Survivor

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Tony's decision to pull his idol out is baffling to me. The power of it is that you don't have to tell anyone about it, and it's a last "oh shit" kind of play.
With the Madea idol, you don't have to keep it hidden. If they vote for you, you just play it after the votes are read. Besides, as we saw with Russell, idols can be used just as effectively overtly as they are covertly. In fact, I'd say it's a pretty even tossup on overt/covert effectiveness. Think about how many people have been voted out with an idol in their pocket, simply because they kept it a secret and didn't use it advantageously.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
With the Madea idol, you don't have to keep it hidden. If they vote for you, you just play it after the votes are read. Besides, as we saw with Russell, idols can be used just as effectively overtly as they are covertly. In fact, I'd say it's a pretty even tossup on overt/covert effectiveness. Think about how many people have been voted out with an idol in their pocket, simply because they kept it a secret and didn't use it advantageously.
Letting people know you have it could provide the motivation for them to vote for you that wasn't there before. With normal idols, far more people have gotten blindsided after revealing it to their alliance than people who have kept it secret. Information is key in this game, and the more you have that others lack the better.

There are times when you can use it to your advantage (Yul did it perfectly), but I still think that idols are far more successful when kept secret.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yul also had the strongest and unwavering alliance. hell i don't think becky could have turned on yul and would have followed him to a fiery hell with that oppa(older korean brother) shit.

tony doesn't have that.

Funny how?
it just felt like spotty editing, idk, doesn't flow as well as other edited segments.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think he could go either way. He could definitely save himself once by keeping it secret, but if he told them about it, it might discourage them from even trying to get him out and he wouldn't even need to play it. On the other hand, they might just split the vote and force him to play it just to get it out of the game when they might not have voted for him otherwise.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
After half the people just said they'd vote for Tony, his alliance would have no choice but to try and get rid of the idol. Otherwise you're saying, "here's your million dollars, sir."

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
After half the people just said they'd vote for Tony, his alliance would have no choice but to try and get rid of the idol. Otherwise you're saying, "here's your million dollars, sir."
It's happened plenty of times before and it'll likely happen again. Barring some miraculous blindside by Spencer/Tasha, Tony has already won, especially now that he found the idol. Trish is probably the only one who might be able to convince the jury that she made moves, but I don't think she's charismatic enough to pull it off.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
It's happened plenty of times before and it'll likely happen again. Barring some miraculous blindside by Spencer/Tasha, Tony has already won, especially now that he found the idol. Trish is probably the only one who might be able to convince the jury that she made moves, but I don't think she's charismatic enough to pull it off.
Say the alliance holds tight and the final four is Tony, Trish, Woo and Jefra (or Kass, whoever you want here). Tony's idol is no longer in play. If Tony doesn't win the immunity challenge at 4 I can't imagine that 2 of the remaining 3 will go along with him. It happens, like you said, but I think Trish at least would be smart enough to know Tony has to go, and Kass would probably go along with her. Take it a step further and say it's a final 2 this season (as rumored), and that's another vote he'll have to get through or win the challenge. I wouldn't say that he's already won by any means, there's a lot still to happen.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Say the alliance holds tight and the final four is Tony, Trish, Woo and Jefra (or Kass, whoever you want here). Tony's idol is no longer in play. If Tony doesn't win the immunity challenge at 4 I can't imagine that 2 of the remaining 3 will go along with him. It happens, like you said, but I think Trish at least would be smart enough to know Tony has to go, and Kass would probably go along with her. Take it a step further and say it's a final 2 this season (as rumored), and that's another vote he'll have to get through or win the challenge. I wouldn't say that he's already won by any means, there's a lot still to happen.
You seriously think Trish is going to be the one to turn on Tony, even after how quickly she fell right back into lockstep with him? Just moments earlier he had completely blindsided and lied to her face, yet she says on camera, "Well, Tony had good reasons and I trust him". She isn't flipping. Woo is also solidly in his camp, because he'll just pull the "Man, I stuck my neck out for you! LJ wanted you out!". Jeffra he'll be able to completely intimidate. Kass is the only possible wrench in his plans, but she won't have the numbers to do it, unless she switches sides right now. Problem is, he still has the Madea idol. Like I said, barring some crazy shenanigans(an immunity run by Spencer/Tasha) or something completely out of character(which we don't see the entirety of, thanks to editing), Tony has the game on lockdown.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm drunk but I saw Jeffra had full hair pits and I'd still nail her. That blue bikini and her is so hot. It's to the point I forget about Morgan. In this thread I know it's sacrilege but I still want to nail Alexis before Jefra so all hope is not lost for me and Morgan is an afterthought.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if spencer and tash can pull back kass and again try to turn jeffra, that'd be fun to watch. man kass would be awesome if she flipped again. they just need an idiot like jeffra to use as a swing vote.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
You seriously think Trish is going to be the one to turn on Tony, even after how quickly she fell right back into lockstep with him? Just moments earlier he had completely blindsided and lied to her face, yet she says on camera, "Well, Tony had good reasons and I trust him". She isn't flipping. Woo is also solidly in his camp, because he'll just pull the "Man, I stuck my neck out for you! LJ wanted you out!". Jeffra he'll be able to completely intimidate. Kass is the only possible wrench in his plans, but she won't have the numbers to do it, unless she switches sides right now. Problem is, he still has the Madea idol. Like I said, barring some crazy shenanigans(an immunity run by Spencer/Tasha) or something completely out of character(which we don't see the entirety of, thanks to editing), Tony has the game on lockdown.
30 day avatar bet? Tony doesn't win this game.

