Subnautica

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I marathon-ed through last night and finished.

As I reflect back on the whole experience, it feels amazing. The graphics do give off a good first impression, but the hook is the wonder and the uncovering of mystery that builds as you go. The physics and movement feel perfect. Now that I have a full perspective, the progression is logical and well placed. The behavioral patterns of the different animals varied and appropriate. Little things, like your vehicles having different compartments for storage or upgrades is so damn cool. I am more of a functional base-builder, than an elaborate "make my house a home" type, but I can appreciate the care they put into that part of the game for those nerds.

I don't think I will go back for a 2nd play-thru like Gavinmad. It really feels like a one and done experience. I can see how once the mystery is gone, the game wouldn't have much else to offer. All of that said, it is a wonderful game and one of the most unique gaming experiences I have ever had. I am going to remember this one fondly for a long time.

I rate it A+, 10/10.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Actually played through 3 times. My second playthrough I never built a cyclops, managed all my deep excursions with just the prawn.

On my third playthrough I built a base on the edge of the crater with one long tube sticking out into the dead zone. Got it to about a kilometer long before I got bored. It's tricky as fuck, basically have to duck outside, extend the tube a few pieces, then duck back in through the hatch to avoid getting eaten by the three ghost leviathans that perpetually circle around the end of the base. Deconstruct the hatch, move it closer to the end of the tunnel, and repeat. I have two moonpools that I hopscotch forward every couple hundred meters so that i can just load a seamoth with titanium and zip it out to near the end of my tunnel instead of running a kilometer back to the beginning of the base where my cyclops is parked.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
This game is amazing so far. About 15 hours in, finally got Scanner Room. Still missing Alien Containment, Prawn and Cyclops. Just started marking the map with beacons. Haven't gone to the Aurora yet and I still have two more lifepods to scavenge for data. Found the first 2 Degasi bases and a vent for the aliens,but haven't actually found another base after the Quarantine Enforcement Platform. I thoroughly enjoy that you aren't supposed to go around murdering all the predators and crafting armor out of their ass cheeks,instead you incapacitate or avoid. So much fun.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got back around to reinstalling this. Think I played almost 7 hours on Sunday.

Definitely seems more polished than when I played a couple years ago. The storyline definitely helps keep you pointed in the right direction.

That said, I had the Sunbeam rescue explosion happen and there hasn't been anything new in a while. Mostly having to rely on maps on the internet to make my way around, since new fragments are so hard to find. Otherwise at this point I'm not entirely sure what to do as I've built just about everything the game naturally led me to, and also a bit it hasn't.

Edit: Just read the last page. Maybe I need to pay attention to the old clues I had already.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just watched a speed run, he beat the game before the wrecked ship exploded...

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
below zero could be cool. love subnautica. hated their SJWisms. I'll have to weigh buying it when i see it done.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I bought this game after it officially released and it was pretty f'n awesome. Short when it comes to the story, but awesome. Problem is, to get to the end of the game you basically need to discover/collect most the things, so you end up with nothing post-game aside from pretty base building. Definitely had a good time (played through binge style over a weekend) and I'd definitely be down for some more in the same type of gamestyle. The reaper leviathan sneaking up on me is the greatest video game jump scares since dogs through windows in Resident Evil 1.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
I dunno man. landing on that ruined structure and climbing out of the prawn with the crab squids staring through the glass at me was pretty damn creepy.

really every time i had to plunge into darkness anew I felt a really deep sense of dread not knowing what was there. I don't think i've felt that in another vidya game.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I really loved this game, and can't wait for the DLC. Only did the single playthrough to keep the sense of discovery/magic the whole way through. I kind of want to play again since I enjoyed the gameplay mechanics, but the story/mystery is really a big part of the progression, and I just don't think it would be the same.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is my Game of the Year 2018. Again, this is coming from someone that generally dislikes base building, survival games.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Shows $25 on steam for me.
Scroll up like 2messages? It's free on Epic store, not on Steam. Epic store giving games for free to get people to switch, next one is Super Meat Boy which is kinda whatever since it's so old and bundled 150times with random shit but this one's a pretty good starter.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Scroll up like 2messages? It's free on Epic store, not on Steam. Epic store giving games for free to get people to switch, next one is Super Meat Boy which is kinda whatever since it's so old and bundled 150times with random shit but this one's a pretty good starter.
/shrug forum took me to vgrades post as the "new" one so I missed it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Man I've really been wanting to play this for a long time and just never got it, glad I was lazy about it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man I've really been wanting to play this for a long time and just never got it, glad I was lazy about it.
I bought it last sale since it was on sale at a decent price. Luckily it was on sale at a good price on Steam so that's where I bought it, which mean I asked them for a refund and even though it was like 3 or 4 weeks ago they still refunded me fine.