SWTOR

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
All I did the first time around was just dominate people in Huttball on my Powertech.

Yeah i did that too with my sorc. All I did was PvP at 50. I also remember that one planet you went to for mass PvP battles? That was fun as hell too. Not sure its even in the game anymore.

There is jsut something about hearing the light sabers, the pew pew blasters and having real SW music playng in the background.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah sorc was the class I played during launch in like 2010. Good shit but im hearing the Spy classes has the best story out of all of them. Operative and Sniper? I never played any of the light side either which have their own stories too, lol.

Played Sniper at launch, Imp Agent definitely best story of them all. I'd rank Sith Warrior next best, but most of the stories are good and there isn't a bad one really. Also playing certain ones dark v. light side is interesting.

The solo story stuff is great pre 50, I did a few of the post 50 expansion stuff and while the story was good it wasn't as good as the original Imp Agent story up to level 50.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Very early on, I came to the conclusion that this wasn't a very good MMO, but it was 8 pretty decent single player games if you played all of classes stories for the original game at least.

It changed a bit with subsequent expansion as they moved from a unique class story to just a single main story with maybe a few class specific aspect only.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
SWTOR.jpg

My wife is so creeped out by my Powertech.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you like Star Wars, in general all of the class stories are going to be worth while, Trooper, Jedi Knight, Agent. and Bounty Hunter were my favorites last I remember. Smuggler is the only one I think I haven't done, but I could be wrong.

The on rails personal Starship missions are not really all that great, unless you like that arcade style I guess, but good for some cheap and easy XP. The PVP starship dogfighting can be really fun once you get good at it, but there is a curve that is hard to get past. You are going to be up against long time players that have ships/weapons/perks unlocked that will make your life rough till you put in some time. Maybe that has changed in the last couple of years since I've played.

Endgame wasn't bad if you get a good guild that likes to do stuff and run old raids etc, but it will taper off pretty quickly for most. The game is very much a Star Wars flavored WoW clone for the most part, extremely solo friendly, especially for certain classes and specs.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Only reason I had Sith Warrior story ranked 2nd is the master (well Sith Lord) you work for is just masterfully voice acted, really made that story feel great for me.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have never played before. Are the class stories part of F2P? How long about do they take? Are they designed to just create a character and progress through them solo?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have never played before. Are the class stories part of F2P? How long about do they take? Are they designed to just create a character and progress through them solo?

All free and all can be soloed. Only part payed is the expansion content (more story)But I still recommend dishing out the $15 for a month because it unlocks a slew of shit, like the expansions, and then it stays unlocked. As to time to level them up? Tough to gauge but for instance I started the latest character last sat and hes already 50 but I did put in some time, maybe 25 hours? But I have a ton of story to go still because I was doing the group instances because they are super fun and now im over leveled, lol.

But does not hurt to try the F2P first to see if you like it. Someone put it great its like mass effect only in SW universe and with other people if you want.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the story campaign for all the classes are free. the game has some weird paywalls at first, like you only have a couple character slots open, your action bars are limited, you're limited on how many dungeons/space missions you can do per week... as long as they haven't changed it though, subbing for a single month will unlock some pretty basic things permanently and then you can use the credits you gain from being subbed to unlock a bunch of quality of life things, like being able to use speeders (mounts) at a much earlier level.

i have NO idea what the market is like anymore, but one thing i would suggest doing is either using cartel coins or saving up some money for the AH to buy a colored laser. when you buy them it'll unlock for all your characters and they have like, lvl 50 stats regardless of what level you are. so you can use them on a lvl 1 character for a really nice stat boost.

edit: oh, about time to level, honestly i think that's up to you as a player but it's not anything egregious. they streamlined the leveling process a while ago so that just doing your personal story quests will zip you right through a planet pretty quickly. you used to have to scrounge around for all the extra side quests just to make sure you could go to the next planet without being killed immediately, but all that's gone. they also do xp bonus times often enough that doubles your xp gain... getting to 50 can be pretty quick if you don't stop and smell the sarlacc

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
the story campaign for all the classes are free. the game has some weird paywalls at first, like you only have a couple character slots open, your action bars are limited, you're limited on how many dungeons/space missions you can do per week... as long as they haven't changed it though, subbing for a single month will unlock some pretty basic things permanently and then you can use the credits you gain from being subbed to unlock a bunch of quality of life things, like being able to use speeders (mounts) at a much earlier level.

i have NO idea what the market is like anymore, but one thing i would suggest doing is either using cartel coins or saving up some money for the AH to buy a colored laser. when you buy them it'll unlock for all your characters and they have like, lvl 50 stats regardless of what level you are. so you can use them on a lvl 1 character for a really nice stat boost.

