SWTOR

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've done a ton of low end pvp and it always bothered me that the commendations essentially go to waste. Silly that you need to game the system like that.

How does the alt thing work? You can buy some stuff at a low level?

moontayle

Golden Squire
The only low level use for comms is to buy the level 20 or level 40 armors (located on the home planet somewhere, never bothered to find out where though) or convert them into planetary comms. Once you hit valor 40 (at level 40) you can convert into ranked comms.

The alt thing I mention is just for crafting purposes. Augment kits require an item acquired through Reverse Engineering armor/implants/earpieces and Augments themselves require items from slicing missions. SInce I've been playing a while I have several characters so I can go pretty fast on all of this. The slicing components are the hard part since Purple mats only come from critting a companion mission and a maxed out affection companion will only crit about 15% of the time. Oh, and each mission takes over an hour to complete.

It's a pretty significant time sink but if you don't want to spend ~3m credits on augmenting (50-60k per kit, 34k to apply it, 90-150k per augment, multiplied by 14 slots) it's a necessary evil. Oh, and this is why custom armor is awesome. As long as you like the look of it, you only need to augment once. I had a guy tell me he didn't augment his gear because he was eventually going to have to trade it in anyway. He was completely oblivious to the fact that you can rip everything out of it and put it into something more permanent. This doesn't work for Earpieces, Implants, and Relics, but only needing to occasionally reaugment one of five items is a small price to pay for convenience.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm fairly newbie in this game concerning everything that is not just smashing mobs to pulp, so I'm asking here. After some trials and tribulations, the altoholic in me has decided to stick with a class until the level cap, well okay, one class per faction (sage and operative). I'd like to know if there is a good place to find up to date guides for crafting, from "how to level up a profession" to "advanced crafting: how to get all the shit you need".
All I found was not really exhaustive. I try to follow Moontayle tips where I can, but I'm still a lowbie and half the stuff eludes me right now, anyway thanks for the tips man, they are all much appreciated.

Arterial

N00b
Crafting is pretty strait forward actually but for the most part aside from stims/augments/augment kits its fairly useless in the endgame. The end game materials drop from 55 flashpoints (exotic element equalizer), some you buy with daily coms (isotopes) and operations (matrix cubes), all of these materials can be bought on the GTN as well. For the most part there are always folks willing to trade the crafting materials for Barrels/Hilts/armourings/mods/enhancements so they can craft more (you can crit craft and craft two), and folks will also craft the endgame ear/impants/relics for usually 500k + materials so i never really felt a need to get into crafting heavily there was always other folks able to do it for a reasonable cost

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm fairly newbie in this game concerning everything that is not just smashing mobs to pulp, so I'm asking here. After some trials and tribulations, the altoholic in me has decided to stick with a class until the level cap, well okay, one class per faction (sage and operative). I'd like to know if there is a good place to find up to date guides for crafting, from "how to level up a profession" to "advanced crafting: how to get all the shit you need".
All I found was not really exhaustive. I try to follow Moontayle tips where I can, but I'm still a lowbie and half the stuff eludes me right now, anyway thanks for the tips man, they are all much appreciated.
SWTOR Archives - Dulfy

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've found with crafting, each tier is like 3ish harvested items like foozle, bobble, and gnobble. You go out and find a pattern where you can drive between about 5 harvest nodes and get there right as they spawn. After an hour or so you end up with 100 foozle, 10 bobble, and 200 gnobble. Then you look at the crafts and every item needs 4 bobble, and 2 foozle. Gnobble is just for something obscure nobody needs.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Many try it out once, get trounced by someone with a maxed out ship, and then never try it again.
Haha last night it was like fool1 has been killed by leetskills. Fool1 leaves. Fool2 has been killed by leetskills. Fool2 leaves, etc etc. The guy doing the shooting would just fire a short burst and people would splode. I guess there's a huge difference when leveled up.

BTW the commendations for the dailies are the same as the ones from the old spaceship mini game right? I didn't check for sure but they sure looked the same. If so that is cool because I kinda wanted a couple more of those 500 comm space gear schematics from the old space game.

