Superman & Lois

Caliane

Every time I get interested in watching this, I see Scarecrow playing Lois and nope out.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I dunno, shes the perfect Lois to me.

Its like that nails on a chalkboard Elizabeth Shue. I've had to stop watching other shows she was in because she grated on me so much. But in The Boys as the Vought bitch? She was perfect, I loved her in that role.

Lois has always been a kind of Olive Oyl figure for me. Its probably the Margot Kidder Lois from my childhood. This one fits that role perfectly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
One technical gripe about this last episode...

I get that he was simulating a red sun to keep Superman suppressed. But even that would mean he'd have to get Supes to expend all the stored yellow sun energy he had. In this case just some red spectrum lighting had the same effect as Kryptonite on him, which I know was a writers plot crutch. Although why didn't he just leverage the x-kryptonite? Or are we going to find out that's a type that doesn't weaken Kryptonians? I still got the point of the scene, but if you need a temporary depowered Supes there are ways to do that other than "change the lightbulbs in my RV and see if that works".

In this case we saw that even when in direct contact with kryptonite bullets he still had the strength to pull out the bullets, and to heat vision them... So effectively now red lighting is more effective than Kryptonite?

Of course the pulled out kryptonite spikes/bullets raises another question. We know he has super healing, but how does his suit get it? As it literally mended itself the second it wasn't in contact with kryptonite?

All that said I'm still perfectly OK with the episode, but with the reverence they seem to have for the characters I would hope they can nail the details too.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I'm enjoying this still.. but the sons are the weakest points of it, they're terrible actors and trying too hard in the emo some scenes.

• 1Solidarity

Xerge

<Donor>
It's technically the best CW show, sadly. I mean it's really not terrible either but I can't disagree about the kids. I also want the kid with curly hair to cut his hair too eventually...

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Ok..... well now it's gone off the rails for me...
Morgan Edge is now Clarke's kryptonian half brother that was born before their mother went with jor-el....
Now it's another rehash of trying to turn earth into krypton..

Like Spock suddenly had an adopted black sister that no one talked about for 50 years...

Although I guess shouldn't be treating this as superman canon with the multiverse, this is just another version.

Last edited:

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone watch this on hulu and know if you can see the whole first season right now or only some episodes? My stupid comcast on demand only has the last 2 or so.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
It's technically the best CW show, sadly. I mean it's really not terrible either but I can't disagree about the kids. I also want the kid with curly hair to cut his hair too eventually...

The kid playing Jordan will cut his hair when he also stops wearing baggy clothes (which I suspect are baggy to hide the fact that he's already "Will look good in tights" levels of ripped) when he has his "accepting being Superboy" moment.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just finished watching the show. The kids and everything related to them is the worst part of the show. Ironically, I REALLY like the show's emphasis on Clark and his struggles as a father and husband.

The special effects are wonky, but it's kinda charming in a low budget kind of way.

Spoiler for season 3 and the ending
while I always prefer adherence to the source material, I liked the bizarro stuff from season 2 as well as their take on doomsday. Take this show vs Snyder's batman v Superman usage of doomsday... In that movie we don't really care about doomsday because he's just a revived general zod turned into a big CGI troll.

As soon as we saw doomsday we knew superman was going to die, but the thing is, the death of Superman story arc wasn't really about Superman dying, per se... It was about a world that had gotten used to having superman around. There was a distinct absense that was felt thought the entire dc universe. In Snyder's movie superman is still pretty new to the scene and half the population hates him anyway. Whereas with this show, the threat of CLARK dying is actually worrisome. Lois just got done with cancer, the kids are... Well, the kids... But the show did a great job of showing us who Clark is. There's that quote from kill bill about Clark being Kal-el's costume, which is an interesting idea but fundamentally misunderstands who Clark is. At first I was a little annoyed with how much time they were focusing on Clark instead of Superman, but I'm glad they did because it gives them a completely fresh angle to view the death of Superman

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Just finished watching the show. The kids and everything related to them is the worst part of the show. Ironically, I REALLY like the show's emphasis on Clark and his struggles as a father and husband.

The special effects are wonky, but it's kinda charming in a low budget kind of way.

while I always prefer adherence to the source material, I liked the bizarro stuff from season 2 as well as their take on doomsday. Take this show vs Snyder's batman v Superman usage of doomsday... In that movie we don't really care about doomsday because he's just a revived general zod turned into a big CGI troll.

As soon as we saw doomsday we knew superman was going to die, but the thing is, the death of Superman story arc wasn't really about Superman dying, per se... It was about a world that had gotten used to having superman around. There was a distinct absense that was felt thought the entire dc universe. In Snyder's movie superman is still pretty new to the scene and half the population hates him anyway. Whereas with this show, the threat of CLARK dying is actually worrisome. Lois just got done with cancer, the kids are... Well, the kids... But the show did a great job of showing us who Clark is. There's that quote from kill bill about Clark being Kal-el's costume, which is an interesting idea but fundamentally misunderstands who Clark is. At first I was a little annoyed with how much time they were focusing on Clark instead of Superman, but I'm glad they did because it gives them a completely fresh angle to view the death of Superman
The best Superman stories are when he lets Clark shine through. Like All Star Superman.

j00t

The best Superman stories are when he lets Clark shine through. Like All Star Superman.
yeah, i think i agree with that. superman at face value is a pretty boring character, but when you get stories that spend time with clark it can really show you that the powers aren't what make superman the icon that he is. it's very much the same thing with captain america and steve rogers. the powers work because the backbone does all the actual heavy lifting

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

its half true.
Farmboy Clark is the real Clark. News reporter Clark IS a mask.

9900a6515daaa92d789bc96730f0fb36.jpg

So there is something to be said about Clark going too far, and news reporter Clark being his view on normal humans. or, its just him intentionally trying to be so small and unassuming, no one looks at him closely.

• 1Like

Cybsled

News guy Clark is going to be under more scrutiny vs farm guy Clark, so makes sense why he would turn up the “gee whiz” factor

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Just finished catching up on this.

Its a funny mix of CW soap opera and legitimately good Superman stuff. Sometimes they hit just the right tone and it was like a good Superman comic. Then its scene change and its a cringey teen drama.

Really dislike the casting change in S3, recasting one of the central characters almost never works and didnt here either. The previous son was annoying but somehow likeable. The new ones just annoying.

Does it get another season?

j00t

Just finished catching up on this.

Its a funny mix of CW soap opera and legitimately good Superman stuff. Sometimes they hit just the right tone and it was like a good Superman comic. Then its scene change and its a cringey teen drama.

Really dislike the casting change in S3, recasting one of the central characters almost never works and didnt here either. The previous son was annoying but somehow likeable. The new ones just annoying.

Does it get another season?
The first Jonathan left because of his mental health and the new Jonathan basically has zero story so while I definitely noticed when they changed actors, I don't think it had any impact after that.

And yes it was greenlit for a new season but basically they didn't renew anyone's contract except for the Kent's and luthor so I have NO idea what they are doing. It would make sense if they moved away from Smallville but I don't know why they'd do that.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Speaking of Luthor, what an awful casting choice.

I thought this season was pretty shitty.

• 1WTF
  • 1Seriously?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Speaking of Luthor, what an awful casting choice.

I thought this season was pretty shitty.
WTF? That dudes great in everything I've seen him in. Dunno if he can pull off the intellectual side of Luthor but he looks the part, once bald, and hes a good actor.