SWTOR

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So is it worth giving this shit show a try just for the single player experience? Been a pretty big fan of Bioware before they started shitting the bed with their games.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the Sith Inquisitor main storyline. I heard a few of the other ones were good.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I try not to be Devil's advocate because I certainly see some shady aspects of this but at the same time I question whether or not these prices would even be an issue if something like this had been in during release. Oddly enough people bitched just as much about the cost of guild banks and those prices didn't change so I don't really expect these to either.

1) They clearly expect the vast majority of people to own DK or Coruscant strongholds primarily. Like I mentioned above, you can get 7/9 rooms unlocked for about 250k, which is easy to get. Harder to get the extra 1.2m to unlock the last two but I can make that in a couple of days if I really wanted to. While it would be nice if all the strongholds held to the same pricing scheme across the board, it makes sense from a gaming perspective to make some harder to earn than others. And while I empathize with people who are perpetually broke, for a while there I hovered around 1m credits, it's easy to make money in this game. Yes, this usually requires doing something different from what you were doing before. Once I started working some daily runs (stealth classes rule for this) into my playtime with the occasional "batshit insane do every single quest daily available" I quickly started to have credits again, to this point where I'm just shy of 10m at the moment.

2) Pricey as fuck but, again, with those prices they're clearly preying on people who have money to burn (why wouldn't they?). 50m total for all legacy bays is a lot, even I'll admit that, but the convenience factor is worth it considering you can have up to 22 characters who have access to it. Besides, like any good drug dealer they give you the first bay (80 slots) for free.

I plan to buy the DK one right off the bat and then plan out buying the Tatooine one in piecemeal. Like, designate a toon to do dailies on until I meet the next credit goal, then buy it.

I should point out that I'm far from casual but at the same time I spent 75% of my time in game doing PvP. For the most part I agree with the in game prices for things coming down the pipe. Just like Ops progression or gearing out a character, some aspects of the game should take a bit of effort. The Cartel Coin pricing is a very obvious money grab but if you don't agree with the prices, they don't pay them.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I try not to be Devil's advocate because I certainly see some shady aspects of this but at the same time I question whether or not these prices would even be an issue if something like this had been in during release. Oddly enough people bitched just as much about the cost of guild banks and those prices didn't change so I don't really expect these to either.

1) They clearly expect the vast majority of people to own DK or Coruscant strongholds primarily. Like I mentioned above, you can get 7/9 rooms unlocked for about 250k, which is easy to get. Harder to get the extra 1.2m to unlock the last two but I can make that in a couple of days if I really wanted to. While it would be nice if all the strongholds held to the same pricing scheme across the board, it makes sense from a gaming perspective to make some harder to earn than others. And while I empathize with people who are perpetually broke, for a while there I hovered around 1m credits, it's easy to make money in this game. Yes, this usually requires doing something different from what you were doing before. Once I started working some daily runs (stealth classes rule for this) into my playtime with the occasional "batshit insane do every single quest daily available" I quickly started to have credits again, to this point where I'm just shy of 10m at the moment.

2) Pricey as fuck but, again, with those prices they're clearly preying on people who have money to burn (why wouldn't they?). 50m total for all legacy bays is a lot, even I'll admit that, but the convenience factor is worth it considering you can have up to 22 characters who have access to it. Besides, like any good drug dealer they give you the first bay (80 slots) for free.

I plan to buy the DK one right off the bat and then plan out buying the Tatooine one in piecemeal. Like, designate a toon to do dailies on until I meet the next credit goal, then buy it.

I should point out that I'm far from casual but at the same time I spent 75% of my time in game doing PvP. For the most part I agree with the in game prices for things coming down the pipe. Just like Ops progression or gearing out a character, some aspects of the game should take a bit of effort. The Cartel Coin pricing is a very obvious money grab but if you don't agree with the prices, they don't pay them.
I am always broke. But I do want my house on Tatooine. For all the things that SWG got wrong, one thing they got right was static player housing. God that was fun just making my Bounty Hunter base in the middle of no where and all those awesome decorations. This is more EQ2 Style, but with canned furniture/decoration positioning. But there are so many places to put things I do not think it will matter much to not have 100% complete freedom. Either way, I just hit Voss on my Jedi Knight. I never ran dailies before... so maybe I will do that. Can you run those at 50 or are they 55 now? I still need to play through makeb completely. But... As I finish the storyline for JK, alt-itis will hit and I will want to level up my smuggler.

