SWTOR

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There was so many parts of the game that I just sat back in disappointment for what could have been. Old code/graphics left over from when they wanted a seamless station to space experience. A type of non-scripted launch from a planet surface to the space stations etc. After being involved in the alpha and the beta, knowing the different iterations of the game and its systems. How they struggled repeatedly over that stupid engine etc. Games such a sad shell of what it could have been if better choices had been made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In like most modern mmorpgs the end game was shit. Pretty much unfinished, untested shit. But the rest of the game was cool and serviceable. I also think that this game would of profited from being a true 1st or 3rd person shooter type, instead of the diku MUD type system. Like imagine a battlefront 2 type combat with rpg-mmo elements. That would of been sick as fuck.

• 2Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I had a blast playing SWTOR when it came out. The leveling process was really amazing given the effort they put into the storylines and the voiceovers etc. The game was generally really fluid and the mechanics were fun. But as many have said, the "end game" was absolutely shit. I PVP'd a bunch, had a blast, got like rank 70-80 and then quit because there really was just nothing else. The raiding was horrendous. My God. Goes without talking about the bugs or the general optimization.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I actually enjoyed most of the class story lines I played through back when the game came out.

The thing I didn't like was towards the mid to high level range, I felt like my characters were not as powerful as they should have been considering what they were. I mean like a jedi slicing away at random-mob-1339 and it's taking me a good long while to kill it. It just kind of drug on. A few thousand quests of this and that to progress to the end game.

I loved the stories. That was the part that made the game something I loved. This is probably why I am so hooked on FFXIV now.

I think for me, the game would have been a solid success if they had:
  • Gotten rid of all the side quests (fetch this, kill them, do stuff over there that doesn't matter, etc)
  • Increased the experience per kill of random shit, so you could go grind experience rather than chasing quests between doing your class story line quests
That would have made it so you only focus on your main story line quests, and everything else you do is just going out to have fun doing what ever it is you like doing. You want to commit mass homicide on the monsters of a particular planet in your range, go for it.

I think this is the number one failure of modern MMORPGs. The designers seem to think that the customer needs to hand held from level 1 to max level with a few million mini-quests that ultimately have no bearing on the story or anything. They need to leave quests to the main story and class quests. Questing should be special. It should tell an overarching story. The idea of quest hubs needs to go away.

Instead of having thousands of side quests to level up (outside of the main story quest and class quests), make it so you get bonus experience for slaughtering various types of monsters in an area. Keep a kill count for monster type. Reward bonus experience at particular kill thresholds. Give the character learned bonuses to their stats when fighting monster types they have killed a lot (like a bane bonus). All of this should happen with out the player ever going to a quest hub and clicking on a person with a ? over their head. It should just be a natural thing built in to the game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So having watched the Star wars saga again with the Disney+ thing, I was itching to play some Star Wars shit. So I fired this up first time since 2010-11?

Anyway they made some great changes. Especially to traveling around. That was my number one pet peeve about this game before was all the fucking slow ass running around. Im not sure how I got this, but every one of my characters had a permanent speed buff which makes you run almost as fast as mounts. Plus most if mot all fast travel points are opened up without you having to visit them first, which helps a ton in the running dept. As quest rewards they periodically they give you 25% exp boosts which is a nice bonus, this makes it so you dont have to do some or any of the side quest stuff. I still did a few because its still all voice acted and adds to the game IMO. Couple this with the exp bonus you can get from your legacy system, all you have to do is run some 4 man dungeons and do the main story. For instance last night I ran about 4-5 instances which I queued up for and went from lv23-33. Got some great purple gear plus a ton of credits too. Then when you go back to the main story missions, you get deleveled to the area, so for instance the planet I was on was balmorra which is 15-21, so I got deleveled to 21 from 33 to complete the quests, which is cool so you dont trivialize the shit.

Which brings me to the other cool change. They added a group finder for the instanced dungeons, plus you run them from any level 15-75 which boosts any player to 75. This is a nice touch as well. You do the healing and dmg that of a fully leveled character. Now some of your skills might be missing which you get leveling, but for the most part you can still DPS, Tank or heal if you want and most of your core skills you get before 20 anyway. They are super fun along with the usual star wars cinematics and music going. It really hypes you up.

So my only complaint so far is they need to add some way to fast travel out of mission areas. That shit gets annoying as fuck when youre all the way on the other side of some zone, 2 instances deep, you complete a story mission, and then you have to run your ass through all the shit you just did back to the quest givers in town. But im still new to this and maybe there is one? Im just not sure how to get it. But it would go a long way in making shit less tedious. (edit: doing a quick google search, they do have one and Im an idiot for not finding it. Its a hearth like ability on 30 min CD.)

On the PvP front, I have not fucked with it too much but I did accidentally queue up for a PvP match which did the same thing as the instanced dungeon, it leveled you up to lv 75. I did not do so good, obviously being a noob and all, but managed to DPS for a bit before I died. Dont know any of the meta or anything about PvP in this game. Its been almost 10 fucking years, lol.

So far having a blast. Will probably level up through a few stories until I get bored again, but so far its got its hooks in me again. Also seems to be plenty of people playing too, which is kind of weird for a 10 yr old game, lol. Dungeon queues were instant and the 3 planets I made it to all had 100+ people on them.

Performance wise the game runs really smooth and still looks good for a 10 yr old mmorpg.

