SWTOR

moontayle

Golden Squire
I respectfully disagree. Damage comes down to 4 types. Melee Burst, Melee sustained, Ranged burst, Ranged sustained. While within each type there are similarities, they all still play differently. For instance, I can't just switch from my Hatred Assassin to my Lethality Operative and expect similar results without tweaking my approach. Same for Arsenal Merc and Lightning Sorc. Beyond that, all the healer types play differently, as well as the Tanks.

Escapes are different, defensives are different, offensives are different. When you break down each class and sometimes even Discipline down, they are different. Sure, if you want to go into the rote aspect of "Press 1, then Press 2, then Press 3, etc", then that never changes.

Then again, I might have a slightly different viewpoint than you. I've played all the classes and disciplines at one point or another through the years, mostly in PvP. I see and sometimes feel the difference very often.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry moon not buying what you're selling. You can take every class in WoW (I use it because its the best example) and at their core they have CLASS defining abilities and mechanics for the most part. DK vs warrior vs Druid vs Paladin tanking? All very different. Swtor does not have that at all. Not to mention the play of light side vs dark side should play completely different and its not, and its the same exact same shit skills reskinned. Shouldnt there be a huge list of pros and cons of choosing light vs dark? Well, there's not and that isnt Star Wars at all....I mean thats the fucking core of the franchise. Dark side juggernaut vs light side are the SAME.

There isnt one skill you get where you go OOOH so THIS is what it means to be a Bounty Hunter. No, its the same shit other classes have but instead of swords its lasers or a flamethrower--SAME shit that pops up numbers. A bounty hunter fighting like Boba Fett should look and feel like that in the game, full of combat tricks and crazy shit....but its not. In the interest of having a stale but balanced game, Swtor lost all flavor. The only thing that gives you that feeling of being different is the storyline, which is fantastic....unfortunately that does not translate to the game play whatsoever.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Shrug, a bounty hunter uses a grappling hook to pull people to him and a jetpack to rush people/escape. A jedi does the same thing with the force. A Jedi's stun is a knockdown, Sith stun is a force choke. Melee all get enhanced speed and gap closers, ranged all get things they can use on the move. Most classes have the right feel to me. The animations overall are quite good. Some mirrored abilities are kinda dumb but how do you give a Jedi an ability as cool as a screen full of lightning? It's supposed to look like Star Wars, not Force Unleashed.

The universal weakness with the gameplay is its mostly opener (sometimes weird order to get critical buff/debuffs/dots going) and then it just becomes smash the best thing off cooldown, EQ2 style. I macro a lot of it. But there are exceptions and they tune them that way on purpose - sometimes its energy management, and sometimes some timers to watch (thx starparse overlay), sometimes proc whack-a-mole, or burst cycles that you want to save abilities for and so on. So no, it isn't WoW level of variety, but it also doesn't have many of the annoyances that WoW brings either. Hooray for mechanics that fuck you over 10x more than the rest of your raid, right? This is a hell of a lot less frustrating.

It also helps that they have no delusions of their game being an e-sport.

The biggest letdown is NO SAVED SETUPS. Four fucking years and they flat out refuse to do it. And they are also in the middle of a raid content gap that will rival WoW. (1 year already with none planned)

moontayle

Golden Squire
If you're looking for a skill to define a class then you're barking up the wrong tree (though I think BH's Death From Above fits the bill). Shit, if you're going to bring WoW differentiation into this, look no further than the race abilities. How many years was Horde the PvP goto because of their racials? Or how much people bitched about the lack of Shaman for Alliance or Paladins for Horde until TBC? Or how people still bitch about the lack of so-and-so race having access to a certain class?

Same classes for both sides in SWTOR was the smart call, even if it was the safe call.

I could go on but it's probably not worth the effort. I hope you enjoy your time in the game otherwise.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just playing for the storylines + to visit places in SW universe, and I do enjoy that. Basically the same reason I hop in Lotro now and then, simply not expecting to be drawn in from the gameplay. Idk, with the money behind this game along with the franchise to boot its really fucking sad that this is as good as it gets--no real surprise that there are only a handful of servers for this game.

I'll prolly play for a month or so and level this Juggernaut up to max then go back to WoW before the xpac comes out.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They try to cater to where WoW lacks to keep the whales hooked.

It really is a great game to jump in and out of every year or so. I probably won't wait as long the next time.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Straight pimping.

It's just what I had laying around, but I did attempt to make it look appropriate but unique. Too many of the better looking color combos makes you look too much like a Stormtrooper or a Cybersith or Iron Man.

rrr_img_119696.jpg

Sadly, coloring the mask only colors the glasses, and the other open-face masks all look like Sithwear.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Shrug, a bounty hunter uses a grappling hook to pull people to him and a jetpack to rush people/escape. A jedi does the same thing with the force.
Been awhile since I played, but I don't remember Jedi using a grappling hook move or any type of 'pull/yank' force move as a tank. When did they change this up, with the new skills or something? All I remember was a choke or levitate/sleep move.
Also, the hook was like 30m or something, where the choke had to be right in your face at around 4m.

moontayle

Golden Squire
There's a few pull type abilities in the game. Assassin/Shadow Tanks have a pull. Juggs/Guardians get a push as a base skill. PTs/Vanguards get grapple as a base skill. Sorcs/Sages have a friendly pull. Pretty much always been that way.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
So I am trying to fire this game up, but I am running into this issue and have no idea how to fix it.

When the launcher loads, the login area is white, but immediately darkens to what I screencapped below. The "Server Not Responding" pops up after I try to log in.

fuYqokW.jpg

Any suggestions?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
People weren't exaggerating about how entertaining light side Sith warrior is. But you'd probably have to have played it normally first to get it. Darth Baras is just that much of a jackass.

Also, grats me legendary *. (all 8 main stories complete)

moontayle

Golden Squire
My wife has decided that she MUST HAVE the new Nexu companion, which is currently going for about 13m on Ebon Hawk. So we binged on Heroics yesterday. Doing everything but Makeb (seriously, fuck those Heroics) and all bonus objectives we landed about 2m each. Maybe more, I wasn't keeping strict track.

Money is stupid easy to make now.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It is possible to find a Nexu for 8-9m on various servers which is what I did for mine (it's 400 coins for the unlock). People are just listing stuff higher because you can make more money than the old slicing.

edit: also, does anyone have the old Experimental Pilot suit set that they would be willing to sell? Not sure if we're going to get a christmas sale or old packs back any time soon.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
People weren't exaggerating about how entertaining light side Sith warrior is. But you'd probably have to have played it normally first to get it. Darth Baras is just that much of a jackass.

Also, grats me legendary *. (all 8 main stories complete)
I'm playing a Sith warrior for the first time. I'm in the late teens and on Balmorra. Everyone in my guild has highly recommended that I romance Darkside Jaesa for the entertainment value. Now you recommend going light side for the entertainment value. Can your character go light side while Jaesa is dark side?

moontayle

Golden Squire
When you get to Jaessa I think whatever side you're on more (more LS or more DS) dictates which Jaessa you get. I don't know for sure though since I played through my Jugg as pure DS and my Mara has pure LS so the result was clear.

Jaessa DS is a freak. That's all I'll say.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol just finished Sith warrior and you're right Moon.......Jaesa reminds me a rl pure crazy evil bitch I dated but couldnt let go of bc she was so much fun/freaky.