Super Mario Bros. (2022)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Maybe you should look at who actually posted the critic review and who responded to the critic review as if it mattered for shit?

Currently 98% audience score on RT which is promising.

all I’m saying is routinely RT as a whole, gets shit on constantly here, so I always find it odd when it’s posted and people are like “bad score in RT…”

just makes me laugh.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I like RT and usually agree with the audience reviews. Ill give movies a shot that the audience hated and usually hate the movie myself. And then regret not listening to them lol.

I will do the same for this movie though too. Easy time waster for background noise while working. Definitely nothing Ill pay for.

Yeah usually I’ll check out audience score in there if I look at all.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
all I’m saying is routinely RT as a whole, gets shit on constantly here, so I always find it odd when it’s posted and people are like “bad score in RT…”

just makes me laugh.
Reviews from any mainstream source like RT is just paid shilling or an agenda in my mind. What they have to say just generally doesnt matter to me. But looking at user reviews on those websites are usually a good sign of what the movie will be like, good or bad, etc. Ya, you have to scroll over like 50 comments that are absolutely fucking useless. But when you scroll over a game review on steam and it says shit like "Fails to load" about a dozen times - you might just be concerned about the fucking game not loading correctly and wait.

Mario is a movie based off a video game - so my expectations of it are already going to be low. As should anyone elses. If its enjoyable - then its a win/win.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i played that game for weeks back in the day and its fucking hilarious. i swear every kid in the theater would be rolling if Pratt sounded like that. he isnt even trying to sound like Mario in the trailer. BTW dont ever play Superman 64. worst video game in history.

It sure is the worst. Somehow, I beat Superman 64. What a very Rajaah thing to do.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

just makes me laugh.
Critic scores from any source get shit on constantly here, and considering how often there is a wild disconnect between critic score and user score it shouldn't be some huge fucking mystery as to why critic scores get shit on.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
oh, Peach is worse than Mario. Plotwise, not a fan from what we see. The Wreck it ralph comparison is good. its just a bunch of referances, and doesn't seem like a coherent world.

That was my issue with Ready Player One (well, one of them). The movie was full of game references that popped the crowd, but almost none of it meant anything. "Look! It's the Iron Giant! I was attached to him as a kid!"

Going to need to see Geno.

I'm surprised this Mario movie didn't go the route of a lot of modern adaptations by starting with some kind of origin story movie, saving the iconic villain for the second one.

They could have actually done this pretty well and maybe mined a series out of it by having the first movie be Mario vs Donkey Kong and general world introduction. Then the second is Mario and Peach vs Bowser to save Luigi (SMB1), then Mario/Peach/Luigi vs Bowser and his kids with airships (SMB3) and so on.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i never trust critic scores anymore lol look at this

1680744186963.png

i'm sure lotta fans are stanning but still thats a wild swing

Malakriss

Metacritic looks similar, but half of the 10/10 user ratings there are spanish comments. Is that typical or just a firm Nintendo paid off?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That was my issue with Ready Player One (well, one of them). The movie was full of game references that popped the crowd, but almost none of it meant anything. "Look! It's the Iron Giant! I was attached to him as a kid!"

I'm surprised this Mario movie didn't go the route of a lot of modern adaptations by starting with some kind of origin story movie, saving the iconic villain for the second one.

They could have actually done this pretty well and maybe mined a series out of it by having the first movie be Mario vs Donkey Kong and general world introduction. Then the second is Mario and Peach vs Bowser to save Luigi (SMB1), then Mario/Peach/Luigi vs Bowser and his kids with airships (SMB3) and so on.
yeah, a Donkey Kong origin would be great, it would explain how he met Pincess Peach, the supposed chick Kong has kidnapped or that could be his ex GF or whatever. the reason why they didnt go with that is because a woman needs no man in "today's modern audiences" and so a premise around her rescue by a man would not be acceptable. they would either have to have him be rescued by her or not at all. it also doesnt expand the NCU enough as a jumping board for other properties to be shoehorned in. there is a lot at stake with this film and a simple story about an italian man dodging barrels thrown by a crazy gorilla is too simplistic.

• 1EyeRoll

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I went to the theatre yesterday to see a different movie, but the place was absolutely packed with people who were there for Mario

this film is gonna make a fuuuuuck ton of money

IMG_3885.jpeg

• 3Worf

Xevy

Log Wizard
Went to see John Wick and 3000000 kids and their families were letting out of this movie. They're gonna make-a the money!

• 2Like
  • 1Great Review

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Saw it today, 5 adults and 3 children and everyone loved it. It's indeed packed with references and easter eggs but there is an actual (if simple) story, it's very funny and well-animated, looked gorgeous on the big screen. It's really a love letter to the Mario universe, the music especially is really well done.

There's two post-credits scenes.

• 1Great Review
  • 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Took the kids this morning. It was good. Full of nostalgia and Easter eggs as Runnen mentioned. As I was watching it I couldn’t help but think how they’re going to milk this franchise for all it’s worth over the next decade or longer. Luigi’s mansion, Mario Galaxy, there were a couple more things referenced or I noticed where I thought, ah yes that’ll be the next movie. Only part that annoyed me was when Bowser becomes Jack Black. All the actors do a good job of making so you don’t really realize it’s them.

• 2Like

Daidraco

You guys werent kidding. We went to the mall and was going to watch the movie, but we decided to eat first at the restaurant across the way. Just the obscene amount of kids filing into and out of the theatre was nuts. I dont even think Ive ever seen that many kids there, ever. There was a showing every 30 minutes, too. I'll go see it when its not crowded af, but the sheer amount of tickets being sold just means theyre raking in the cash. So glad its not a Disney flick and Chris Pratt is getting the recognition since every alphabet puke fag in the world hates him for w/e reason.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Why anyone shocked the Nintendos is raking in cash. These American Inventors been printing money since the 80s. The Japs know how to entertain.

Next thing some of tardmos will be shocked Demon Slayer been running marvels pockets.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just saw it, I thought it was well done. The story is simple but it doesn't have to be that complicated for this type of movie. Tons of nostalgia for the adults and the kids loved it. There's a ton of source material from the Mario universe so it's somewhat surprising it took this long to make a decent animated movie from it. Even the credits were on point.

• 3Like