Stranger Things

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Something I find somewhat amusing is the constant destruction of Winona's house. Feels like every scene in her home they're knocking holes in the wall, ripping out the phone line, covering everything with weird drawings, etc etc. Wonder what her repair bill is up to?

Yeah lol, last season it was holes in the walls and strings of lights draped everywhere. This season she turned her house into a notebook paper map of tunnels. Love it. Definitely a theme.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is everyone just saying random cities and states on purpose in here at this point? It's getting silly :p

The idea that everyone would have been cool with him and max kissing at a dance in a small town in illinois was a little bit hard to take seriously. That was a bit of a retcon. It's not that anyone would have gone all Nazi on them, it's that shit like that -was not done-. But for the sake of the story i'm pleased with it. It's not Hunky McAngryFists the brother that woulda beat the hell out of him... his own parents woulda told him to stop doing that shit. I had a black girlfriend in gradeschool. As much as you can have a "girlfriend" in gradeschool. And I remember when one time she said to me, "Daddy is wrong. I can TOO date a white boy."

This heavily depends on any given town. I grew up in a smallish town in Illinois and it was pretty open and integrated in the late 80s, at least my grade school never had any overt racism that I could see. Obviously the further south you go the less likely you are to get a pass. The town as a whole in the show seems a little more advanced than some farm town of 2,000 people so it wouldn't surprise me if the demographics reflected that a bit. Nearby science lab and all on top of it.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is everyone just saying random cities and states on purpose in here at this point? It's getting silly :p

This heavily depends on any given town. I grew up in a smallish town in Illinois and it was pretty open and integrated in the late 80s, at least my grade school never had any overt racism that I could see. Obviously the further south you go the less likely you are to get a pass. The town as a whole in the show seems a little more advanced than some farm town of 2,000 people so it wouldn't surprise me if the demographics reflected that a bit. Nearby science lab and all on top of it.

It's Indiana, not Illinois. And for the record, Indiana doesn't exactly have a sterling rep for being progressively open-minded about race relations.

That said, i agree with you. The 70's changed a lot of stuff with race relations. By the 80's it still would have been a gossip-worthy event, but it wouldnt have been a "stop the fucking dance and everyone gasp" event it would have been in the 60s.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's a TV show about super powers and alternate dimensions and you autistic fags are arguing over kids not being racist enough

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Speaking of fags did anyone else get the impression that Max's brother was hoping Steve would drop the soap in that shower scene?

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
steve babysitters club.jpg

• 8Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 9 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They really had some nice character development in this second series. Both Steve and Dustin had nice moments and Lucas got to be something more than just an asshole who doesn't like change (that role falls to Michael this time around). Ultimately we ended up with a lot more development for the secondary characters from the first series at the cost of some screentime for characters like Mike and Eleven.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Speaking of fags did anyone else get the impression that Max's brother was hoping Steve would drop the soap in that shower scene?

He's going to be fucking mikes mom ep1 s3. Heavy bicep curls to a Ratt video is the manliest of activities.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Hey man, he was listening to megadeth I'm pretty sure.

He's totally not faggy at all. Nope, he is in no way overcompensating.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Yeah the Bro looked like Jason Patric in Lost Boys and Rob Lower (as others said) created an off spring.

Someone pointed out to me that the scene where Nancy and (Awkward Wills Brother) end up hooking up was a nod to Temple of Doom. Where they are both in their rooms arguing with themselves about it. And that was released that year in 84. Now I want to dig up all the references and see if they tie to a certain year...cause I bet next season takes place in 85 and we could predict theme.

There is someone 80s that i love, and thats kids swearing like real life, but also the fact that the Mom totally gets wet talking to Max's brother....hes a teenager and a middle age woman is down...

Dont see that shit today

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Now I want to dig up all the references and see if they tie to a certain year...cause I bet next season takes place in 85 and we could predict theme.

Hoping for a Commando "I lied" moment.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
when Dustin was talking on the walkie talkie with Lucas' little sister, she interrupted him in the middle of a sentence. you can't do that on walkie talkies. immersion -- ruined.

• 1Worf

iannis

Musty Nester
I watched one of the after hours things. Those duffer brothers actually mentioned that. "Man, walkie talkies don't work like this. And were not even consistent with how they work from episode to episode. But its a great plot device."

They were talking about how this story would be impossible with the internet. You'd have to rework it entirely.

• 2Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
There is someone 80s that i love, and thats kids swearing like real life, but also the fact that the Mom totally gets wet talking to Max's brother....hes a teenager and a middle age woman is down...

Dont see that shit today

Seriously?

The only difference between then and now is he wouldn't have to go to the trouble of finding some bored, sexually frustrated housewife. He wouldn't even have to leave school. One of his teachers would probably be giving him dips on the regular.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Good Guy Paul Reiser. He waited a long time for that one.
When he first showed up, I kept thinking, "Is that... Paul Reiser? Oh fuck, he's going to be evil government scientist 2.0. God dammit Paul Reiser!" And then he ended up not being. It was confusing, it was shocking, it was totally redeeming. I want him back in S3.

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Seriously?

The only difference between then and now is he wouldn't have to go to the trouble of finding some bored, sexually frustrated housewife. He wouldn't even have to leave school. One of his teachers would probably be giving him dips on the regular.

Teacher or Milo.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
When he first showed up, I kept thinking, "Is that... Paul Reiser? Oh fuck, he's going to be evil government scientist 2.0. God dammit Paul Reiser!" And then he ended up not being. It was confusing, it was shocking, it was totally redeeming. I want him back in S3.

It was nice that he wasn't a completely goody goody character either. He still had the chip on his shoulder and overall attitude that the scientists in S1 had, but ultimately he had the moral compass that they lacked. Of course Hawkins Lab is now seemingly shut down after the news report about Barb's demise and questions about what went on there.

I kinda want the recession in Hawkins to be an issue in S3. Even though the lab was evil it undoubtedly was a major employer in the region and funneled cash into the local economy. Shutting that down has to have repercussions.

• 1Like