I actually give Tony the best odds, but I'll take the field AND give you the Russell Hantz caveat. So really the bet is that Tony is in the jury for the final vote.

Edit: It's Survivor, so let's make it 39 days. If Tony gets to the end and gets Hantz'd, it's a draw.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tony's decision to pull his idol out is baffling to me. The power of it is that you don't have to tell anyone about it, and it's a last "oh shit" kind of play. It loses a ton of its value ifanyoneknows you have it. I can't imagine they've all bought into his "Haha, jk, it was fake" crap, and he already knows people want him gone. This just gives his alliance all the more reason to turn on him.
Tony still has one advantage with that idol that no one else will ever have: He's the only person who knows how it works. Everyone else just knows it has "special powers" and that's it. I could see Tony revealing his idol as a way of leveraging that to his advantage. He could tell them it does whatever he wants and they have no way of knowing if he's lying or not.

The game is certainly Tony's to lose, and I still think that's a possibility. He may have played a very strategic game to get to the place he's at, but he's made many enemies by doing so. Tony's social game has been weak, and I'm not certain that once he starts getting called out he'll be cool-headed enough to convince people to vote for him, particularly if he ends up sitting next to someone as non-offensive as Jefra or Woo.

I also have to wonder how the Medea idol might work into it and if that could complicate things for him. If people vote him out and he has to use it, someone could argue that he doesn't deserve to win since he was technically voted out of the game. A similar argument was used against Lil in Pearl Islands and contributed to her losing to Sandra. The circumstances are obviously not identical, but someone who doesn't want Tony to win could use that argument to sway votes the other way. Whether it's an argument that works or not would be interesting to see.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
30 day avatar bet? Tony doesn't win this game.

I actually give Tony the best odds, but I'll take the field AND give you the Russell Hantz caveat. So really the bet is that Tony is in the jury for the final vote.

Edit: It's Survivor, so let's make it 39 days. If Tony gets to the end and gets Hantz'd, it's a draw.
If he gets Hantz'd it's a draw? I think Tony is far and away the best player of the season, I also think he'll be sitting in the final tribal. However, there'salwaysthe possibility of pettiness. We've already seen it being Kass' sole reason for voting out Sarah, Sarah herself before her last tribal and again at Ponderosa, Morgan with the, "You're just mad because you're 40!" to Kass. I could also see Trish jumping ship, once she gets around LJ and the rest, assuming Tony turns on her(one of the reasons why I think Ponderosa is horrible. Too much collusion).

I'll take the bet if Tony is sitting at final tribal, I win. If he's not, you win.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Before this season I've never watched Suvivor. And I must say, this shit is not particularly entertaining. Especially with Morgan gone -- not even much to look at now. Were past seasons more thrilling? I'm not really understanding the popularity of this show.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do you do anything in this forum but post about how shows suck? If you don't like the show, don't watch it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
no it was a good play to "even out" men vs women. b/c in the end, those of the alliance will figure out that they have to get out spencer or tosh the first chance they get. btw worst survivor auction... they don't have pond scum, or live worms, no second guessing or anything really.

i mean since everyone talks about the tyler perry idol, it just brings me back to yul's season of the auction where penner was an ass and just ate everything and yul showed his idol and becky sent candice back to exile, that was exciting, this one was... like just a checklist

survivor things to do:
[/] do a survivor auction
[/] show close up of ppl eating
[/] make someone draw rocks since thats always so cool!!!