I did a few of the play 2 matches thing on a few characters, and finally figured out what was killing me from nowhere with nobody around me. It's the gunship railguns. I switched to that and found you could snipe with them. It seems really unfair till a scout flies up and just zooms around you shooting you in the back.

So how do you upgrade stuff? All my guns say like level 0 but I can't find any way to upgrade them other than buying other guns (which are also level 0).

I can see why no controller though, there's an aimy component to some stuff that is fluid in the center.

My main trouble is once someone is behind me I lose them completely. I'm used to a wing commander style radar or something. I lose the tiny little blips in the clutter of the background.

Also the 1-4 special abilities don't really ever seem to do anything, and I usually forget what they do. I see a green background and think maybe that's healing! Hit it and I blow up. No idea. I'll figure it out eventually though. I guess ideally you'd have played at the start when everyone was fairly even and learning. Now it's like throwing you unbolstered into a level 50+ pvp match.

What's this button do oops I'm dead.

symbelmyne_sl

shitlord
I've done a ton of low end pvp and it always bothered me that the commendations essentially go to waste. Silly that you need to game the system like that.

How does the alt thing work? You can buy some stuff at a low level?
i pvp pretty much exclusively over 8 different toons, all of your Warzone Commendations at low levels should go back into planetary, so you will be upgrading your gear every 3 or 4 levels. the extra's should go to buying purple artifact containers. right before 55 you will want to max your Warzone Ranked and non ranked Commendations.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How is the populations like in this game, still pretty active? I wanted to give this some more of my time, but I dont want to play a dying game.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Game is far from dead. "Free" expansion coming next month with housing and a proper expansion (level cap increase, etc) is coming later this year. Now is as good a time as any to join.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Here's an odd question, what should I do with the money I make while plowing through levels on my agent? I'm not subbed so I hit a limit (I think it is 350k) and the money goes into some ransom thing.

Is there something I could buy off the trade net to send to an alt or something? I spent a bit on legacy convenience stuff, and gambled some away and won a funny hat. Purple crafting stuff maybe?

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Ah that's a good idea! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to decide on a look though. I really like my knight's armor, and my sage is wearing a frogdogs shirt, but if I augmented stuff I'd feel like I had to wear that forever.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
How is the populations like in this game, still pretty active? I wanted to give this some more of my time, but I dont want to play a dying game.
For Jedi Covenant, there are usually 130+ on republic fleet, and between 50-60 on each planet that I have seen so far with a lot of active chatter and people running heroic 2 and 4's on each planet.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Welcome to the party, I've noticed alot of folks picking up the game lately after WoW being in a bit of a lull and WS/ESO not being as good as anticipated
I loved the game play, but their F2P model killed it for me. The game never passed up an opportunity to remind me I was on F2P and it got so petty it turned me completely off to it. I have no problem spending money on something I like, but I want to try first, and locking the most simple shit, like the ability to run just seemed petty and spoke volumes about their business model and ideas. I don't think I'll be back.

moontayle

Golden Squire
That's because it's not a F2P game with a sub option (like Rift), it's a sub game with a F2P option. Very similar to how SOE runs EQ and EQ2 I believe. Their goal is to get you to Sub and they throw enough restrictions at you to make it the better option by a country mile. I've never agreed with this aspect of the game.

Arterial

N00b
They should give you like 15-30 days sub free for a new account so you know what you are missing, the game is good if people can play it at its full capacity i think they would get more subs

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I finished agent, at 46. I was peeking ahead at missions and suddenly I have no companions. The quests got higher and higher level till I was solo fighting level 50 gold star stuff, with my healing spec. I got through it somehow.

I realized after I probably could have just hit N and summoned a companion that way, not sure. I remembered after I finished that the same thing had happened to me on my knight.

The last few missions were really screwed up though. I fell through the world a few times, got stuck a few more, had droids climb the walls and get into the roof where I couldn't shoot back. Something ate a quest item and the game actually mailed it to me, then I got locked out of the instance somehow.

I think all the crazy kiting I was doing messed some things up.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Just had a warzone with a seemingly invincible enemy mara. Later I heard someone say there was a sorcerer in stealth, so I guess that's where the heals were coming from. Fun.