This is why I am always broke. Ha!

Edit: I do have one of those new vehicle CC boxes which grants a random vehicle from the game.Those things were on the GTN for 5 Million credits. Now, if they actually sold for that, I'll sell the one I have on the market and have all the money I need
smile.png

moontayle

Golden Squire
Market prices fluctuate so if that's what they're selling for I would jump on it.

SWG free form housing was a blessing and a curse. I didn't spend a lot of time on Live servers but when I did they were always a mess of houses for as far as the eye could see.

Some dailies start at ~50. Ilum you can start as soon as you finish your class story. Belsavis I think is 47. Section X and Black Hole are 50. Makeb has dailies which range in level but you get them as you're going through the story and only "unlock" them as a terminal mission once you finish the Makeb storyline. Oricon and CZ-198 and straight up level 55.

Ilum dailies are extremely cash heavy, 10k for the solo ones. With the right route you can finish them in 15m or so and it's 50k + drops for your time. CZ-198 are fast as well but without the same payoff, 8k per.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
On the subject of dailies here is some anecdotal data a guy posted on Reddit to how long it took him to do each set of dailies and his total payout:

CZ-198 had 6456 credits/minute ratio and it took me 8 mins to complete the quests. Total credits 52k.
Black Hole had 4948 credits/minute ratio and it took me 21 mins to complete the quests. Total credits 104k
Belsavis had 4426 credits/minute ratio and it took me 40 mins to complete the quests. Total credits 178k
Ilum had 4329 credits/minute ratio and it took me 20 mins to complete the quests. Total credits 87k.
Section X had 3232 credits/minute ratio and it took me 50 mins to complete the quests. Total credits 161k.
Oricon had 2974 credits/minute ratio and it took me 34 mins to complete the quests. Total credits 102k.
Makeb had 2508 credits/minute ratio and it took me 40 mins to complete the quests. Total credits 100k

moontayle

Golden Squire
I've spent a night here or there running everything in one fell swoop. 3-4 hours total I think. At the end I'm usually ~900k richer. Can only do that once in a while though.

Makeb - Dailies + Staged Weekly + GSI run (non-weekly, takes two runs there)
Black Hole - Dailies + Weekly
Section X - Dailies + Bonuses (they give credits) + Weekly
Belsavis - Dailies (including Heroics)
Ilum - Dailies
CZ-198 - Dailies (no weekly)
Oricon - Dailies + Bonuses + Weekly

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I just picked this up again myself. Too bad my guild is dead, guess I have to find some suckers who don't mind a filthy casual around now.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'd hold off on Makeb until 2.9. I'm pretty sure I read something on the PTS patch notes about getting crazy buffs on Makeb once 2.9 launches (gear bolstered to 156, a perpetual heal-bot following you, etc.)

General
The GSI Satellite Support Service is now in open beta testing on Makeb. Once registered with the GSI support satellites, GSI will track your every move and provide you with the following support services:[line]
Gear is now bolstered to a 156 rating while on Makeb, increasing all stats!
When combat is detected, a Medical Probe will be deployed to administer long-lasting, refreshing Kolto, healing you for 2% every 3 seconds while you remain in combat.
There is now a 250% boost to exploration Experience while on Makeb.[/line]

Of course, with the mention of GSI, that may mean you might need faction with GSI to do them which would necessitate going to Makeb anyway to at least get the Macrobinocular/Seeker Droid starter quests (provided you haven't done them on any other characters). Either way, just a heads up.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The real change for Makeb is the lowering of the mob density. Makeb isn't all that hard as long as you've kept up both you and your primary companion's gear. I even managed on my severely undergeared Trooper though I definitely made more use of Heroic Moment than normal.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I enjoyed this the last time I came back, maybe 6 months or so after launch. I imagine I will hit this again when I get tired of W*.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Starfighter is very confusing. I can't tell what is hitting me, often hear no sound, turn in the direction indicated and there's nothing there. And the mouse interface is extremely clumsy. Is it possible to map it to a stick?

