SWTOR

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The first Legacy patch was stuff that was meant to be in at launch but they got behind and launched without it. There wasn't a whole lot there and the people that stuck with it holding out hope for "Denova" were left with their dicks in their hand when it turned out to be an instance and not an added planet to explore. Thus its journey to ca$h $hop mode was assured.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
PvP gear was super relevant, but it was also RNG. It was frustrating being rank 75 and seeing people rank 70 or lower better geared than you just because you were unlucky. All I did was PvP in that game and it was enjoyable, but eventually it grew tiring. They had some cool world PvP ideas but unfortunately it just turned out to be the sith base camping the republic.

I wouldn't call the game mechanically fluid though. There was a lot of super clunky shit and the game didn't always work well with the environment. Especially as a sniper, you would often run into delay issue when you went into/out of your sniper stance. I forget what it was called now.

However, levelling in that game was by far the best levelling experience I've had in any mmo. They stories were solid, at least some of them. The imperial agent storyline was really good imo. I went back and played a few others.

But ya, it was pretty clear they put all their effort into the levelling experience. Honestly they should have just made a single player game if they were going to do it the way they did it. Oh well.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I have some old screenshots to back that rng claim up. I remember rerolling from my Marauder due to getting so many useless duplicates from bags. Dozens of bags, garbage. Then i rolled the Juggernaut and first two bags = jackpot. lol

gg fuck implants.jpg

Screenshot_2012-01-14_23_15_35_573326.jpg

Screenshot_2012-01-14_23_16_16_546670.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game was horrible. I played it from the start and was either the first or second Juggernaut to hit max level on my server.

Went directly into the raids with some people as a main tank and the fights were unplayable. If the Rancor wasn't glitching under the map he was instakilling everyone or you died right as you zoned in for no reason or were stuck in combat and couldn't do anything.

The thing that really stuck out for me was public space instancing. All the maps were instanced and capped at like 20 people. Game felt extremely dead even though there were 100 different instances of the same planet. Tatooine especially.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yah, game had a lot of issues. I know in my group alone most people had trouble running it in 2012 as the engine was terribly optimized. I often wonder if they allowed community involvement, would things have been a little different? Allowance to mod that god awful interface would have went miles for many people. It's a shame though, because with more tuning to the combat system it could have went somewhere. Any game that allows mods already has a leg up and increases longevity.

Not gonna lie, I played it for a few years after release duo-boxing two vanguards and it was pretty fun, however I had *zero* illusions about the end game and simply played for the story. Dark-side trooper was pretty memorable. If they coulda kept going with each classes story I would definitely re-up every time they had a drop, however I realize that's super expensive. Doing voice acting for numerous countries for every NPC has got to be costly.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I came back to this game a couple of years ago after playing a couple months at release. The graphics and game-play looked and felt like shit. The cut-scene/intro cinematics though, now that was some top notch stuff. I think we have the technology now to make games that look and "play" like that.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Loved the story quests, but hated slogging through the side quests to get to the next portion of the story. I should have finished my toon's story quests when they had that 10x xp story quest thing going on a few years back. Might try again some time but it will require a serious bout of boredom.

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I played the game at release and rolled Bounty Hunter. The entire story side for every class was awesome and that was the best part of the game. I hit max level right away and joined a guild that was doing the first raid and it was alright. The only fight that stood out to me was the council style fight where everyone had to solo and defeat their own mob to beat it. I played until after the second raid released where you fought some huts and then never touched the game again.

I played healing spec BH, which was a very fun play style, since I was shooting people to heal them. I also remember if you were decked out in raid gear, you were unkillable in PVP and could heal your entire team when fighting over objectives.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Loved the story quests, but hated slogging through the side quests to get to the next portion of the story. I should have finished my toon's story quests when they had that 10x xp story quest thing going on a few years back. Might try again some time but it will require a serious bout of boredom.

They revamped the leveling process a while back. Side quests aren't needed to level anymore, at all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Good to know. Guess I missed that. Makes going back a lot more attractive.

Yeah, at launch all the side quest were such a long slog, you'd get back to the epic main story quest and be like "uhhh....what was I doing again?"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
This game is probably as good as WoW now.

If you still have class stories to do. It's better than BFA easily. I still resub 1-2 times a year based on the double exp events or whatever they might be running. I refuse to play the F2P mode.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The 1-50 experience is fantastic. Most enjoyable leveling experience. As is the main storyline stuff for the expansions. Its just pretty meh otherwise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Never gave this a shot in the past but made a bad bitch Imperial Agent last night and played long enough to get off Hutta to the Imperial fleet. Having fun so far, haven't played much of anything the last couple of months and before that it was finishing up PoP on Agnarr. I went in with the intention of just doing story missions seeing how far I could get before the obligatory grind, but ended up taking a few side quests anyway and ended up overlevelled. I think I was at 14 with the area scaling me down to 12, so it does seem viable to stick purely to the story only if you don't want to deviate (so far at least). The good thing is it didn't feel like time wasted since the other quests were always on the way and provided other slot armour/weapons. You'll get decent chunks of experience just for exploring too so the grind is non-existant.

I'm free to play so far, and yeah the pay walls get put in your face pretty often. Inventory space being limited to 30 spaces has been manageable, toggling your helmet on or off doesn't worry me. The most notable one
is movement speed though. Speeder Piloting is available at level 10 if you're paying and level 20 if you're not. When you see people zip by in the newbie area with a mini chicken walker or those round wheel bike
things that's the stuff that makes me wanna pay to play. All done on purpose of course, but still.

I did run into a glitch that had me falling through the world trying to get to Dromund Kass, an issue that's been around since 2012 apparently. I put this down to playing while the rest of the game was downloading in the background. Had to quit out, go into the install directory and delete the entire "Bitraider" folder which prompted the launcher to do a file verification and redownload a couple of gigs. Just quitting and relaunching wasn't enough. A quick google to fix but not exactly smooth sailing for a new player.

Little niggles aside it's engaging. I like how most areas have other players roaming around so instead of instancing a whole zone, little rooms or areas are cordoned off and crossing the threshold puts you in your private area to further the story. There's enough good here to make me want to continue and what I've seen of the bad hasn't made me want to uninstall.

I was tempted to go human female body type 3 and roleplay intergalactic handball but went with body type 4 instead because thicc.

• 3Like