LOl I forgot about those dumb unlocks on accounts because Ive always been a paid customer from the beginning. Yeah thats some stupid ass paywall shit right there, lol, action bars limited? LIke WTF?

j00t

LOl I forgot about those dumb unlocks on accounts because Ive always been a paid customer from the beginning. Yeah thats some stupid ass paywall shit right there, lol, action bars limited? LIke WTF?
haha yeah seriously. at face value their f2p system is completely terrible. but a WHOLE BUNCH of the irritating limitations go away after subbing just once. plus, if you have an account security (which are free) you get like 400 cartel coins a month. once you get PASSED the initial paywall, i think it's one of the better f2p models out there.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean for all that story content alone, even if you dont to any of the end game or mmo aspects of it is way worth the $15 IMO.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
No, well at least I didn't see any way to fix it. Maybe there's some ini trickery

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
you get used to it.

It's the primary reason I would leave the game each time I played, even after many hours. It felt like I was working as hard to not have my camera spazz out by moving my mouse half a centimetre as I was to play the actual game.

I've already done all the class stories anyways. I'll just watch some youtube vids of the latest expansion stories.

j00t

for whatever failings the game has had, the cinematics are still some of the best star wars stuff around

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't ever remember having any real issues with the camera. I played at launch for I think about 6 months... ish. Then came back sometime after Rise of the Hutt Cartel, played a year or so, left for 2 years, came back and played again for another year and some months, which was when I capped off most of the class stories. Started off playing a Gunner Trooper at launch, wound up maining a Jedi Shadow when I came back, and then played through pretty much everything else. I really liked how all the class stories touch some of the others and overlap in some areas, it was always nice to stumble on little extra nuggets and context after playing through a light/dark side class and flipping to the opposing side. Fuck you guys are giving me needs dammit....

giphy.gif

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I’m a filthy casual these days and I’d kill to have this on consoles. I’m sure it’s possible to get setup with a controller on pc but I can’t be bothered to put in the effort. I’ve got a solid PC but it’s only hooked up to my 4k tv these days.

I’m probably alone but in lieu of that I wouldn’t mind a controller friendly SW live service game. I know it won’t happen and if it did it would probably be terrible but a guy can dream. ESO is trash and obviously not Star Wars.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I have taken a Sith warrior and a bounty hunter through the stories so far this time plus I started an Operative last night. That along with the sith Inqisitor that I did at launch (Which I will probably redo) I think I like the sith warrior story a bit better so far vs the bounty hunter. I also have not done any of the expansion stories yet either. I also think the fury marauder (warroir) I made was more powerful than BH. The BH felt a bit weak to me, but that could be that I have not yet mastered the BH all that well. But the fury marauder just mows things down.

Its quite nice now they have it set up. You join some schlep guild and you get 15% exp bonus, plus the 3hour 25% exp bonus droppables they give you through completing certain milestones of your story arc, and then you open up a few legacy points, if you have them, to get another +15% exp for your story quests. You never have to do any of the side quest or the planetary story arcs to complete your leveling to 50. What I did was just run a few of the Flashpoints at like lv20. And then again at like lv 30-40 ish It helps you fill in the exp to make sure youre always max level for the planet youre visiting and gives you purples too They also pop almost instantly from what I saw, plenty of people. They are quite fun too if you dont get stuck with a shit group. But its pretty cool to do just the story arcs and not gettting bogged down with the planet quests anymore.

The travel shit they changed are quite nice too. 6 min hearth to any hub, plus a 6 min hearth to your ship you open through your legacy. That and plus the rocket boots (legacy) and the speeders plus the run speed buff they added means youre no longer struggling to get places anymore, one of the things I hated the most about this game at launch, travel was so fucking tedious.

Still having a good time and I have yet to even touch the republic side or the post 50 story arcs and not even delved into any end game shit like PvP or ops. Its gonna be nice to have something to grind through the holidays. At least finish off the stories.

Last edited: