SyFy network admits they fucked up

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think an adaptation of the Gateway books by Fred Pohl would be awesome, probably expensive though. Certainly enough there for quite a few seasons.

Goatface

there was a stargate movie reboot being pitched around, but i think MGM is still broke.
if anyone should bring SG back it should be Showtime.

Straczynski wants B5 back on tv, but Crusade was bad and fans would be mad if they fiddle with all the expanded stuff.
Think they should reboot it and start at the Earth-Minbari War, but have something different end it, have Delenn with hair show up changing the timeline to make B5 a totally different place.

Cybsled

He's not wrong. SG:U had a few problems,specifically no good antagonist, not enough Sg-1 and Atlantis tie-ins, and slow movement on Ancients lore. They slowly started to fix that prior to them axing it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I liked SGU. I mean it could have been a whole lot better... and it actually started to get sorta stupider as the crazy scientist man started talking about the background radiation being a message from God or whatever pseudomystical mumbo jumbo nonsense he started to degenerate into... but that could have worked too. They were already leaning that he was almost a villian. He could have finally gone completely unhinged and they could have made arealmad scientist villian out of him. Brilliant, insightful, but so obviously wrong in such a simple interpretation that it renders him batshit insane (but not comically) without rendering him inept. They could have had him corrupt that fat fuck that idolized him too.

They could have gone a really fun way with it. Turned it into a ship of the damned with the Captain fully aware of what was happening and not able to do a fucking thing about it on account of reasons. Just a passive descent into hell.

If they really wanted to pander to their audience they would have deconstructed their own StarGate/Ancient lore... allowed you to see it as dangerous nonsense through the captains eyes, allowed you to be sympathetic and devoted to it through the eyes of old crazy and his fat sidekick. They could have allowed their audience to feel smug and superior no matter what personal leanings they had. They could have literally played both sides against the center.

Not that they would have, or did. IIRC They used it for a simplistic redemption arc. Which was lame. But the setup was there.

It wasn't really a stargate show. But I didn't think it was a terrible show. For the most part. Obviously parts of it were just awful.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I don't think they should reboot anything, as it will always be criticized for the differences from the original. It would be really hard, and you'd have to get it perfect for it to work. I think their best best is doing a show based on a popular book or comic series. Are there any popular sci-fi comics?

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I mean, forgive me if faulty memory, but they died at the end of Farscape. I don't think the universe itself was that interesting, it was really just the 2 mains that carried the show.
rrr_img_62655.jpg

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
there was a stargate movie reboot being pitched around, but i think MGM is still broke.
if anyone should bring SG back it should be Showtime.
The StarGate movie reboot is being pitched by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich, the same guys that made the original movie. They didn't like where SG-1 took the story so they want to reboot it back to their original concepts and start over. It's not an entirely horrible idea, but I can't get behind Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich doing it. I like my Sci-Fi/Action-Adventure a little less corny than Godzilla and Independence Day.

Universe had all sorts of problems. Had they stuck to their original format that they used in SG-1 and Atlantis, it probably would have done much better. But the network wanted a dark, gritty, space drama (since BSG had just finished it's run), so they sort of told the SG producers, "do it like we asked or it won't get done". So we got a BSG space survival series instead of something that actually fit into the StarGate franchise. That's why the fans bailed. The network was pushing to degentrify the cast and bring on more young adults and young adult drama to drag in the CW crowd. And then there was the pacing. Holy fuck, you guys talk about The Walking Dead being slow, SGU was horribly slow in the first season, and the problems they were running into was shit that could have been solved by Carter or McKay in a few minutes. By the time they started to address the issues with season one in season two, they had already lost most of their viewers and alienated their fans. Universe was a big ball of mostly bad ideas. It deserved to get cancelled.

