Sunglasses/eyewear

Went to the eye doc, they told me I need to start wearing sunglasses because the sun is already starting to scar my eyes from not wearing any.

I haven't stepped foot out of my house without shades on since I was 15, fries my eyes. I do live in the tropics tho, the sun is fucking harsh.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's exactly what Oakleys are though. They are basically Ray-Ban lenses in a different shaped frame, and marked up 100% over what they should cost.

Oakleys are the Bose of sunglasses. Their price tag makes people think they are quality, rather than their quality justifying the price.

edit-Christ, just looked up Ray-Bans, had no idea that most were in the $150+ range nowadays. Put them in the same category as Oakley too then, Sunglasses that are at least twice the price of what they should be based on their actual production quality.

I think if anyone here that regularly wears Oakleys had the opportunity to swap them out for some Maui Jims, Costa Del Mar, or the Smith Tenet's mentioned above, you'd be amazed at the difference. Yeah, standing at a mall kiosk in artificial lighting and trying them all on doesn't really show you how much of a difference there is when you get into natural sunlight. Oakley just makes things darker, which is what most people expect out of a basic pair of sunglasses. Oakley does the same thing as a $10 pair of sunglasses from Wal-Mart, the're just in a fancier frame with a popular logo on them. The brands I listed above don't just darken your view to reduce eye strain, they reduce eye strain by blocking glare while making colors more vivid, rather than being washed out in bright sunlight. You'd be shocked at how different they look in outdoor use.

Look, I don't want to sound like some sort of retarded sunglasses elitist, if you just buy sunglasses for the way they look as a fashion statement, then buy what you think looks the best. But if you actually want a pair of sunglasses with the best lenses (reduce eye strain while not altering/drastically darkening the world around you, actually enhancing vision), then look into the brands I mentioned above.
Lol was trying to point out that at least Oakleys offer ballistics protection for your eyes, not that they have better clarity, design or look.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lol was trying to point out that at least Oakleys offer ballistics protection for your eyes, not that they have better clarity, design or look.
When I used to buy Oakleys back in the 90s I used to always chuckle at the little claim in the booklet that came with them stating "will stop a shotgun blast from 20 feet" or something of that sort. That's all well and good, but what is the rest of your face/head going to look like? lol.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I haven't stepped foot out of my house without shades on since I was 15, fries my eyes. I do live in the tropics tho, the sun is fucking harsh.
Yeah, I can't deal without sunglasses, but I'm in South Florida. I think I have sensitive eyes though, because even in overcast weather I squint without sunglasses on.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Since I had my eyes laserbeamed I've definitely become more sensitive to bright sunlight. I'm up around 50 degrees latitude, so it's not like we have super bright sun here, but we do get a massive amount of clear, sunny weather in the summer here.

When I used to buy Oakleys back in the 90s I used to always chuckle at the little claim in the booklet that came with them stating "will stop a shotgun blast from 20 feet" or something of that sort. That's all well and good, but what is the rest of your face/head going to look like? lol.
Any glasses with Polycarbonate lenses offer 'ballistic protection'. $5 safety glasses from the hardware store are made of the same stuff, it's a marketing gimmick , almost all modern sunglasses are made from polycarb.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
bumping this...lost my beloved Maui Jims in a freak accident this week(went to push them to the top of my head while in a porta-potty, they snapped in half at the nose and the half I wasn't holding fell right in the shitter...fuck sake)

Anyways, anyone have some nice brands of sunglasses that they like besides the ones already mentioned a couple years ago in this thread?

Going to check out:
Smith Optics
Costa Del Mars
Kaenon

I don't NEED to spend $300+ on a pair of sunglasses, but I need polarized, and I much prefer metal/wire framing to plastic and it seems like to get that in most of the brands mentioned you're looking at $250+ usually. I'm also just not a big fan of the style of Ray-Bans, it's like the lenses are too big or something for my face.

