SWTOR

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I was SWG OG. Pretty sure that is how i came across this board originally too. During beta. I miss that game so much. I know mostly it is nostalgia though lol.
I spent most my time on Ahazi prior to them trying to turn it into a WoW Clone. I did go back for like the last year before they shut it down, I logged off my Dude West of Bestine where I had my home for years and years.

To this day I have never seen a crafting system as awesome as SWGs and I gotta say I loved the Battle Fatigue mechanic. What better way to broaden your audience to people that just want to be social? Make them a necessity for your adventurer player base and just collect their money, I am SHOCKED no one has copied that, just a license to print money.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I spent most my time on Ahazi prior to them trying to turn it into a WoW Clone. I did go back for like the last year before they shut it down, I logged off my Dude West of Bestine where I had my home for years and years.

To this day I have never seen a crafting system as awesome as SWGs and I gotta say I loved the Battle Fatigue mechanic. What better way to broaden your audience to people that just want to be social? Make them a necessity for your adventurer player base and just collect their money, I am SHOCKED no one has copied that, just a license to print money.

Yeah I played on Eclipse. Crafting is what sucked me into the game for sure. I ran an Armorsmith and was one of like 2 people that was able to make Composite armor for like the first 6 months of the game. My Weaponsmith friend and I were lucky and had some harvesters down when one of the minerals popped up. Of course it only stayed around for like 2 days cuz of crashes and restarts and then didn't repop for like another 5-6 months.

I think I lasted like a year maybe after the Jedi Village hit. Of course I had 2 Jedi already and had sold one like a month before the village was announced lol. I miss my little Bothan. :(

Looking back though the game was really thin on actual content. The community is what really made it great.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Reminder: you also get the first two xpac for free: Shadow of Revan and Rise of the Hutt Cartel (FTP account, never subed)

From this post:

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got the wife playing with me now, she made a trooper, and it's been a blast being able to duo everything. I'm actually spec'd tank for leveling, and having fun. Probably a good choice for one of her first PC MMO's, nice and simple because she is semi terrible lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Apparently, it's not simple enough. I keep running into idiot noobs in veteran FPs who don't even know about their class health regen ability. I suppose this is a result of all companions being able to heal now, since before that some classes didn't get a healer companion til like level 20. No excuse, though. You start the game with like 4 skills on your bar, one of which is your regen. If you're too fucking stupid/lazy to read the tooltips, then you probably shouldn't be playing mmos.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From when I was playing a few months back, the story shit is all pretty much trivial as far as challenge because of the companion, just set the dude/chick to heal and you cannot lose. I don't think I even died once on any of my characters in the OG story EVER. I only remember one boss fight and this was in one of the big expansions when you actually fight the Sith god or whatever, that took the form of the father of the two dudes and the daughter forgot his name. And it only became hard because you could not use your companion. In fact there is a few of those fights when you go through the story mode where they want you to fight shit without your companion. Plus int he OG game before yoru companions could only ever be lv 20, now they level all the way up to 50. Not level but that other loyalty level or whatever which amtters a lot since when they level they get better and better at healing and DPS too.

The only challenging stuff in this game is the veteran flashpoints or whatever they call them when youre in a group. Story mode, again they are all trivial since not only do you use your heal bot companion, but they also give you a tank bot that slays out along your side, lol. Never tried raids, but im sure they have a challenge to them too. And even then Ive had people quit out before and one of us took out our heal bot and it was even smoother than with a full gorup including RL healer. Im sure the best would be 2 buddies each with their own companion running those things, one set to heal, the other set to tank.

I would like to do a play through without companions to see how challenging it would be, maybe even impossible?

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can personally vet that duo'ing veteran flashpoints is my preferred method of operation at this point. I tank, the wife just murders stuff, and depending on difficulty, I set my higher loyalty companion to heals, and her companion to dps or heals as needed. I have had to drill into her to read the tooltips on everything and to actually look at her stuff to understand what to do and how things work. Took a few play sessions, but she is much better than she use to be, and has gone from using maybe 2 abilities on her hot bar, to understanding when to use her cool downs and that she has AOE etc lol.