Also it seems like most of the kill spam comes from mines or something?

moontayle

Golden Squire
For GSF the curve is fairly steep. Especially now that it's been out for eight months or so. One of the complaints of that community is specifically that the barrier of entry is pretty high. Many try it out once, get trounced by someone with a maxed out ship, and then never try it again. It's not bad once you get a handle on the controls though. And no, you can't map to a controller (another complaint). Not in-game at least. I seem to recall a third party program that allowed you to map certain functions to a controller but the name eludes me.

I like GSF but even so it's pretty far down the list of activities I do in the game. I honestly think they missed the mark on this one.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Another problem I was having that took me a bit to figure out, is that when mouse turning, I could get the mouse "cursor" outside the window and click on the desktop of my second monitor while trying to fire. I had that monitor off so I didn't see what was happening. The result is that my ship just continued to drift and none of the controls would respond until I figured out what was going on.

They need to call SetCapture() during starfighter stuff to fix that.

I did a big string of story missions on Agent. They really are the best. Trying to level up to get to the next bits
biggrin.png

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
For GSF the curve is fairly steep. Especially now that it's been out for eight months or so. One of the complaints of that community is specifically that the barrier of entry is pretty high. Many try it out once, get trounced by someone with a maxed out ship, and then never try it again. It's not bad once you get a handle on the controls though. And no, you can't map to a controller (another complaint). Not in-game at least. I seem to recall a third party program that allowed you to map certain functions to a controller but the name eludes me.

I like GSF but even so it's pretty far down the list of activities I do in the game. I honestly think they missed the mark on this one.
Everything PvP related in MMOs is stupidly imbalanced except for a couple days when things are released, then all you get is a stupidly long grind where you keep losing, but eventually gain enough points to be competitive.
I don't know why anyone can consider this shit even remotely fun. I won't lose any sleep over it if nobody plays it anymore.

Arterial

N00b
Everything PvP related in MMOs is stupidly imbalanced except for a couple days when things are released, then all you get is a stupidly long grind where you keep losing, but eventually gain enough points to be competitive.
I don't know why anyone can consider this shit even remotely fun. I won't lose any sleep over it if nobody plays it anymore.
You can be geared really well for pvp at 55 if you are not a gimp and invest some time pvping before you hit 55. If you play enough games to hit VR 40 you will have enough coms and pvp weapons banked to have a full set of oboran and a few pieces of brutalizer, and if you min max that set you can out dps/heal/tank the majority of players, pvp is pretty balanced in the sub 55 bracket (gear wise)

Feesh - Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Weapon Timers : swtor

moontayle

Golden Squire
While not an option for everyone, if you have the alts for it and are really interested in being set once you hit 55, you can walk in and at least be properly geared. 14 PvP weapons, 14 Mk-9 Augmentation kits, and 14 Augments to go with it will do the trick. And that doesn't need the Rank 40 Valor conversion trick to save comms. So long as you remember your timers. I did that for my Shadow so the only thing I really had to do once I hit 55 was work on min/maxing my mods and enhancements.

Now skill, you can't prep for that. Takes time.

Heh, the true gem of that post Art are the links in the comments.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Starfighter is very confusing. I can't tell what is hitting me, often hear no sound, turn in the direction indicated and there's nothing there. And the mouse interface is extremely clumsy. Is it possible to map it to a stick?

Also it seems like most of the kill spam comes from mines or something?
Yeah I didn't like GSF either. Played for about 5 minutes and just aborted and cancelled out of the mission.

Heading to finish off the JK story tonight. So looking forward to that, and then will start smuggler.

Arterial

N00b
yeah Ult that guild is hated on JC, they all pretty cool actually they only really have one rotten egg in the bunch, most folks are more then happy to give out tips to new players, hell I even send some gear that bolsters well to folks just starting out if they are cool. I think most of the people are just crying because they get rolled by them, personally pug stomping gets old fast so having better players in the mix keeps it interesting

moontayle

Golden Squire
Have a few guilds on EH that are treated the same way. I joined a new guild recently and several members are convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that this one guild cheats. The problem is that I know a lot of the people in that guild and they're just on a completely different level competitively. No cheating needed, just pure skill. Of course, my new guild has something of the opposite reaction from people. Comments like, "Oh great, X is here, looks like we'll need to carry the match for them." Which, considering the number of casual PvP players who randomly join matches, isn't entirely untrue. Of course, then I go out and top damage, objectives, and medals because I'm not some fly-by-night PvP player and the asshole who made the comment has less than half of all of those. Good times.