I like this shape/style:
rrr_img_2971.jpg

And my old Maui Jims looked about like this:
images

Not these:
0410768196950_247x329.jpg

Nor these
frown.png
the wrap around the head/Oakley style)
106840647_amazoncom-arnette-sunglasses-catfish-matte-black-sports-.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I know you said no Ray Ban but maybe look at Ray-Ban RB3183? I've had a pair for maybe 5 years. I don't really wear them anymore since they aren't my aesthetic but they're pretty decent sunglasses. Mine are the Italian made ones though, not sure if they've farmed this model out to China yet or not.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I know you said no Ray Ban but maybe look at Ray-Ban RB3183? I've had a pair for maybe 5 years. I don't really wear them anymore since they aren't my aesthetic but they're pretty decent sunglasses. Mine are the Italian made ones though, not sure if they've farmed this model out to China yet or not.
those actually look pretty good. I wasn't really aware that Ray Ban made sunglasses that were shaped drastically different than aviators. Aviators just look odd on my face. Thanks for the heads up on those

Tenks

You can get better aviators for cheaper anyways than Ray Ban. I'm currently wearing a pair of Randolph Engineering aviators as my go-to pair. Though I do have a pair of vintage 80's Ray Ban aviators I got from my dad when he did air control for the Navy. Those things are a tank.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Keep in mind that you can have custom lenses made by an optician: pick the darkness, color, thickness, polarized, with correction, etc. I found a pair of ray ban I liked, frame wise, but the lenses were less than impressive. Turns out custom lenses were $50 bucks. I've been using the same sunglasses for a decade, so it was well worth it and I still have the original lenses in a box, so I can pop them in when the customs will be too scratched.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I wear Oakleys since they have the best selection of frames for men who have tiny head syndrome like me. They're overpriced but they are better than cheap brands. The best pair of shades I ever owned were Maui Jims and were also the only goddamn pair of sunglasses I've ever lost. I'd get another pair in a second if they still made that same frame but everything they have currently is too big for my face, or ugly.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Found a website that has REALLY good prices on sunglasses

Maui-Jim @ Eyesovernight.com

Found some Maui Jims that I liked, they were about $170 on Amazon, and most other sites that I checked. They were only $112 at eyesovernight.com. I couldn't believe how much cheaper they were than everyone else. But shipping was free, and fast. Ordered them on a Sunday and had them on Wednesday(looks like they ship out of Florida)

highly recommend them if anyone is shopping for new sunglasses, they have about every brand you could possibly think of. An conveniently, they use Amazon checkout, so if you have an Amazon account you can just log into that and pay through your stored info there, you don't have to give this new website any of your personal credit card info, it stays with Amazon.

Ended up going with this pair:
https://www.eyesovernight.com/produc...unglasses/6783

I just couldn't justify paying $250+ again for metal/wire framed sunglasses like I got last time, so went plastic this time around, but they're really comfortable and insanely light.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
^ are these legit sunglasses or is it like when you buy cologne on amazon and end up with piss water in a Dior bottle? They have ridiculous prices on Oliver Peoples glasses.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've had these for about 12 years now, still going strong. Only thing I have to do is replace lens every couple years due to sand/dirt blowing around and slowly scratching them. No color fading or warping nothing. Pretty awesome. And sunglasses are a must have here.

rrr_img_118030.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
^ are these legit sunglasses or is it like when you buy cologne on amazon and end up with piss water in a Dior bottle? They have ridiculous prices on Oliver Peoples glasses.
I have to assume they are legit. They're partnered with Amazon for payments, and they've also applied to be a "Google Trusted Store" whatever that means. Google sent me a long survey about their service. They're a US company, not some shady overseas company with a warehouse in some 3rd world country(my shipments came from Florida).

The $120 pair of Maui Jims I just bought came packaged in the exact same manner as the $300 pair I bought 3 years ago. Same bag, same case, same booklet, same branding on the inside of the rims, etc. If they aren't legit, they're a really, REALLY high quality forgery, lol.

Tenks

They're probably legit but just operate kind of like Sierra Trading Post where they buy overstocks/old season/2nds and sell them at a deep discount

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I got some coach shades at an outlet and I've gotten several compliments on them. They're like 80 bucks.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
How many compliments? I want to make sure before I purchase.