SWTOR

Jait

Molten Core Raider
So playing this again. Played for a month when it launched, basically played the single player game as a sith marauder, and wasn't excited about the lack of options for the multiplayer game at level cap.

Come back after what, 3 years, and there's tons of content and features now, and well everything else out there is kinda terrible and it's been so long i've forgotten mostly everything about this game anyway, so it's basically new.

Help a brother out, with some questions:

1. Subscription. Does it make the gay cash shop stuff go away? ie is this shit purposely gay to entice you to sub, or is the cash shop their money maker and sub is just fluff?

2. Expansions. If I sub are these included? ie the level cap increase and content additions? or do I also need to buy these? I'm currently on a 7 day "invite a friend" thing so most of the gay for being a free 2 play player went away, but the game is constantly advertising for me to buy the hutt cartel expansion. I Started a new character who is like lvl 19 I somehow doubt that Hutt Cartel is super important for me at this venture. I know from playing before I could get to lvl 50 without having an expansion since it didn't even exist yet at that time.

3. About that multiplayer stuff. Ok lots of things being thrown at me, flash points and campaigns and battlegrounds and warplots and etc so forth. I may be mixing up my names since i've went through so many games lately. But is it correct to assume this game now has: epic/hardmode/whatever 4-5 man content (what are groups, 4 or 5 players? i cant remember). Some form of multigroup PVE raid content. some form of team PVP (whether its arena/ctf/etc or "scenario"), and some form of solo/tournament/whatever pvp? I see they added housing and a bunch of stuff for that. Guild housing or whatever it is called, guild ships? Guilds make their own fleet ships or something?

4. I also see they added some kind of PVP version of the space fighter game? That on rail space battle shit was pretty damn fun I seem to recall. For what it was, a mini-game, it was pretty dope. Is the pvp one some kind of on rail thing or more like a tie fighter thing?
1) Nope. And it's probably the best in any MMO. I've spent more on Cartel Coins than on my sub. It's fluff, but it's also a lot of useful stuff for non-subs. Expanded cargo, inventory, passes for raids, space fighter, etc...

2) If you sub you get everything 1-55 but you don't get the newest expansion which includes 55-60

3) Operations = Raids. Flashpoints = Group content. PvP is self explanatory it's all unranked 1-59. Then at 60 you can choose unranked pvp or 4v4 ranked PvP.

4) No rails for Starfighter. It's a game all of it's own. You level your ship, choose your crew, etc...

Reddit and Dulfy.net are two great sources of info too.

moontayle

Golden Squire
For #1 I offer my usual explanation: SWTOR is a subscription game with a F2P option. F2P is extremely restrictive, and yes, all the "pay cartel coins" prompts go away when you sub. At that point for pretty much everything you can spend coins or spend in game credits to unlock it. The exception is with a lot of stuff you have to buy as a F2P to unlock (hide helmet, more hotbars, more crafting) are automatically unlocked as a sub. As a sub you get a monthly stipend of coins to use (500-600 depending on length of sub) and you can get 100 a month for using a security key.

Missions gotten from within your ship are the on-rails stuff. The starship icon attached to your mini-map is the PvP starfighter stuff. Starfighter has a high learning curve though.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone use an Android security key? Does it give problems like I heard in the past?

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've had it since it was available and never really ran into an issue with it (through intermittent subs and play time).

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Glad to hear it. I picked up the game again, talking a friend into it and I'm loving every moment. We're going to duo from scratch as Shadow/Scoundrel, because stealth is cool (I'll play scoundrel).

Amenra

Molten Core Raider
Whats the main pvp server now adays? Also is there a rerolled guild by chance? Got a lvl 40 guardian that I wouldn't mind transferring to play with some cool peeps

moontayle

Golden Squire
I think Bastion is the main PvP server. Used to be Prophecy of the Five but at some point they start bleeding population and are now one of the least populated servers. No Rerolled guild, just a few of us playing here or there. I'm on Ebon Hawk, arterial is on Jedi Covenant, not sure where anyone else is.

Got a chance to play my Sage over the past week. Ridiculous burst spec is ridiculous. They did need something to take away the turret syndrome but this is a bit silly.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
What spec/util are you using on your Sage? Been doing 55-60 on my chars, had some fun pvping with the sage and sorc.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
My friends account got hacked and in the process of getting it fixed EA/Bioware banned his CC so now he can't subscribe any more.. He's tried to resolve it via email but they refuse to unblock the CC so.. looks like both of us just cancelled our subs!

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
My friends account got hacked and in the process of getting it fixed EA/Bioware banned his CC so now he can't subscribe any more.. He's tried to resolve it via email but they refuse to unblock the CC so.. looks like both of us just cancelled our subs!
Setup a paypal. Easier.

moontayle

Golden Squire
both are really really good, but telekentics is currently the best for pvp
Yep, Telekenetics. Even sitting around 1800 expertise I usually end up outdamaging most of my team (to be fair, Pubs on EH are mostly shit) and that's even without the Force Quake spam. Force Speed gives you two instant casts of Telekenetics Burst, you can cast Turbulance on the move (as long as you took that Utility, which if you PvP is a no-brainer) and that will pop Telekenetic Wave instant, and follow that up with Telekenetic Gust which is also instant. Only way someone isn't dead or at least half dead after that is if they got a lucky resist or some heals. Even still, you're a few seconds away from Force Speed again and can pretty much start the whole thing over again.

When I run my Assassin I make it a point to call out Sorcs/Sages are targets. If left alone they can wreck, moreso than most other classes.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I did my Sorc a while back 55-60 and got bored pretty quick with Force Storm x50 with the occasional single target freebies. Remembered the Sage was pretty similar so been running that and my immortal jugg quite a bit lately in pvp. 3.0+ has been fun so far.

moontayle

Golden Squire
We seem to cycle in a lot of transplants looking for PvP, who stick around for a couple of months before throwing up the peace sign and heading somewhere else.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't they release a statistical breakdown of account content activities that showed 80% of players played the game solely for story quests? Think flashpoints were the next and Warzones/Operations were the least.

In short, don't know why anyone would expect this to be great PVP game.