Subnautica

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

I had this reoccurring dream I haven't thought about in years. I would be in a perfectly clear bubble but sound like a submarine, it would start off near shore and I would roll into the ocean and it was the majestic coral reef and all the colorful fish right out of those TV shows. I would go a little deeper and further out and I would see larger creatures like whales but with added spots of color here and there. Then I would go even deeper and be surrounded in darkness only able to sea the alien like fish that glowed in the dark, deeper still the fish were dinosaur sized behemoths moving in herds all around me. Then it would turn nightmarish became hard to breath and the things that glowed were also terrifying to look at. I would continue to sink the stuff of nightmares became larger than city buildings and I would wake up and realize I was holding my breath until my chest hurt.

That is exactly what if feels like to play Subnautica, and if it wasn't for the nearly crippling fear of the deep ocean I would love to continue to play it. I made it to the first beacon/lifeboat about 300M down it was surrounded by massive lumbering behemoths moving in herds, with my heart pounding I manned up and swam below them made it to the life boat, got what I needed from inside, turned to leave and a fucking roach the size of a shark with shark teeth was a few feet away about to bite me. I jumped so bad my knees hit my desk the mouse went flying and I nopped the fuck out.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
I picked this up a while back and really enjoyed it. The content was good but a bit light at the time though the aesthetic and audio was fantastic. There have been a few updates since and I was planning on picking it up, but then EQ emu bit my ass. Wish it had MP, that's all that holds it back from being a truly amazing game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Anyone playing this? Wondering if it's worth the $20 tag or if I should wait for a sale.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's supposed to leave Early Access in mid-May so my recommendation would be to set an alert for it at IsThereAnyDeal.com and buy it if it goes on sale between now and then. Unless you're desperate for something to play I think you'd be best off waiting for story mode to be more or less complete as well as all the other features they have planned for 1.0. I've owned the game since last fall, dicked around with it a bit, but decided I should wait to really dig into it rather than spoil the experience with an unfinished game. Plus they've made some pretty controversial changes in EA (like the removal of terraforming), and 'ignorance is bliss' tends to be the way to go with stuff like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is exactly what if feels like to play Subnautica, and if it wasn't for the nearly crippling fear of the deep ocean I would love to continue to play it.

Thalassophobia. I have it as well. I think it's pretty common. I've met a ton of people who get freaked out by deep or dark water.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thalassophobia. I have it as well. I think it's pretty common. I've met a ton of people who get freaked out by deep or dark water.

I went swimming with whale sharks off of Djibouti and we couldn't see land nor the bottom sea floor, just open water, was creepy as fuck. Kept thinking a shark was going to come zooming in from a direction I wasn't looking and tear into me.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went swimming with whale sharks off of Djibouti and we couldn't see land nor the bottom sea floor, just open water, was creepy as fuck. Kept thinking a shark was going to come zooming in from a direction I wasn't looking and tear into me.

I was swimming in the ocean once, and was using a snorkel/goggles. Just plopping along when I came to an underwear cliff. Water was five feet deep and then it just dropped. Couldn't see the bottom, and the water over the cliff was cold. I don't snorkel anymore. Solidarity, bro.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Fuck the ocean.

And yes, just watching other people play this on youtube game freaks me out a bit. The game looks amazing though, and despite being a little on edge, i still watch vids of it and enjoy it.
Fucking leviathans.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
It's supposed to leave Early Access in mid-May so my recommendation would be to set an alert for it at IsThereAnyDeal.com and buy it if it goes on sale between now and then. Unless you're desperate for something to play I think you'd be best off waiting for story mode to be more or less complete as well as all the other features they have planned for 1.0. I've owned the game since last fall, dicked around with it a bit, but decided I should wait to really dig into it rather than spoil the experience with an unfinished game. Plus they've made some pretty controversial changes in EA (like the removal of terraforming), and 'ignorance is bliss' tends to be the way to go with stuff like that.

I didn't know about that site, will use for the future.

I impulse got this anyway after watching some youtube's on it. ended up playing for like 4 or 5 hours right away which is not something I do that often anymore. very fun game; pretty creepy getting into those really dark deep sea areas.

might hold off on it until that update but I've been feeling the urge to play more so we'll see! im liable to not ever play again if I try to wait, haha.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
People are actually scared of the ocean tho? Maybe it's because I grew up in Florida and was always swimming in the ocean but that just seems weird.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
People are actually scared of the ocean tho? Maybe it's because I grew up in Florida and was always swimming in the ocean but that just seems weird.

I love the ocean, waves, swimming and snorkeling when I can see the bottom. Open water and no bottom though? Pass. That shit is way way to creep looking down and just seeing 'fade to black'.

• 4Solidarity

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Full game releases next week. Only part missing now are some bug fixes and implementing the final ending sequence.

Picked it up after watching some streams.

Fantastic game so far, and I've barely started around 4 hours in.

