Summer 2014 Anime Thread

velk

Trakanon Raider
Maybe it's just me, but I thought the Hunters organization would have more than 661 members, especially given how specific some of their hunter types are. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for fodder.
661 is still way too high for the super low per-year intake from the Hunter exam they cited early on. Unless they are all extra long lived or something.

The Master

Bronze Squire
This is actually an interesting question. Data:

288 Hunter Exams to date. Over 10,000 people try out each time and get filtered out bit by bit, usually by not even being able to find the testing site.
5 hunters have died in the last year. That is "unusually high" and is being investigated as a likely conspiracy. Everyone thinks the vice-chairman is responsible. I'm doing that from memory of the episode, so feel free to correct this.
The chairman was the 12th Chairman and about 100. We'll say, barring accident or injury, most hunters live to be around 110, because of the healing effects of regular nen use (referenced by a couple of characters).

So if five dead hunters a year is really rare, at least that die in the course of their duties, lets say two per year is average. Counting old age. 288 years, so you've had 576 Hunters die. That gives you an average pass rate in the Hunter exam of 4.3 people. Considering we know for a fact that some years have only had one person pass and other years there are as many as 9-10, that seems close.

I made some broad, though supported, assumptions there and got reasonably close. Numbers seem pretty believable.

Erie_sl

shitlord
Well besides the sequels this summer, my favorite so far is Tokyo Ghoul. Hopefully it's longer than 12 episodes, because it absolutely needs it in order to get into the protagonist's powers that they're building him up to be. Only negative reviews I've read are from manga loyalists, and guys saying he's a pussy (despite changing into a completely different species, and wanting to eat people.. which imo is completely justified!)

Second best: Aldnoah Zero

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is actually an interesting question. Data:

288 Hunter Exams to date. Over 10,000 people try out each time and get filtered out bit by bit, usually by not even being able to find the testing site.
5 hunters have died in the last year. That is "unusually high" and is being investigated as a likely conspiracy. Everyone thinks the vice-chairman is responsible. I'm doing that from memory of the episode, so feel free to correct this.
The chairman was the 12th Chairman and about 100. We'll say, barring accident or injury, most hunters live to be around 110, because of the healing effects of regular nen use (referenced by a couple of characters).

So if five dead hunters a year is really rare, at least that die in the course of their duties, lets say two per year is average. Counting old age. 288 years, so you've had 576 Hunters die. That gives you an average pass rate in the Hunter exam of 4.3 people. Considering we know for a fact that some years have only had one person pass and other years there are as many as 9-10, that seems close.

I made some broad, though supported, assumptions there and got reasonably close. Numbers seem pretty believable.
i haven't watched new HxH yet, but from manga the boar was talking about the rat(vice pres) and how 18 is the number of hunters missing since he took office, before he did the average was 0.6 yearly, and when hunters go missing usually it's just Ging being Ging. (meaning its him disappearing)

is this the election round table part?

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well besides the sequels this summer, my favorite so far is Tokyo Ghoul. Hopefully it's longer than 12 episodes, because it absolutely needs it in order to get into the protagonist's powers that they're building him up to be. Only negative reviews I've read are from manga loyalists, and guys saying he's a pussy (despite changing into a completely different species, and wanting to eat people.. which imo is completely justified!)

Second best: Aldnoah Zero
Wel ive read the manga up to date, and tbh i kinda appreciate the anime version. Sure there are some minor deviation from it, but i think was for the best, overall it follow it mainly. And yeah pretty sure it will include the Aogiri arc, finishing with him being powered up. If they dont, anime is pretty much pointless.

The Master

Bronze Squire
i haven't watched new HxH yet, but from manga the boar was talking about the rat(vice pres) and how 18 is the number of hunters missing since he took office, before he did the average was 0.6 yearly, and when hunters go missing usually it's just Ging being Ging. (meaning its him disappearing)

