Tablets

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
It's very difficult to fully brick a Nexus 7. Did you go on XDA and attempt to fix it? I've had 4 of them and never had any issues.so

lurker

Vyemm Raider
What do I need to get a tablet, maybe a Kindle Fire, to receive TV from an HDTV antenna? All I have is the antenna.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I updated my Nexus 7 to Android 5 (is that Lollipop?). It's slow as shit now. I've performed a factory reset and cleared the cache which improved it some. But it's still close to being unusable.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, a couple weeks after I did cache partition deletion/format, my Nexus 10 is back to being a piece of shit again. Chrome has crashed at least half a dozen times for no reason. Pretty ridiculous that physically it's pretty much spotless, but it's quickly becoming useless because of shit software.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, a couple weeks after I did cache partition deletion/format, my Nexus 10 is back to being a piece of shit again. Chrome has crashed at least half a dozen times for no reason. Pretty ridiculous that physically it's pretty much spotless, but it's quickly becoming useless because of shit software.
I had to stop using Chrome on my Nexus 10 in favor of Firefox because Chrome can't handle imgur's gifv format. Its annoying. I prefer Chrome but since 90% of my tablet use is browsing reddit not handling gifv makes it a non-starter.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had to stop using Chrome on my Nexus 10 in favor of Firefox because Chrome can't handle imgur's gifv format. Its annoying. I prefer Chrome but since 90% of my tablet use is browsing reddit not handling gifv makes it a non-starter.
Baconreader app? AlienBlue?

I prefer the full site as well, but on my phone it's a bit clumsy. Probably fine on a 10" tab.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah the full site is awkward on my S6 but on my Nexus 10 it works perfectly fine. I never felt the need for a 3rd party app.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I updated my Nexus 7 to Android 5 (is that Lollipop?). It's slow as shit now. I've performed a factory reset and cleared the cache which improved it some. But it's still close to being unusable.
2012? For me the last update made it usable again. Switching applications (and tabs in Firefox) is still slow but I can run at least one application at a time. There have been times previously where I wondered about finding a rom for the original shipping version (4.2?) and trying it as I think people blaming the hw are full of shit.

To me Google's handling of the Nexus devices hasn't been impressive, sure you get the latest updates but unless your hardware isn't the latest it feels like no one bothered to test it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Friend of mine wants to sell me one of these for $500? Docking Station included as well.

Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T review - CNET

Any opinions? Need a laptop for the wife to do our financials with Quickbooks and other basic office tasks with.
My wife has an older model, the 500T, and it's kind of a piece of shit. Also has some Samsung bloatware. That said, hers has an Atom processor, so my complaints might not be relevant in a full version of Windows.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, is there any kind of heir apparent to the Nexus 7 out there or coming out soon? A 7" tablet that can hang with the new stuff for ~$250. Or I guess bigger for a similar value.

My OG N7 is starting to show it's age.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So, is there any kind of heir apparent to the Nexus 7 out there or coming out soon? A 7" tablet that can hang with the new stuff for ~$250. Or I guess bigger for a similar value.

Not exactly what you are looking for I know, but I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 for $299 at Best Buy, and Amazon had it for $317. Unless you're determined to only have 7", and don't want Samsung for whatever reason, it is a pretty good deal I felt.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider

Samsung had the Galaxy Tab 8.4 S2 going through the FCC type approvals in the past few months.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not particularly against a screen that's 9-10", just have grown to like the N7 form factor for laying around and playing. Wouldn't be opposed to larger though, just haven't seen one that combines that low price point with the power and vanilla android I crave.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The Asus Zenpad S 8.0 might be an option, Best Buy has it for $199. I'm not sure how much Asus has messed around with android though.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I love the Nvidia Shield. It's about as close as you can get to stock without having a Nexus. It's super powerful and handles everything smoothly. I previously had a Galaxy Tab S 10 and I hated that the goddamn browser would stutter a bit, whether because of lack of power or Samsung bloat. The screen is good but not great (definitely not as good as the amazing Tab S screen). It's a little on the expensive side but if you do any of the gaming related stuff it's definitely worth it (attach a telescoping ipega controller on it and it's pretty sweet). I wish the size was just a little bigger but 8 is still pretty good. My girlfriend has a Nexus 7 and I appreciate the extra real estate.