SWTOR

moontayle

Golden Squire
Haven't played this in ages and I'm a level 50 trooper. All my companions have no pants. Any place to read up on the changes and classes?
Quick hits:

- No more skill trees. You choose one of three disciplines and all requisite abilities are assigned to you. You will need to hit up a trainer to get back some stuff and any base abilities added/changed since you last played but skills are now free so no worries there.
- The choice now comes from utilities, which are passive boosts to various things. The tooltips will guide you and there's no wrong choice here unless you do something like take a healing focused utility when you're not a healer.
- Companions are now role agnostic. Pick the one you want to fight beside, choose their role and get going. Oh, and no more gearing.
- They cut most of the necessary chaff from leveling. If all you do are quests that show up in purple you shouldn't need to do anything else.
- Most flashpoints have a solo-mode now.

The game is much better now than it was when 50 was the cap. Lots of basic Quality of Life improvements, lots of simplifying of various systems, and an emphasis on actually getting you to the part BW cares the most about: Story. The actual MMO has taken a backseat except in a few cases.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
is the story the same for every class? Cus i'm doing my jugg first and it seems very tailored for sith warrior. I haven't finished all the chapters yet, so idk.
I've been his wrath since level 40, he's been talking to me in my head since shadows of revan. It would be weird if like smuggler or bounty hunter or whatever gets possessed by the emperor and has the same dialogues with him.

moontayle

Golden Squire
They set this up during the Ziost storyline. If you go through that you reach a point where your character calls out the Emperor. Basically, they spin it that you're the only person in the Universe capable of directly standing up to him, regardless of which class you are. So Valkorian in your head is a major part of FE. Ostensibly he respects your power, but we're still only part way through the story so hard to say at this point. That's sort of what I was getting at with the slight changes in dialog based upon your class, it matters very little when you get down to it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The outfit discussion is funny. How many different ways can you make a brown or black robe? Note Kylo Ren looking exactly like Revan. You are also completely free to dress up however you like, independent of the gear you are wearing.

We had a discussion in the SW thread about how absurdly lethal lightsabers are. They just fought a war between thousands of sith and jedi - they should all look something like Robocop at this point.

A funny bit is the origin of what we think of as a Jedi outfit. The monk robe became iconic but Obi-Wan was just wearing the same peasant garb you saw all over Tattooine because it's a desert shithole. It wasn't really until the prequels that it became the Jedi costume. I assume they are trying to show how humble they are by dressing like poors. Anakin and Luke apparently weren't fans.

Han Solo's outfit was basically a mix of civilian and military with all the insignia stripped from it.

tl;dr Sith look that way in SWTOR to look scary and to hide all their injuries. Just like Vader.

Hell, Obi-Wan wears bits of trooper armor in the cartoons. He looked exactly like the Jedi Knights in TOR's opening trailer. He ain't stupid.

Taho

N00b
I've gotten the itch to resub and run a new toon through the expansion. Only problem is trying to get my mobile authenticator set up. I need a serial number to setup the android app, but the apparently the only way I can get said serial number is through subscribing. But I can't access my account to sub because I don't have the security key from the authenticator. WTF... Tried calling support and it's a ten minute wait.

Itch to resub is now gone.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I'm back in this. Started the Alliances story last night and will do SoR this weekend. I'm trying to get into S&V through DF to finish the Dread Masters story but not too concerned with seeing it out of line.

So I sign in and my guild that I was GM of is just gone. None of my buddies are on my friends list anymore including real life friends that no longer play. I assume this was some sort of reclamation project bio ware did.

I am considering a transfer. Where would be a good server for pvp or pve for casual players that may disappear from time to time. I'll do some story mode but can't raid on a schedule. Currently on Prophecy of the Five (I think). I just want shorter queue times. I play jugg but would also transfer a BH healer and a JK sentinel.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone else notice the expansions keep getting smaller and smaller? Makeb took me roughly 2 weeks. Reven took me 4 days or so. I finished Eternal Empire story in roughly 8 hours...

Lets say each chapter is roughly an hour of story. Thats 12 hours of story a year. Thats pretty awful imho.

The expansion content was great. I had a LOT of fun yesterday. I can't overstate that enough.

But now I am done. The story is not unique so no real need to run alts through it. Tradeskill cap was not raised. So no need to level alt tradeskills. (HATE the biochem nerf. HATE IT!). I guess I can do dailies for the rest of the month but as far as I can tell the only point is to grind companion influence levels for the presence bonus.

Did Bioware really spend a year developing 8 hours of content?

Malkav

French Madman
Finaly decided to give this a try.

After a few hours and finishing the jedi starting zone, I head into the first solo flashpoint.

This thing is fucking long....and I end up being kicked from the server on the last boss cinematic...Log back in, I'm in the same room, but no boss, no npcs, nothing. I try logging off and back on, and end up at the npcs giving the quest in the fucking space station. I then proceeded to rage because I lost like 1 hours in this thing and it wasn't completed in my quest log.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So I'm back in this. Started the Alliances story last night and will do SoR this weekend. I'm trying to get into S&V through DF to finish the Dread Masters story but not too concerned with seeing it out of line.

So I sign in and my guild that I was GM of is just gone. None of my buddies are on my friends list anymore including real life friends that no longer play. I assume this was some sort of reclamation project bio ware did.