StarGate was best when it was on Showtime. Once they moved to SciFi it started getting really campy, introducing a new ancient McGuffin every week. Atlantis was just more of the same, and that series really went nowhere after season 1. Don't get me wrong, I loved both of those series, but they deserved to be cancelled. I would have liked to see a better finale to Atlantis than what we got, though. Joe Mallozzi & Paul Mullie were working on a Atlantis movie that would have brought the series to a close and maybe would have launched a direct-to-dvd movie series, but MGM and Syfy wanted to work on SGU rather than finishing off Atlantis.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i can't remember any good sci fi that had more than 2 seasons. BSG sucked imo so that doesn't count. Stargate universe was lame. Farscape was boring most of the time. Had some good villains but didn't feel real to me. And so on.

Cybsled

Todd the Wraith was pretty awesome ;p

The SG reboot movie won't happen anytime soon, primarily because who is their target audience? Not the TV show. Fans of the movie that hated the TV show? The reboot was pitched more as a sequel to the film which ignored the show.

You could get away with a reboot in 10-20 years maybe, but so close to the property is a no go (like that aborted BSG reboot movie Bryan Singer wanted to
do that was pitched a year after the show ended and would be based on the 70s one....wat).

spronk

FPS noob
TNG improved as the years went by, some of the best episodes were late in the series. But yeah, that shits now nearly 20 years old (fuck!).

SyFy could reboot MST3K, there are so many shitty movies made nowadays it would be easy money. Or just pay the gang to broadcast their Rifftrax stuff, could even do dual audio (replace the spanish channel!) so you could listen to original or Rifftrax. Develop 2-3 mini series ala Dune, but stretch them out to 8 episodes and have a beginning/middle/end. Source material from Ringworld, Foundation, Revelation Space, Rama, Commonwealth, Culture, Altered Carbon, etc. Have a few cheap documentary series on science and nature, ala Universe/Cosmo, fuck it could just be taping NDGT and others like him giving lectures at universities.

Could do a shit load of stuff to bring back nerds and geeks and science lovers, but mark my words, it'll just be a bunch of shitty, relatively-expensive shows like Helix, The Event, Flash Forward, or Under the Dome that people abandon quickly and SyFy will claim nobody wants to watch scifi.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Wheel of Time series! Just don't make it campy like Hercules or Xena, like they did with Sword of Truth.

Goatface

Syfy has ordered a 6-hour limited series, "Ascension." Set on a spaceship heading to a far-off world, the drama is set to air in the fall of 2014.

The story takes place on a starship, the Ascension, which was secretly launched in 1963 with hundreds of colonists out to populate a new world. Almost 50 years later, the ship is getting close to its point of no return when a young woman is murdered.

During the investigation, the Ascension's population begins to question the true nature of their mission to the stars.

"Syfy is more committed than ever to bringing to life epic event television," says Syfy president Dave Howe in a statement. "We are delighted to bring this thrilling, provocative and intelligent event to our fans later this year."

Created and written by Philip Levens ("Smallville"), "Ascension" will be produced in Montreal by Levens, Jason Blum, Mark Stern, Ivan Fecan, Tim Gamble and Brett Burlock.
was reading about this over at reddit and someone pointed out this is a redo of a project from last year
Sojourn
The first detective ever in space is tasked with investigating a murder on a starship -- headed to colonize another planet --* and instead becomes embroiled in a vast conspiracy involving a mysterious terrible crime dating back to the original launch of the ship 50 years ago. Phil Levens (Smallville) will write, with Blum (Paranormal Activity) on board to produce the Lionsgate entry.
guess this going to have to be an alternate reality or something to give us the ability to travel to another planet in 100 years, unless that is twist they are just going to be floating in space for the next 10,000+ years.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wheel of Time series! Just don't make it campy like Hercules or Xena, like they did with Sword of Truth.
Funny you mention that, pretty sure a lot of the same people were involved in making it. The problem with wheel of time is it's going to be hard to implement after the first three or so books. Besides that, anyone outside of HBO is guaranteed to fail.