Not gonna lie, I forgot all about the self heal/meditate ability when I first got back. It wasn't until my first flashpoint run with everyone spec'd DPS and zero healing for me to remember I had an ability to click between fights, you basically never need it otherwise. Game is pleasantly, I'd say relaxing, levels of easy, with very little stress until you get into some of the group content, and that feels perfect for duo'ing. If the raids follow suit, you should be able to do them without full Ops group. I should find the wife and I a guild at some point, think we are on Starforge, just haven't seen anything that wasn't full RP guild or named something dumb as fuck. I've had at least a hundred rando guild invites from every variation of Jedi Cum Guzzlers (close enough) that one could imagine. Having played a bit on both Pub and Imp sides, at least during my play times, Imp side has felt less RP derpy, and less derpy in general.

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
Picked this game back up again after a few month hiatus and really do enjoy the game for what it is though a shame that the flashpoint/operation scene is pretty much dead, at least from a random pugging perspective. I am glad that the story itself is not locked behind a group content wall so I can at least plod through things by myself with ease and enjoy the scenery.

• 1Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I have been messing around with this again. Basically doing story quests on classes I have not played and getting datacrons I do not have.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can I do the class story quests on a F2P account? What are the benefits of buying a sub?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
right out of the gate a f2p account will be able to play all the class stories 1-50. if you sub for a month you'll get all the expacs up to the point you subbed.

you'll get a bunch of stuff for subbing though. something like 1600 cartel coins per month, exp buffs, unlimited group content (dungeons or raids), unlimited space missions... i think normally there's like a 10 per week cap on those? i can't remember.

once or twice a year i'll sub for a month and play a ton. i've been able to burn through a character's story 1-50 in a few days if i've got nothing else going on.

• 1Like

nu_11

Get the sub for a month and it basically opens all the story shit for you for ever.
I created an account in 2011. I can't remember if I ever subscribed. How can I tell if I have access to this story shit you speak of?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think the OG story is for everyone, like all the class stuff? But the expansion shit you need to sub for. IDK, havent played in a while but I rememebr people telling me to sub for a month and all the shit would open up. Some of the expansion shit is good stuff.

Last edited:

j00t

I created an account in 2011. I can't remember if I ever subscribed. How can I tell if I have access to this story shit you speak of?

like we said, the class stories from 1-50 is free for everyone. if you aren't currently subbed you'll level a little slower and you'll have to do the planet stories to stay on par with the quest levels.

if you created an account in 2011, whether you subbed or not, an expac that was released POST your sub running out you won't have access to. but if you sub NOW, you'll always have access to everything released up until your current sub runs out.

i'd really recommend subbing just because the knights of the fallen empire/knights of the eternal throne expacs were pretty great story telling.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If you had bought an authenticator back in the day then you'll find a shitload of cartel coins waiting for you as a monthly stipend has been awarded for it since you first set it up.

• 1Like

nu_11

like we said, the class stories from 1-50 is free for everyone. if you aren't currently subbed you'll level a little slower and you'll have to do the planet stories to stay on par with the quest levels.

if you created an account in 2011, whether you subbed or not, an expac that was released POST your sub running out you won't have access to. but if you sub NOW, you'll always have access to everything released up until your current sub runs out.

i'd really recommend subbing just because the knights of the fallen empire/knights of the eternal throne expacs were pretty great story telling.
Got it.

And I'm too cheapskate/lazy to use an authenticator.

Thanks for the help guys!

j00t

i hear you on the authenticator... i love it because i tend to take breaks for months upon months. it's nice to come back to a pile of cartel coins

Daidraco

Even with this game being a buggy mess at launch - it was one of the funnest MMO's I had played in a long time. The bugs finally got to me at max level, but the nostalgia is strong with this one. A lot of the people I played this with barely even touch games now. One of the craziest guys I know was the guild leader. Now hes working his way up the food chain in the Government sector for Virginia. Blows my mind any time I see him post something on Facebook. /RoseColoredGlasses

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I only did the stories and some of the group dungeons when I went back some months ago. Pretty fun and definitely worth a play through if you never have before. I did sith warrior, sith mage and the bounty hunter. Never did any of the good guys. Maybe next time when I go back.