SyFy network admits they fucked up

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
was reading about this over at reddit and someone pointed out this is a redo of a project from last year

guess this going to have to be an alternate reality or something to give us the ability to travel to another planet in 100 years, unless that is twist they are just going to be floating in space for the next 10,000+ years.
This show will be blue-screened and bad-actored to the point that any possibly cool plots will be flushed down the shitter.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Found a torrent for the whole series, going to be a glorious Saturday. Can't wait to see if the wife likes it!

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with Syfy's current programming. They have (or had) quite a few science fictiony shows post Stargate and BSG: Warehouse 13, Haven, Defiance, Sanctuary, etc.

The problem is that they aren't very good. Granted they aren't absolute drek, but they don't drive any real enthusiasm to catch the next episode. They are incredibly mediocre. You turn them on and kinda half watch them. At least that's what I do.

If they could hire some awesome writers, sit them down and think of a complete story -- beginning to end -- then they may be able to come up with a compelling series. Current network TV seems too much like they have an idea for a show then they just sorta wing-it without ever having a real direction (hello "Heroes").

Probably their best bet is to adapt a popular book series but put every effort intomaking it good. There are tons of classic sci-fi from Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, et. al. that woudn't necessarily require a huge budget to produce. Just make sure and do them really, really well and I think they'd have something.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
She will probably ask why you were watching Lexx at 10 haha
I was way off on remembering when this aired, had no idea it was 97 - 01ish and in the same line up of Farscape. Guess I was 20!

She said, 'What is this? Oh, yeah, I can see why you were in to it.'

Cybsled

Especially when it was called "Tales from a Parallel Universe" and was on Showtime ;p

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Where would be a good place to look up sci fi shows from the mid to late 90's? There was one I caught a few episodes of that I really got into but I never saw more than a few episodes. Only part I really remember was some actress from the show seeing an alien fighter ship out the window of her own ship and it had human writing on it that said "there is hope" or some shit.

Any ideas?

spronk

FPS noob
sounds like space: above and beyond. just ask here, bunch of us have probably watched every single sci fi show ever made

to actually get old sci fi show I'd recommend BitTorrent, you can find em all on piratebay.se or IPT or BTN or a million other places, the greatest thing going on right now is TNG being reissued on bluray (they are redoing all the special effects for high def). Its up to season 5 so far.

Caliane

Where would be a good place to look up sci fi shows from the mid to late 90's? There was one I caught a few episodes of that I really got into but I never saw more than a few episodes. Only part I really remember was some actress from the show seeing an alien fighter ship out the window of her own ship and it had human writing on it that said "there is hope" or some shit.

Any ideas?
Space:above and beyond.

Abandon all hope, is what is written.

Hekotat

Excellent, thank you. Now is it any good, lol? I was a young teen when I was mesmerized by it.

Cybsled

Ya, it was a pretty solid show. Of course, it was on Fox and got prematurely axed.

TheBigTor_sl

shitlord
It won't happen but a nerd can dream...

rrr_img_62715.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with Syfy's current programming. They have (or had) quite a few science fictiony shows post Stargate and BSG: Warehouse 13, Haven, Defiance, Sanctuary, etc.

The problem is that they aren't very good. Granted they aren't absolute drek, but they don't drive any real enthusiasm to catch the next episode. They are incredibly mediocre. You turn them on and kinda half watch them. At least that's what I do.

If they could hire some awesome writers, sit them down and think of a complete story -- beginning to end -- then they may be able to come up with a compelling series. Current network TV seems too much like they have an idea for a show then they just sorta wing-it without ever having a real direction (hello "Heroes").

Probably their best bet is to adapt a popular book series but put every effort intomaking it good. There are tons of classic sci-fi from Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, et. al. that woudn't necessarily require a huge budget to produce. Just make sure and do them really, really well and I think they'd have something.
The could do most of the Foundation stories for like ten bucks.

Of course... Foundation would be horrible television.

Edit: I like to think the Redletter guys are the next generation of MST3K. About as close as you're gonna get. And I think that both groups come out of milwake, don't they? Do they have a film school there or something?

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Space:above and beyond.

Abandon all hope, is what is written.
I rewatched it about a year ago and it really doesn't hold up well. Wasn't a bad who by any means but I think nostalgia comes in to play with it. It was produced by X files guys James Wong and err I forget the other.

Hekotat

Speaking of X Files, I caught shows sporadically here and there when I was a younger so I decided to watch them all and holy shit are they good. There are some cheesy plot holes and wtf moments but it is my favorite thing to watch right now. I only watch one or two a night so I can really savor them, I'm going to be really sad when I get to the end.

The MIB episode was fucking hilarious.

EDIT: Just for the record, I'd still bang Scully's mouth hole.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
haha fuck you SyFy, right after you move away from sci fi to wrasslin, shit like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead break out and now you try to press undo? Nobody watches your shitty channel anymore.
Syfy - The Hollywood Reporter

Like the hero in a time-travel story, the Syfy network sees its future in the past.
Almost five years after a rebrand that abandoned the Sci-Fi moniker and enraged fans, NBCUniversal brass is aware that its attempt to lure a broader audience might have lost it some clout in the increasingly lucrative genre that shares its former name. Now Syfy president Dave Howe is trying to rectify the perception problem with changes in the executive ranks that will translate to new programming more familiar to its core audience.
"We want to be the best science-fiction channel that we possibly can, and in some respects, that means going back to the more traditional sci-fi/fantasy that fans often say they feel we've exited," Howe tells THR. "We're going to occupy that space in a way we haven't for the past few years."
i would wager that WWE is the highest rated show on this god awful channel.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't want to see a reboot done badly. Picking up a pilot that nbc didn't will probably be their method, plus it keeps their in house costs down.

Wouldn't mind seeing an Event Horizon or Dead Space type space odyssey. People are jumping all over the thriller / horror shit these days, maybe they could leach something off that?

Goatface

i would wager that WWE is the highest rated show on this god awful channel.
with ease these days
Smackdown 3.1m
Helix 1.3m*
Defiance 1.8m*
Warehouse 13 1.3m*
Bitten 845k*
Being Human 1.1m*
Haven 1.4m*

Face Off 1.6m
Heroes of Cosplay 800k
Joe Rogan ?s 1.4m
*Avg of last 4 shows listed on wikipedia.
Most of their reality shows don't show up on ratings lists. movie wise Sharknado got over 4m viewers over 3 airings