not an evil Elder God

5voce038ba991.jpg

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
100% agree unfortunately. Some of their emotional hits scored big (the initial Max scene in One's mind, with Kate Bush music) but others were terribad. Death of Papa was so overly dramatic I literally rolled my eyes. They could have made the point about 11 not forgiving him much faster instead of trying to turn it into something that didn't work. Similarly at the end of ep 9 there was a pause in action for dramatic effect and it felt really off. When Eddie fell off the bike and was fleeing on foot (and the bats stopped chasing for... reasons) so he could have his hero moment of "I will not run!". But then when Dustin tells Eddie's uncle about his death - right in the feels.

And yes my money is also on Will being gay for his buddy. They've been screaming it for a minute now, and if it's not that, then they are doing a great job fooling some of us.

I actually tuned out and started surfing web checking emails casually during that scene. My buddy said I was being a fraud.

I couldn't describe it, but I just couldn't justify giving that particular scene continued attention. Papa did a good job at being unlikeable to the point I didn't even want to see him on screen any longer than he had to be. Bravo to the actor for pulling it off and the writers. The arc ended up falling flat because the scene was so dramatized and dragged out. I feel vindicated knowing I'm not the only one who's patience was being tried during that.

• 2Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I actually don't think that there was much, if any, filler. Thought that the last two episodes rocked.

There was filler all over the place. Shit almost 4 hours with probably an hour of actual good content. Episodes 1-7 were awesome, 8-9 were the worst of the series. Which is weird because they usually have good finales. I think they dropped the ball in post editing. Dragged a lot, and then the good scenes were sort of janky.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I think one of the more fun clues is in the Vecna name. As if you were gonna take a lich out without destroying the phylactery.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
There was filler all over the place. Shit almost 4 hours with probably an hour of actual good content. Episodes 1-7 were awesome, 8-9 were the worst of the series. Which is weird because they usually have good finales. I think they dropped the ball in post editing. Dragged a lot, and then the good scenes were sort of janky.
Yep. They ran out of ideas and tried to turn 5 minutes worth of content into 4 hours. Season 3 was a blast start to finish and this one kind of ambled around for too long. It wasn't a bad season by any measure, but it wasn't full throttle/no brakes like the prior season and especially the ending.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Wow-- that was an endurance event. Other than the Vecna battle, that was a long snooze-fest...

What was the point of the entire season, exactly? Oh, I get it; to have Season 5. Since nothing really was resolved or explained (in any sensible way) anyhow.

Please no more Russia plot.

• 2Picard
  • 2Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Wow-- that was an endurance event. Other than the Vecna battle, that was a long snooze-fest...

What was the point of the entire season, exactly? Oh, I get it; to have Season 5. Since nothing really was resolved or explained (in any sensible way) anyhow.

Please no more Russia plot.
Eleven is a super hero again and the crew is back together in Hawkins?

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Eleven is a super hero again and the crew is back together in Hawkins?

Basically this. It was like 15 hours to tell us the origin of the mindflayer which was basically all told in a single hour episode . There was a couple really good moments, but it seriously just dragged on and on and on. For real they spent an HOUR having russia crew go to some random location so they could talk about shit for an hour just to decide to go back to where they came from. I think this encapsulates most of the season.

• 4Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Basically this. It was like 15 hours to tell us the origin of the mindflayer which was basically all told in a single hour episode . There was a couple really good moments, but it seriously just dragged on and on and on. For real they spent an HOUR having russia crew go to some random location so they could talk about shit for an hour just to decide to go back to where they came from. I think this encapsulates most of the season.
Brilliant, on-point analysis.

Caliane

I didn't love this show. and especially the last few seasons. did I even watch s3? but, man everyone is saying this season is great. might have to.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
It def had plenty of moments you could skip, but overall I thought it was great. The final scene looked pretty awesome. Hyped to see the end. Just hope they condense it as opposed to running so many arcs at once.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Well everyone is collected in one place again, so by rights should be less. But depending on the time skip, i'm sure there will be a thread with Max recovering?, and some love triangle nonsense at the very least.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well everyone is collected in one place again, so by rights should be less. But depending on the time skip, i'm sure there will be a thread with Max recovering?, and some love triangle nonsense at the very least.

I heard the time skip is going to be college.

Makes sense because they had passable 30 year olds playing high school kids. Really was stretching the onscreen immersion.

• 2Worf