Sunglasses/eyewear

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I've always been a huge fan of Oakley's but I keep getting tempted by the ones that the main character wears in Burn Notice, I just have nfi what they are.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I stick to the cheap 15$ ones at Walmart. I break or lose them way to often to spend real money.

Polarized + 100% UVA/UVB + Halfway decent looks is all I care about.
Same here. I have owned two pairs of $100+ sunglasses and I can't say I notice any difference between them and the gas station glasses I generally wear and I broke both pairs of them within 2 months of buying them. Seems like the price is inversely proportional to how long I can go without losing or breaking them so lately I have been wearing tinted safety glasses that my brother from his job and left at my house :p.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I got some Oakley Oil Rigs last Christmas and have put them through a ton of punishment and have had zero issues with them breaking. Great sunglasses imo.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I got some Oakley Oil Rigs last Christmas and have put them through a ton of punishment and have had zero issues with them breaking. Great sunglasses imo.
Love Oakley's. Up to 4 pair now. Never had any issues with any of them. They are VERY well made.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, if you think Oakleys are well made, you just haven't ever had any other brand of >$100 sunglasses. You're comparing their quality to cheapo gas station/wal mart sunglasses, which they are better than.

Oakleys are made of cheap plastic(frames and lenses), they really aren't very good. I've owned many pairs of Oakleys in the past, and eventually moving on to Revos and then Maui Jims(once Revo went to crap) there was just no comparison in the quality of the frames and lenses.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Honestly, if you think Oakleys are well made, you just haven't ever had any other brand of >$100 sunglasses. You're comparing their quality to cheapo gas station/wal mart sunglasses, which they are better than.

Oakleys are made of cheap plastic(frames and lenses), they really aren't very good. I've owned many pairs of Oakleys in the past, and eventually moving on to Revos and then Maui Jims(once Revo went to crap) there was just no comparison in the quality of the frames and lenses.
I really have to disagree with this. I was just going through a box last night for something else and came across one of my Oakley pairs that I brought back in '98. There are maybe a few scratches on the lens but the frames are still in great shape and they are still as usable as they were when first purchased....things are damn near unbreakable as far as I'm concerned. Only Oakley's I've ever had break on me were a pair of Mambo's that had the frame snap in half after I cam off a mountain bike at ~80kph in a downhill event/

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

The inmates and probations are metal frames man. (What I own). The lenses are plastic, but that's cool, they take a beating.

I own a pair of Blackrocks, but they don't fit my face (in style) compared to the Oakleys.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I've been wearing two different pairs of Loc's (Oakley and a generic orange-tint) for 20 years.

Been trying to find a new pair off and on, but never really found any I liked. Anyone have any suggestions? They have to cover my peripheral vision, I hate any light getting in at all. :/ And I prefer them light, not bulky.

edit: Hard to agree with Joeboo, considering I've had my Oakley's for 20 years, and not a scratch on them. I don't take very good care of them either, they get flipped on my passenger seat, worn by my kids, etc...

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I've always had a tendency to get drunk and break/scratch up my sunglasses so I just stock up every now and then at this one kiosk with decent shades.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I've always had a tendency to get drunk and break/scratch up my sunglasses so I just stock up every now and then at this one kiosk with decent shades.
That is what I USED to do. Spend the 200 bucks on some Oakley's, and never buy sun glasses again.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Looks like the kind I like are "fishing style" loc-style Oakleys. Going to keep searching. If anyone has good experience with a particular model, let me know please. I'm a total novice as I stuck with the same two pair for decades.

quse

the pupe
On June 21, 2007, Italian group Luxottica announced a plan to merge with Oakley in a cash deal worth $2.1 billion, and the deal was completed on November 15, 2007. Oakley is now in the portfolio of Milan-based Luxottica group, along with other brands such as Ray-Ban, Persol, and Vogue.
Going to guess Joeboo means Oakleys are shitty now - but weren't always.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Ive had a pair of Smith Tenet's with the polarchromic glass lenses for about a year now, best lenses i have ever tried. Have had Costa's and Maui Jims before, these are better.

rrr_img_4270.jpg

rrr_img_4270.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I am a big fan ofNatives. I generally need a pair of sunglasses that not only look decent, but are also usable in athletics. Natives offer that plus interchangeable lenses that are great for the pacfic northwest where I never know if it'll be clowdy or sunny when I go mountain biking or whatever. You can also find them for 1/2 the price atThe Clymbfairly often.

My current pair are the ITSO's and I love them. (Lenses aren't nearly as transparent as the picture makes them out to be)
379_alt1_image.jpg

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If you spend a large amount of time staring at computer monitors I highly recommend you pick a pair of Gunnars, they really help with eye strain especially if your eyes are sensitive to light.

Woot has them on sale quite often for 50-70% off.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If youre gonna be a fool and blow a $100+ dollars on a pair of sunglasses you might as well pickup a pair of Oakleys, as at least youre gonna get something for your money besides more than just a label.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If youre gonna be a fool and blow a $100+ dollars on a pair of sunglasses you might as well pickup a pair of Oakleys, as at least youre gonna get something for your money besides more than just a label.
That's exactly what Oakleys are though. They are basically Ray-Ban lenses in a different shaped frame, and marked up 100% over what they should cost.

Oakleys are the Bose of sunglasses. Their price tag makes people think they are quality, rather than their quality justifying the price.

edit-Christ, just looked up Ray-Bans, had no idea that most were in the $150+ range nowadays. Put them in the same category as Oakley too then, Sunglasses that are at least twice the price of what they should be based on their actual production quality.

I think if anyone here that regularly wears Oakleys had the opportunity to swap them out for some Maui Jims, Costa Del Mar, or the Smith Tenet's mentioned above, you'd be amazed at the difference. Yeah, standing at a mall kiosk in artificial lighting and trying them all on doesn't really show you how much of a difference there is when you get into natural sunlight. Oakley just makes things darker, which is what most people expect out of a basic pair of sunglasses. Oakley does the same thing as a $10 pair of sunglasses from Wal-Mart, the're just in a fancier frame with a popular logo on them. The brands I listed above don't just darken your view to reduce eye strain, they reduce eye strain by blocking glare while making colors more vivid, rather than being washed out in bright sunlight. You'd be shocked at how different they look in outdoor use.

Look, I don't want to sound like some sort of retarded sunglasses elitist, if you just buy sunglasses for the way they look as a fashion statement, then buy what you think looks the best. But if you actually want a pair of sunglasses with the best lenses (reduce eye strain while not altering/drastically darkening the world around you, actually enhancing vision), then look into the brands I mentioned above.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Went to the eye doc, they told me I need to start wearing sunglasses because the sun is already starting to scar my eyes from not wearing any.

got a pair of these for 6 bucks at H and M
large]