I am considering a transfer. Where would be a good server for pvp or pve for casual players that may disappear from time to time. I'll do some story mode but can't raid on a schedule. Currently on Prophecy of the Five (I think). I just want shorter queue times. I play jugg but would also transfer a BH healer and a JK sentinel.
I just started over on Harbinger, it is the most populated server. I was going to join Moontayle on Ebon Hawk but I plan on PvPing a lot and the East Coast ping at 100 was a no go for me, I get 35 on Harbinger. So far the low level Pub side pvp is pretty bad, but you level so fast it does not matter that much. I plan on playing through all the stories at least once and just taking my time to enjoy the game and not worry about guilds or raids etc.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'm on shadowlands (PVE East Coast) and there's a pretty regular parade of raid pugs being formed. Unguilded now though from being inactive for so long.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Anyone else notice the expansions keep getting smaller and smaller? Makeb took me roughly 2 weeks. Reven took me 4 days or so. I finished Eternal Empire story in roughly 8 hours...

Lets say each chapter is roughly an hour of story. Thats 12 hours of story a year. Thats pretty awful imho.

The expansion content was great. I had a LOT of fun yesterday. I can't overstate that enough.

But now I am done. The story is not unique so no real need to run alts through it. Tradeskill cap was not raised. So no need to level alt tradeskills. (HATE the biochem nerf. HATE IT!). I guess I can do dailies for the rest of the month but as far as I can tell the only point is to grind companion influence levels for the presence bonus.

Did Bioware really spend a year developing 8 hours of content?
I finished Makeb during early access to that. I didn't do EA with Revan but that too was knocked out before the first weekend. I knocked this out at the same clip. It's the same time commitment as before, just presented in a different manner.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm a little annoyed at the rotating SM op thing. I didn't see any pugs in fleet forming.

Seriously weighing a transfer then just to get more pug options.

How critical are ravages and the other op to knowing what happened in Revan?

Also, I stil feel like my character and the animations jump and act herky jerky a lot still.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The engine has and always will be shit. Even the devs have basically come out and said they're not happy with it but they're working with what they got.

I haven't done Ravagers or Temple of Sacrifice but I don't feel as if I've missed anything critical.

Sulrn

Deuces
You are also completely free to dress up however you like, independent of the gear you are wearing.

We had a discussion in the SW thread about how absurdly lethal lightsabers are. They just fought a war between thousands of sith and jedi - they should all look something like Robocop at this point.

A funny bit is the origin of what we think of as a Jedi outfit. The monk robe became iconic but Obi-Wan was just wearing the same peasant garb you saw all over Tattooine because it's a desert shithole. It wasn't really until the prequels that it became the Jedi costume. I assume they are trying to show how humble they are by dressing like poors. Anakin and Luke apparently weren't fans.
After looking at tor-fashion (thank you Moontayle) it seems the initial answer I received a month or so ago was wrong. While the art department still has clear a fetish for cyborgs, there are a few (3-6, if no class/faction restrictions and they added raid tier mod slots to all armor) options for Sith force users.

I'd have felt better at release if the "civil war, everyone has cyber-parts angle" were forced on both sides, but it wasn't. Only Imps got dicked over into suffering some Bioware artist's dom/sub fantasies. Now it seems like it's opened up.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I feel like this game could really use the Real ID system Blizzard has in place. I know they have a friend system through Origin for all the different games, they jus need to take that next step and allow cross server grouping etc.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Past couple of nights I ran Heroic 2s in order to get 5 supply crates to run the Star Fortress FPs. I am in full 208 gear bought with the basic comms. First time thru went with me in DPS spec (JK Vigilance) and companion in healing spec. At the end I killed the champion difficulty boss but it took me roughly 3+ minutes to DPS him down. At no time did my health ever drop below 95% and Inhad full health for almost the entirety of the fight.

Last night I went with a DPS companion instead of a healer. My gear and spec had not changed. I killed the champion difficulty boss in 20-30 seconds. Rough estimate is that my rank 17 influence companion out-DPSed me by a factor of at least 5X.

The only other variable that changed was the the first night I was running Hoth heroic 2s and last night it was Nar Shadaa heroic 2s. That means my level synch was lower on Nar Shadaa which in turn means the champion boss had less health.

What I am wondering is if companion DPS/healing output is being correctly deceased to match whatever level the players are getting reduced to. I killed the champion boss on Nar Shadaa so fast that I think my companion was pumping out level 65 DPS values.

Tonight I'm going to try soloing a Star Fortress with a DPS companion and see if the results are any different.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
If your companion was putting out level 65 dps on a Heroic 2 champ boss on Nar Shadda, he would have killed it in like 2-3 globals.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
208's done, I guess now all my crystals go to making Lana love me. Locked storage boxes first I guess.

Also, it's going to be damn funny when they start killing off companions that people leveled to 50.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Interesting wakeup from a starfortress failure. Over pulled a full room and failed. Nice change to waking up from a knockout. I would have normally missed it due to the overpowering faceroll with the new stats/companions.

N travel is good but I am getting lazy, I dont even run inside the fortress now, I N travel to the Dr then Underworld, then Bothan, then the robe. I dont remember quick travel on the worlds being instant cooldown? But between N travel to the guest giver and QT, I dont even need a mount or my ship anymore.

Bliss on tap
al_pacino_021.jpg