is this the election round table part?
Yeah, it is the election. Well if it is 18 this year and normally 0.6, numbers make even more sense.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow SAO with a super drag it out episode. Really tired of that beta bitch bugging Sinon. I bet he is death gun.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
SAO needs to stick to actual in-game stuff. Aldnoah on the other hand is not slowing down at all.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Aldnoah... Just so damn good! I cannot think of a single negative about it and I'd imagine it'll be one of the best action/mech-based Anime in a very very long time.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aldnoah is the tits and now the good guys have some proper weapons. I didn't like the ending of that episode though, didn't really make sense why they decided they were enemies.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dialogue from the end scene of Aldnoah:
Slaine: Princess Asseylum, I've found you at last!
Inaho: Your princess was dead. And in spite of that... why are you looking for her?
Slaine: Huh?
Inaho: You knew that the princess was alive. So why?
Slaine: What do you mean?
Inaho: Answer me.
Slaine: Take me to Her Highness.
Inaho: Answer my question first.
[Slainegives a disgruntled hmph then aims the sky carrier cannons towards Inaho]
Slaine: Wait... are you intending to exploit her to your own ends?
Inaho: If she's exploited, do you have a problem with that?
Slaine: Are you...
[Slainefires the cannons at Inaho first]
[Inahoreturns fire with a single shot to the wing as he hops off]
Slaine: Are you my enemy?!
Inaho: You... are my enemy.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Aldnoah is the tits and now the good guys have some proper weapons. I didn't like the ending of that episode though, didn't really make sense why they decided they were enemies.
its just misaunderstanding, inaho worries he may be an undercover assassin to take out the princess, slayne worries that the princess will be use as a tool/slave from the humans... guess it will be resolved in the next episode or so, cause its a quite silly situation, especially now that the princess revealed herself to the commanding crews.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
AldNoah is tight but the situation with the princess letting everyone die around her while she hides is kinda laughable. Most of this shit could have been cleared up by now but i guess you have to drag this shit out for story purposes. That aside it is way better than Sword Art Emo atm.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
AldNoah is tight but the situation with the princess letting everyone die around her while she hides is kinda laughable. Most of this shit could have been cleared up by now but i guess you have to drag this shit out for story purposes. That aside it is way better than Sword Art Emo atm.
SAO2 is just bad right now. AldNoah, I swear they said that they couldn't get any meaningful transmissions off to alert the right people. Plus she saw how that chick reacted when she found out she was the princess.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
hmm i dont agree completely. I mean first thing they did after the attack was to cut out all sort of communication/internet /tv/sats etc. So i doubt she had any way to contact mars/her own spaceship or w/e (when she didnt doubt of a possible martian involvement). After when she meet inaho the goal was to try and reach the main goverment branch i guess? but it makes sense to not reveal herself until then, kinda hard to know who's friend/foe, especially when u have no mean to communication and you basically stranded. Risk to be taken as prisoner its also a factor.

Guess she helped as much as she could, not like she could do anything at all untill they found a spare aldnoah mech and ship. Revealing herself before then would have not helped the ppl in the carrier at all, nor would have helped herself, especcially without any mean of communications.

That is how i see it anyway
smile.png

Edit:
SAO shud get better from next episode till arc end, its just BoB fight (the final is basically a huge arena where everyone vs everyone ) in the novel, guess 4-6 more episode till the end of the arc

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
She could have revealed herself at any time to one of the people fighting the humans - most think shes dead and do not know of the cover up so its better for the risk vs the wait. At any given time they could have all been obliterated and then the earth goes bye. Sure its risky when not knowing who you can trust but its just as bad if not worse letting "everyone" around you get their shit pushed in while you chill and wait to see what happens next. If technology was remotely even between the two it wouldnt be so dire but when entire countries are being destroyed what have you got to lose?

Hopefully now with them having a ship the story wont be so ridiculous and people will notice shes alive or wonder "oh dam how can the humans fly this ship that only the royal family can operate?!?!"

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya but i mean, what would she accomplish by revealing herself? its not like she would have made any difference? she revealed to the mars aldnoah (the first mech on ep2 or 3) and ordered the knight to stop, the guy didnt give a fuck (well he was scared/surprised to see her alive but thats it), its not like she could launch fireballs, or stopping the mechs herself from what they shown, she didnt do anything. Only thing she can do (so far) its starting the aldnoah tech up.

I would have agree with you if she could override the mech used by other knight or have some secret power to command em, but so far havent shown any. Plus i think she just listened to inaho advice, as if im not mistaken they had a meeting about if revealing herself or not.

Yeah, now they can operate the thing so she is out on the open for the ppl in the carrier, but considering the comms are contolled by the mars force they could still control the flow of informations (princess alive but prisoner/forced against her will etc etc..). About human side noticing i mean i doubt it will be a worldwide thing, as they are kinda cut off communication wise

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree that Aldnoah is just getting better, this last episode was great. Also, Irregular HS is just as good, this Yokohama arc is shaping up nicely.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
This is a great time for anime at the moment, with like at least 3 hours worth of shows airing per week that are top notch. I haven't seen a season this packed with watchable shows in a quite a while.

TOP 5 IMO

HxH
Toyko Ghoul
Aldnoah
Irregular HS
Akame ga Kill