However, didn't know it was this creepy. You land, and it looks so nice. Then you start hearing radio messages with some creepy things added to it. All nice and pretty in the area you land, then you start moving out and.... not so much. Just got my little seamoth now.

Went into some green parts, explored outside of seamoth, heard a little roar, turned around quickly and got scared of my own trail in the water behind me as it was moving. Silly me, turn around again into the face of a stalker. Noped out and ran to seamoth.

Went towards the ship, it gets dark. Lights off since I know some of the big bads, whatever they are, are attracted to lights. No idea where I am. Turn on lights and just see a giant tail right in front of me, followed by a giant roar. Noped out of the game.

Highly recommend it by the little I've played so far. Incredibly immersive. Also recommend going in blind. It's a game that's filled with "ohh what's this?" or "wtf was that?". Not knowing is great.

EDIT: added some spoiler tags for something that scared me, that you can encounter within a few minutes / first hour if you explore out, so not really that spoilerish, but added tags anyway.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Love this game. I too wish it had multiplayer just so I could play it more. Damn family wanting to play games together.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah noticed this was releasing soon so checked some streams last week and it looked really nice I'll definitely pick it up later, but probably will spend next week playing total war, maybe after but then again I'm tempted to just wait for a sale and grab something else meanwhile or just finish some games I already have.

I remembered this more as a shitty survival game but it seems I'm either thinking of another game(likely, back when it went EA there were a lot of minecraft/rust/whatever clones) or that it just improved a lot, looked more like Terraria on the streams I looked with still the survival/base management aspect but the exploration, story driven content and combat made it look a lot more interesting to me.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I was swimming in the ocean once, and was using a snorkel/goggles. Just plopping along when I came to an underwear cliff. Water was five feet deep and then it just dropped. Couldn't see the bottom, and the water over the cliff was cold. I don't snorkel anymore. Solidarity, bro.

I went to Cayman Brac a few years ago and ended up diving and snorkeling a 330 foot Soviet warship. Shit was scary as fuck even though the water was pretty clear. At one point I saw a manta ray start moving towards me pretty fast and I scrambled back on the boat like a little bitch. I'm pretty sure I dont ever want to go diving again.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
When I was a kid at camp, like 6 years old, we would dive to the bottom of the lake the camp was on, from a anchored platform that was about 200 feet out from shore. It was probably only 30 or 40 feet down at that point but the water was so cold and murky at the bottom it felt like 100 feet at least. To prove you did it you would grab a handful of muck.

I had tried all summer but was constantly freaking out 3/4 of the way down.

Finally, next to last day of camp and I am determined to grab a handful of shit.

I dive in, it feels good, I start motoring right to the bottom and after what seems like forever I see the shadows of sticks coated in feathery, mucky, crap poking out of the darkness. It freaks me out a little but I move in, and jam my hand down to grab some mud.

I feel my hand slide into the really cold slimy fluffy clay mixed with crap, I close my fist around it and feel it squish between my fingers. Just as I am pulling my hand back up, it feels like something grabs me by the wrist and is holding me there. Like something hard, it felt like a hand but that's impossible, but that's what it felt like.

And I immediately lose my shit and go into full panic mode.

I pull back as hard as I can, trying to swim up but my legs come down and touch more sticks which freaks me out more. My mind is on fire, my lungs hurt, and I remember just looking up and seeing the sun filtering down through the water, making the surface seem 1000 miles away.

Finally whatever has got me just let's go. I rocket to the surface and I am crying and sputtering and freaking the fuck out.

I don't like murky water, or water where I can't see the bottom.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
When I was a kid at camp, like 6 years old, we would dive to the bottom of the lake the camp was on, from a anchored platform that was about 200 feet out from shore. It was probably only 30 or 40 feet down at that point but the water was so cold and murky at the bottom it felt like 100 feet at least. To prove you did it you would grab a handful of muck.

I had tried all summer but was constantly freaking out 3/4 of the way down.

Finally, next to last day of camp and I am determined to grab a handful of shit.

I dive in, it feels good, I start motoring right to the bottom and after what seems like forever I see the shadows of sticks coated in feathery, mucky, crap poking out of the darkness. It freaks me out a little but I move in, and jam my hand down to grab some mud.

I feel my hand slide into the really cold slimy fluffy clay mixed with crap, I close my fist around it and feel it squish between my fingers. Just as I am pulling my hand back up, it feels like something grabs me by the wrist and is holding me there. Like something hard, it felt like a hand but that's impossible, but that's what it felt like.

And I immediately lose my shit and go into full panic mode.

I pull back as hard as I can, trying to swim up but my legs come down and touch more sticks which freaks me out more. My mind is on fire, my lungs hurt, and I remember just looking up and seeing the sun filtering down through the water, making the surface seem 1000 miles away.

Finally whatever has got me just let's go. I rocket to the surface and I am crying and sputtering and freaking the fuck out.

I don't like murky water, or water where I can't see the bottom.

OH FUCK THAT

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users