Summer 2018 Anime

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Hanebado! - It's a new sports show about badminton of all things. The animation is great. Action looks very reminiscent of Haikyuu
Saw the first five minutes yesterday, and it is indeed amazing animation. But I can smell it veering off into drama. The only question is: Is it good drama, or pointless drama for drama's sake.

High Score Girl is pretty funny as a manga (still ongoing), so if you were ever into arcade games and the history surrounding them along with some slice of life you might like it.
High Score Girl is one amazing love story, where the girl is rich, good at video games ... and doesn't talk. At least not the the MC. I hope they don't fuck this up with poor production. The preview trailer looked like lots of 3DCG.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Fate/Extra Last Encore just showed up on Netflix. Guessing it's about the video game...dunno yet haven't watched it yet.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Do they ever plan on doing anymore Re:Zero? It's been what...2 years now?

When do the new shows start?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Do they ever plan on doing anymore Re:Zero? It's been what...2 years now?
Maybe. Re:Zero has the same problem most LN/manga adaptations have, namely that currently there is not enough material and/or a good point (or end of an arc) to end another anime on. Even the point where the anime ended was a non-organic point, because right the fucking second after the end of the anime shit really hit the fan.
Emilia answers to Subaru: "Who's Rem?", with him realizing that Rem has been attacked by Ley Batenkaitos/Gluttony and her whole existence erased from everyones memories. Of course with Subaru trying to reset again by killing himself, and landing on the same spot where he wakes up on Emilias lap.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah. I know what happens in the light novel. I was just curious if they had any plans to expand the anime.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Well, in March, the 16th Light Novel of Re: Zero was released in Japan. The primary rule of thumb for LN to Anime transfer is 1 book = 3 episodes. Now there were actually 26 episodes of the anime, which translates to ~9 LN's. If they wanted to have another extended season, they'll have to wait until he writes a little more. I'd say another year should be sufficient to get enough for a double season just like the first one.

At the same time, English translation is only up to book 7 so far, which sucks. Book 8 comes in October. Boo... Wasn't that EpiPen guy financing a Rem based Anime season using the same voice actors? Or was that just a video game?

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Saw the first five minutes yesterday, and it is indeed amazing animation. But I can smell it veering off into drama. The only question is: Is it good drama, or pointless drama for drama's sake.

Really want to watch it, animatiion quality looks awesome, but all these reports of drama i've been getting really turn me off. I do not watch sport animes for the drama.

Fate/Extra Last Encore just showed up on Netflix. Guessing it's about the video game...dunno yet haven't watched it yet.

Yup, based on the game with a few rewrites by Nasu. Beware though, weirdly, Netflix released it before it was even really finished. The show started late in Winter and stopped at episode 10. There are 2 or 3 more episodes expected in July.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I was just curious if they had any plans to expand the anime.
I forgot: There was talk about an Re:Zero OVA coming to movie theaters which should have been announced at Anime Japan 2018, which was at the end of march 2018. No one ever heard about it again.

There is another problem, at least according to industry rumours: almost all big animation studios are completely booked for years, at least up to 2020. There also isn't much fresh talent to go around, as the population is aging and animation work pays a pittance with stupidly long hours. Exceptional series only happen when either the director brings his rolodex of talented friends (which for example happened to One Punch Man) or brings fresh talent (which happened to Mob Psycho 100). The inbetweeners (which are either from Korea or Vietnam) are most likely also booked out completely.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Hanebado i'll follow for sure. Animation too good. Yeah it'll have drama but i don't think it's going to be the center of it.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked Hanebado, but I can certainly see the chance of it becoming more focused on drama than on the sport (with some fanservice, of course). Just give me more Haikyuu!, please.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I forgot: There was talk about an Re:Zero OVA coming to movie theaters which should have been announced at Anime Japan 2018, which was at the end of march 2018. No one ever heard about it again.

There is another problem, at least according to industry rumours: almost all big animation studios are completely booked for years, at least up to 2020. There also isn't much fresh talent to go around, as the population is aging and animation work pays a pittance with stupidly long hours. Exceptional series only happen when either the director brings his rolodex of talented friends (which for example happened to One Punch Man) or brings fresh talent (which happened to Mob Psycho 100). The inbetweeners (which are either from Korea or Vietnam) are most likely also booked out completely.
look at fucking last eva movie delayed from 2015, then delayed again cuz of gojira, they're starting up now.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
df70fc40-4228-436c-8902-22d25a5915dd.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The best girl in that show is the slightly sexy looking one that can make items. I noticed her back when creepy sticky ball guy stared at her ass during the school event.

I wonder if invisi-girl is any good. We've never seen her, though.

TB2QkeVcCRRMKJjy0FlXXXFepXa_!!768991852.jpg

Toru.png
BigGentleBengaltiger-size_restricted.gif

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Pretty good start with two new mmo game animes, one reminds me of overlord (guy is summoned into the game and has high level powers) and the other like log horizon/sao (permanent deletion of character when you die).

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu
Shichisei no Subaru

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So far I'm planning on watching Attack on Titan, MHA, Steins Gate, and Overlord. Hopefully Overlord improves over the last season, because I was bored for most of that.

I gave Hanebado a shot due to what you guys were saying about it. The animation was definitely well done and it seemed decent enough overall to give it a few episodes.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Pretty good start with two new mmo game animes, one reminds me of overlord (guy is summoned into the game and has high level powers) and the other like log horizon/sao (permanent deletion of character when you die).

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu
Shichisei no Subaru

Not to nitpick but you LH doesn't have permadeath, just you lose memories or some shit. Been a while since season 2, wish they'd continue it.

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Well I mentioned log horizon for the party and dungeon aspect that was showed, while I mentioned sao for the more serious real life impact it had, the perma death, although that death wasn't directly tied to dying in the game. Just the vibes I got off of it rather than the other mmo game animes out there. I think it's worth a watch for anyone interested in those mmo game animes.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw the Zombie show. It didn't really do anything for me, but then again I've never liked any of the previous zombie shows.
Zombie & her maid (also a zombie). They kill people and can take their shapes. Who cares.

Banana Fish - Some drug that causes people to go crazy. Then you get into some guy that was brought into a crime family by the gay Don. Then some other gay guy likes him. Also a guy with purple hair. Fuck this show too.

Chio-Chan was also pretty weak. It's a story about the various paths some girl takes to get to school. I totally don't care about any of this.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I saw the Zombie show. It didn't really do anything for me, but then again I've never liked any of the previous zombie shows.
Zombie & her maid (also a zombie). They kill people and can take their shapes. Who cares.

Banana Fish - Some drug that causes people to go crazy. Then you get into some guy that was brought into a crime family by the gay Don. Then some other gay guy likes him. Also a guy with purple hair. Fuck this show too.

Chio-Chan was also pretty weak. It's a story about the various paths some girl takes to get to school. I totally don't care about any of this.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention it... Banana Fish is totally gay. Like ultra super gay. Like Tanoomba in a kindergarten playground gay.

• 1Worf