Supergirl

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like the show. It definitely feels more Christopher-Reevish than Man of Steel. She even saved a "cat" from a tree in last night's episode. The problem is, they are so close to Christopher Reeves, that it feels a little stale. She works as a reporter, has Jimmy Olsen as a sidekick, has the same powers, and is a nerd. She's even fighting Superman's villains. The showrunners have taken very little risk. My kids love the show, but I found myself getting a little bored last night.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Ok chief.

I like the show. It definitely feels more Christopher-Reevish than Man of Steel. She even saved a "cat" from a tree in last night's episode. The problem is, they are so close to Christopher Reeves, that it feels a little stale. She works as a reporter, has Jimmy Olsen as a sidekick, has the same powers, and is a nerd. She's even fighting Superman's villains. The showrunners have taken very little risk. My kids love the show, but I found myself getting a little bored last night.
I don't mind her "starting small" after some screwups at the start, but it is a little formulaic. However, I feel she's a great Supergirl and portrays the wide-eyed optimism that I would expect from her, so I'm hopeful that it finds its stride soon and becomes as great as I'd like it to be.

And at least they've made a definite effort to make her look quite a bit different in her two roles. Sure it is obvious to us, and should be even to someone like Cat, but at least your average person wouldn't really recognize her unless they saw two pictures side by side.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Black Perry White
Black Jimmy(James) Olsen
Black Iris West
Black Deadshot

Would be better to just introduce new characters instead of forcing a race change on established characters, James Olsen isn't even like the comic Jimmy Olsen, looks more like a case of identity theft lol.
To be fair nobody has cared about or has been interested in making Jimmy Olsen work since Darkseid sat on his couch in 1970.

Female empowerment is fine. Supergirl is fine. It just needs to grow beyond it.

"not bad for a girl" /bleh

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its still a little cringeworthy, but i chalk that up to the show finding its footing. there were some good moments. certainly dont mind those shots of her in yoga pants.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I find the clumsy footing somewhat endearing. Comparing it to Christopher Reeves is pretty spot on. I like that she separates from Superman in that there is a team instead of a solo act. Also, that she remembers Krypton and the family connection is kind of cool. Potential for building something cool is there, just hope they do it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
They are going to have to tone down homeboy for next week, or Supergirl is done. I remember him blowing Kryptonian's hearts out in one shot with his Gold Kryptonite laser.

rrr_img_115281.jpg

Cybsled

13mil would be hard to sustain...shows like Big Bang Theory and The Voice/Dancing with the Stars pull those numbers.

8.5m is a solid rating in this day and age. However, it is only the 2nd episode. Around episode 6 or 8 will give you a better idea as to what its natural numbers are.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah if it continues to decline that's not good. Losing 1/3 of your audience in a week is pretty bad, but they had a pretty huge media push for the first one.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They also had some high rated TV show moved from its normal timeslot to be the lead-in for the pilot. Now the show is in its own timeslot. So Supergirl pulling in 8.5m by itself is pretty decent. I expect that number will still drop some more, but its beating Gotham right now, so its too early to write this series off

Column_sl

shitlord
I doubt the network expects to hit big bang theory type of numbers. That type of show is going to hit a wider demo then Supergirl would.

Either way, what they are pulling is decent numbers.

Here are the numbers from OCt 6th. So Supergirl in it's second week pulled in twice the viewers of the Flash Season Premiere.

Seems like only Cop dramas can consistently pull high ratings. Probly why there is so many of them

8 p.m. The Voice (NBC) (8-10 p.m.) 2.2/7 9.24
NCIS (CBS) 2.1/7 16.57
The Muppets (ABC) 1.6/6 4.85
The Flash (The CW) - P 1.4/5 3.42
Grandfathered (FOX) 1.1/4 3.76
8:30 p.m. Fresh Off the Boat (ABC) 1.8/6 4.87
The Grinder (FOX) 1.0/3 3.1
9 p.m. NCIS: New Orleans (CBS) 1.7/5 13.97
Agents of SHIELD (ABC) 1.6/5 4.28
Scream Queens (FOX) 1.1/4 2.91
iZombie (The CW) - P 0.7/2 1.7

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Losing 1/3 of your audience in a week is pretty bad, but they had a pretty huge media push for the first one.
That's the concern the network has. Usually shows don't drop that fast. It's been said, that the fanbase has become discerning about quality, regarding superhero shows. There was an analysis I read, that said that revenue for superhero movies scales somewhat with score on metacritic, regardless of franchise. It implied that this is what Avengers 2 dropped off (the quality wasn't as good). This show was OK, but not great. They need to try to get rid of that "samey vibe." As it is right now, this is just "Clark Kent if he had a vagina."

Karloff_sl

shitlord
And the ratings tanked for ep2. It went from 13m to 8.5m in one week. Not good.
Eh, Agents of Shiel premiered with less viewers and had the same drop in the second episode and seemed to stabilize around 7m for season one, Gotham barely broke 8m for the premier and ended up with 6m-ish for the season. I'd say it's a bit early to worry about numbers till they add all the DVR and all the other rating metrics.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the show.

Column_sl

shitlord
O shit, it's J'onn J'onzz. I didn't realize it the first time I saw the red eyes, but I'm sure now.

That ups this series significantly if I am correct.

It makes sense too, what better place for an Alien to be then in charge of an Alien task force.

Good 3rd episode, I really liked the texting at the end from Clark.

1433649-martian_manhunter.jpg

Ganthorn

N00b
O shit, it's J'onn J'onzz. I didn't realize it the first time I saw the red eyes, but I'm sure now.

That ups this series significantly if I am correct.

It makes sense too, what better place for an Alien to be then in charge of an Alien task force.

Good 3rd episode, I really liked the texting at the end from Clark.
I was thinking the same thing. Especially since he mentioned losing his family etc. But Hank Henshaw is already a character in the universe.Hank Henshaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ahh, so thats how she found out his secret, because she was looking for radiation related stuff. thats pretty fucking cool. good episode, the show is coming along.

Malkav

French Madman
Damn it she is so cute.

Oh, and i found the special effects during fights to be much better in this episode. Much less noticeable cable-fu.