SWTOR

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hahahhaaaha
As John mentioned, thedisappointing performance of Star Warsis largely offset by the great
performance of our Battlefield 3 Premium service. July 31 2012 investor prepared comments.

First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now
slipped below one million. Last year we announced that the break even point was roughly
500,000 subscribers. And while we are well above that today,that's not good enough. July 31 2012 investor prepared comment

John Riccitiello - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO Right now, what I've seen of Dead Space, what we've seen of Crisis, what we've seen on SimCity, could do nothing other than bolster our confidence in their ability,
both titles, to deliver. So we feel good about our numbers, but you're right. We've had -- I mean, the principles outside this year were Medal of Honor, NBA, and,
frankly, earlier, Star Wars has underperformed. So that's really the balance equation. Investor Questions Oct 2013

Total Q3 non-GAAP net revenue was $1.18 billion which was approximately 9% below the
midpoint of our guidance. Compared to the same period last year, net revenue was down 28%
due to the tough comp of Battlefield 3 and the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic.
JAN 2013 investor prepared comment(Remember the largely offset by BF3 premuim)

I love how he says 500K to break even, but doesn't say how long they need to have 500k is it a year, 10 years what is the break even point. No mention of the expac, Did mention free to play. Do you think they would have went f2p if they were still WELL above the break even point. Classic can't get more subs milk the ones you got. SOE did that also with the NGE card pac's that granted in game items and low and behold EA now has in game pacs that grant rare items.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
EA 'pleased' with SWTOR F2P so far

In EA's third quarter earnings call, the company mentioned SWTOR and expressed cautious optimism toward the changes that free-to-play brought to the game.

"As a reminder," CFO Blake Jorgensen reported, "on November 15th we launched our free-to-play option for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Very early indications have been positive and we are pleased with the initial results, but it is too early to know how successful this will be in the long term."

Jorgensen said that SWTOR, among other titles, helped to contribute a tidy sum to the company: "Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic."

The Force is Strong with the cartel coin.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I find it humorously ironic that SWTOR didn't start to be financially successful until it was free.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
i'm surprised only 2 million people bought the game. i thought the IP would have attracted a lot more. did they even market this overseas?
Aside from Europe, there really isn't a large following for Star Wars around the world. It's big, but mostly among English speaking nations and really only in the West. Lucas did a lot to kill the pedigree with the prequels, though the game did sell about what KotoR did with being almost double what KotoR 2 sold. It -seems- like a massive IP with nerds, but outside of nerds it really isn't as big as we'd like to think. Especially not for a pay to play service exclusive to the PC market.

No idea why I responded to you =| Just felt like enlightening I suppose.

uup2it_sl

shitlord
Well content patch 1.7 went in yesterday. Nothing earth shattering except to introduce rep grinds. Added new area to grind away. Guess something to do at least.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well content patch 1.7 went in yesterday. Nothing earth shattering except to introduce rep grinds. Added new area to grind away. Guess something to do at least.
Well at least the new rep grinds will distract everyone from the lack of new content/planets.

moontayle

Golden Squire
It's not even a grind. There's a per-week cap and it's Legacy-wide so getting rep with any character applies to all of them (and the cap). You could theoretically get all of them capped on the first day of the week if you wanted to. The rep gains also come from consumable items, which means after you hit the cap you just store those items until the next week and depending on how much you did previously, you won't need to do much after the cap resets. The only true grind is the Heroic space missions since you can only get the Rep consumable from doing the Daily, which means in order to hit the cap you'd have to do it with multiple toons.

It's also the most neutered reputation system I've run across. While the Gree event stuff is gated, you can't get any of the event items this go around, just the Custom armor items, and even then not until the reset next Tuesday, there's no MoP-style "need" items in reputation vendors. It's purely for looks and the few titles that gaining levels gets you.

It's a decent addition to the game, but I hope 1.8 has a little more meat to it.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Trapped in Randomonia>
They need to take it to the next level like Rift did, and introduce rep decay! Don't log on that day? Goodbye 1000 rep points!

(yes yes I know it's only conquest points, but don't think it won't happen to rep grinds in the future!
wink.png
)

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So after shitting the bed with a poorly designed WoW-clone, they decided to continue pulling in WoW "features" like weekly caps and gating? Genius.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The main difference being that it's all cosmetic. Even the event items are just shells with nifty appearances. So doing the reputation grinds (if that's what you want to call it) gives you some Legacy Titles and some more custom armor appearances to pick from, but that's it. That's a far cry from the shitfest that was the WoW grinds, which are still prevalent if I've read the MoP thread right.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
So I have an itch to play something star warsy and started to redownload the client for this. I believe they said something about old subscribers/CE owners/ getting cash store currency up front? From the website it seems my balance is zero, do I get it when I log in or what do I have to do?

ixian_sl

shitlord
So I have an itch to play something star warsy and started to redownload the client for this. I believe they said something about old subscribers/CE owners/ getting cash store currency up front? From the website it seems my balance is zero, do I get it when I log in or what do I have to do?
I believe that was a limited time promotion, unfortunately.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Not a big thing I guess, but its an odd choice to limit it. I mean here I am considering playing a weekend and might just throw down $15 for a month if I get all those bonus cash store currency they advertised a few months ago. Now I dont get that and feel like I will just play the weekend without starting a sub. You'd think they keep something that incentives resubbing.

moontayle

Golden Squire
This event has been worth its weight in gold with the sheer amount of QQ going on about the small-group PvP area on Ilum. I haven't seen this much player-on-player or guild-on-guild bitching going on since Everquest.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought it was just a new set of dailies set in Ilum to force you to fight/flag...is it not?

Unrelated to the new content, I was always kinda shocked at how "separated" the Republic was from the Empire. I personally wished you could have leveled via World PVP and that most planets were devolved into a warzone. Even Section X (one of the worst Daily Quest zones in any MMO ever) completely missed an opportunity when, despite the Republic and Empire being a small area, you never had to overlap to do quests.

I admit I still think about this game a lot. Like that girl that was GREAT in bed a few times but just didn't have the gravitas to pull you into a commitment. Most of my better mmo friends are still playing it and I'm dinking around WoW with real life friends now... Oh Bioware...what might have been...