I guess they added some off rails dog fighting PvP space battles too, but I never fucked with that yet either.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I take that back. I found out yesterday that you do get a quick travel to anywhere on the map where there is a rezz center. EVERY SIX MINUTES. Plus you get a legacy unlock in your legacy tab that lets you fast travel to your ship every six minutes too so you dotn have to do the stupid hangar bullshit to get to your ship. And both can be made even shorter by more legacy unlocks. So yeah, this will be a huge time saver. Done with mission and have to run back? quick travel. By the time your on your next mission, timer is ready for quick travel for sure.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I watched the first 2 episodes of the Mandalorian and then proceeded to download SWTOR for the first time since 2012.

My level 50 powertech from the original launch was just waiting for me.

• 2Solidarity

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I watched the first 2 episodes of the Mandalorian and then proceeded to download SWTOR for the first time since 2012.

My level 50 powertech from the original launch was just waiting for me.

I was wondering what prompted the necro on this, makes sense, I'm holding off on Mandalorian till I can binge the whole season. I would love to see a new Star Wars MMO, I can almost bring myself to play this again, but after going back and finishing almost every class story the last time, I can't bring myself to it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was wondering what prompted the necro on this, makes sense, I'm holding off on Mandalorian till I can binge the whole season. I would love to see a new Star Wars MMO, I can almost bring myself to play this again, but after going back and finishing almost every class story the last time, I can't bring myself to it.

LOL well yeah, shit you beat the fucking game bro. At launch I took a sith sorc to 50 then fully geared him out in PvP gear then quit. This is my second character lol.

But actually they did add some new shit just in Oct I think, raised the levels to 75 so I guess there is a new story?

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I played off and on for the first couple of xpacs but when the dupe exploits hit time after time and CS failed at every opportunity to correct it the economy and anything related to it meant nothing. Then once they put in level syncs and had no new raid for years it was time to pack it up. I'm sure they're making good solo player additions and selling those loot boxes but Bioware is not the company you want running a MMO

Raes

Vyemm Raider
LOL well yeah, shit you beat the fucking game bro. At launch I took a sith sorc to 50 then fully geared him out in PvP gear then quit. This is my second character lol.

But actually they did add some new shit just in Oct I think, raised the levels to 75 so I guess there is a new story?

There's a new expansion called Onslaught. You get it free if you sub for a month.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man I could jsut imagine this game story and mmo aspects mixed with Battlefront FPS combat? OMFG.

• 1Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Realized I don't have a damn clue how to play anymore on my 50 powertech so last night I rolled a lightning inquisitor and had a blast just AOEing big groups to death while playing the story.

This crap is actually kind of fun again.

Xinth

Trakanon Raider
I only played SWTOR for about 3 months after the game launched, made max level and got bored. How different is the game today?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
and how much fun would casual play be for someone who never touched the game?

Well stories are all fun and unique to each class. All voice acted and good shit. Combat is good mmo type tab target shit. Once you get a companion it becomes sorta trivial on normal story mode but if you want it difficult, just send your companion away. You can also change the roles of the companions from tank, dps and heals. They do have other harder modes I just cant figure out how to switch. The quest system is sort of like wow type but you have your main class story quests, then the main planet quests plus a slew of side quest stuff from hub to hub.

Dungeons are also like WOW now with dungeon finder, you can queue up from anywhere, it auto teleports you to them and levels you up to lv75. They are really fun SW type shit with jedi, sith, robots, and SW music and shit. They drop really good purps for your level.

There is also PvP instances, which also levels you up to 75. But I have not fucked with PvP that much.

There is also space missions too and a dog fighting thing but, again, I hanve not fucked with that either.

So far it seems pretty casual friendly I got a mercenary from 1-50 in a few casual days outfitted in full dungeon purps. Although I still need to backtrack and do all the planet and story stuff still.

They made the most tedious part of the game great which was traveling around. You get a speed boost, all quick travel points on a planet are open, and you get a 6 min hearth to any quest hub on the map.

End game and all that other shit I have no clue about.

If you do decide to play I reccomend to sub for a month $15 and it opens up a ton of shit for you permanently plus you get some cartel coins to spend in shop.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
and how much fun would casual play be for someone who never touched the game?

The base storylines are all fully voice acted and give you some fun dialogue options like normal bioware games. Playing this again feels like a solo Mass Effect to me.

I had played through the full bounty hunter - powertech story line at launch and found it quite entertaining.

Played an inquisitor - sorcerer last night from 1-10 and it was pretty amusing over the top sith bad guy tropes...but I did get to assist in an interrogation and used force lightning to break the guy. You get to threaten to murder other students and talk shit to your overseer.

I tossed them $15 for a month sub to open up all the expansions, I'm going to play through the sorcerer story line for a bit, seems pretty entertaining so far.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The base storylines are all fully voice acted and give you some fun dialogue options like normal bioware games. Playing this again feels like a solo Mass Effect to me.

I had played through the full bounty hunter - powertech story line at launch and found it quite entertaining.

Played an inquisitor - sorcerer last night from 1-10 and it was pretty amusing over the top sith bad guy tropes...but I did get to assist in an interrogation and used force lightning to break the guy. You get to threaten to murder other students and talk shit to your overseer.

I tossed them $15 for a month sub to open up all the expansions, I'm going to play through the sorcerer story line for a bit, seems pretty entertaining so far.

Yeah sorc was the class I played during launch in like 2010. Good shit but im hearing the Spy classes has the best story out of all of them. Operative and Sniper? I never played any of the light side either which have their own stories too, lol.