Summer 2017 Anime Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So... I never was really into Anime, I mean I watched Dragon Ball/Tenchi Muyo when I was younger on Toonami and I watched Death Note when it came to Netflix. I never could get into shit like Onepunch Man or Attack on Titan or anything else my weeaboo friends would recommend. The most obscure thing I could say I watched was Berserk only because I played the Dreamcast game.

I was pulling an all nighter and was scrolling through Youtube to find something to listen too/watch and I came across something called Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and 14 Episodes later I'm hooked.

The shit is just...cute for the sake of being cute and It's just fucking adorable. Anyways I'm totally hooked on this show I even bought the books for the first time in my life. They came backwards even though they are in english.

I don't know if I should recommend it or not because I think it may be some Japanese brainwashing because I would of never ever went to Etsy to look for Tohru merchandise.

So anyways I guess i'm a weeaboo now and I should fit myself for a Fedora and body pillow.

If you like shows like that, there are quality shows in that genre every season. You have dozens to catch up on.

I recommend Isekai Shokudou if you want something from this season.

If you don't mind stuff from previous seasons, Hataraku Maou-sama, Flying Witch, New Game, and even Kono Suba would be up your alley.

Also drop everything and watch the best anime of all time, Shokugeki no Soma, because there's a new season coming out next week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
No problem there. Dragon Maid was actually a pretty good show. The one girl eating the insects and shit was definitely adorable. I don't agree with Chys' choice of Isekai Shokudou, though. I saw the first episode, and that shit was god awful. Large head / small body CGI does nothing for me. You "might" like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. It's a feels roller-coaster type of show, as opposed to adorable. The main character plays piano well, and the cute blonde chick plays the violin. They pair nicely for this series.

• 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
No problem there. Dragon Maid was actually a pretty good show. The one girl eating the insects and shit was definitely adorable. I don't agree with Chys' choice of Isekai Shokudou, though. I saw the first episode, and that shit was god awful. Large head / small body CGI does nothing for me. You "might" like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. It's a feels roller-coaster type of show, as opposed to adorable. The main character plays piano well, and the cute blonde chick plays the violin. They pair nicely for this series.

Wait what? None of the shows I mentioned have CGI...

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh whoops, I suck. I actually do like Isekai Shokudou. For some reason I read that as Ikemen Sengoku. And that show is an abomination.

83888fe8d482e94936c522e032d94d591497848747_full.jpg

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Definitely recommend Flying Witch in the cute category.
There are a lot of shows in the "cute girls doing cute things" genre.

Edit : Almost forgot : you have to add Non Non Biyori to your list.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Man, now I'm gonna have to watch Flying Witch again. As soon as the OP starts, I just start grinning like a moron. Chito = best pet.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Made in Abyss still creepy as fuck. Saw Nanachi's request coming from a mile away.

Just caught up. Creepy as fuck, and did NOT see that coming. Christ that show gives me a weird vibe for some reason.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Made is Abyss is what happens when you cross the fucked up/weird parts of Evangelion and Miyazaki films

So... I never was really into Anime, I mean I watched Dragon Ball/Tenchi Muyo when I was younger on Toonami and I watched Death Note when it came to Netflix. I never could get into shit like Onepunch Man or Attack on Titan or anything else my weeaboo friends would recommend. The most obscure thing I could say I watched was Berserk only because I played the Dreamcast game.

I was pulling an all nighter and was scrolling through Youtube to find something to listen too/watch and I came across something called Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and 14 Episodes later I'm hooked.

The shit is just...cute for the sake of being cute and It's just fucking adorable. Anyways I'm totally hooked on this show I even bought the books for the first time in my life. They came backwards even though they are in english.

I don't know if I should recommend it or not because I think it may be some Japanese brainwashing because I would of never ever went to Etsy to look for Tohru merchandise.

So anyways I guess i'm a weeaboo now and I should fit myself for a Fedora and body pillow.

Welcome my son. If you like things that are cute but actually watchable & good, here's some suggestions:

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Amaama to Inazuma
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Demi-chan wa Kataritai
Flying Witch
Isshuukan Friends.
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Ore Monogatari!!
Tsuki ga Kirei

Action, comedy and everything else:

91 Days
Black Lagoon -- watch the dub
Boku no Hero Academia
Cowboy Bebop -- watch the dub
Death Parade
Fate/Zero
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Jin-Rou
Jormungand
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
Little Witch Academia (TV)
Log Horizon
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica -- do yourself a favor and don't do any research about this show at all, go in blind.... trust me
Mob Psycho 100
Nanatsu no Taizai
No Game No Life
Overlord
Psycho-Pass
Re:Creators
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
Sabage-bu!
Sakamoto desu ga?
Shingeki no Kyojin
Shirobako
Steins;Gate
Trigun
Youjo Senki

A lot of those have second/third seasons. If I had to pick 5 to watch (this is assuming you haven't already seen them) I'd go with Cowboy Bebop, FMA:B, GITS:SAC, Black Lagoon, and Death Parade.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ordinal Scale story and player interaction is just kinda infuriating.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The finale to some of the shows this season have been good. I liked the Elite Classroom one. That guy is ruthless.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
The finale to some of the shows this season have been good. I liked the Elite Classroom one. That guy is ruthless.

Yeah I was considering dropping that one about halfway through but glad I stuck with it. Was entertaining and I def want to see more seasons of it.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
And they implied that he paid money to join Classroom D, instead of being in A by default. Interesting.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Damn, I was not ready for that Mitty/Nanachi backstory in the Made in Abyss finale. Hope this does get picked up for a second season.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Wow, the finale of Made in Abyss was pretty deep. No pun intended. It was a very quality end to the season. Like Derkon says, I hope it has a season 2 in its future. I actually liked the floating balloon segment. Very well done. Watch until the very end.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Wow, the finale of Made in Abyss was pretty deep. No pun intended. It was a very quality end to the season. Like Derkon says, I hope it has a season 2 in its future. I actually liked the floating balloon segment. Very well done. Watch until the very end.

Nananchi's backstory didn't have much chance of being cheerful and uplifting did it ?
Finding out Nanachi was a murder-muppet serial killer didn't seem to phase Reg much ;p

I was actually a bit surprised to see Bondrewd still alive - the number of graves in Nanachi's backyard suggest they've been there a very long time. Though, I guess the white whistles have probably undergone similar transformations for the same reason - it would explain a lot about Ozen.

That as a great ending to the series. I'd nominate Made in Abyss for best of the season personally.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That as a great ending to the series. I'd nominate Made in Abyss for best of the season personally.

Indeed, I hope they make a second season, it seems they have enough material for it.

• 1Like

Jox

Molten Core Raider
That was like watching someone have to put their life long dog down.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice way to end the season for Hero Academia, great stuff is coming.

• 1Like