Tablets

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Really tempted to pull the trigger on this:

Google Nexus 9 LTE Tablet w/ Portfolio Case (Black) #Nexus_9-LTE_Portfolio_BNDL - Expansys USA - $345

I wouldn't need the LTE version, but even a Wifi-Only Nexus 9 is like $479 retail. This is a hell of a deal, I'm just not familiar with this seller/site at ALL (got the link from Slickdeals)
Usually if you check out with paypal you'll be pretty safe. It shit gets shady just report and paypal will side with you and give your cash back.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Usually if you check out with paypal you'll be pretty safe. It shit gets shady just report and paypal will side with you and give your cash back.
At the very least, I'm fairly sure they are based in the US (they charge sales tax in Illinois) so that worries me a little less after seeing that

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
At the very least, I'm fairly sure they are based in the US (they charge sales tax in Illinois) so that worries me a little less after seeing that
they are not, they are a UK based operation.

http://whois.domaintools.com/expansys-usa.com

i wouldn't trust those dirty euros as far as i could throw them, but the site has been up since 2003

the MAIN uk site has been up since 98
http://whois.domaintools.com/expansys.com

still i wouldn't trust those Europeans to deliver.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
They've probably been waiting all this time to get revenge for the Revolutionary War... We may have won our freedom almost 250 years ago, but now they'll scam us on some sweet, sweet tablets. Bastards

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can anyone give some quick advice on a tablet?
I would like something that has the ability to run windows programs (specifically, mission planner) and also has 3 USB ports. Is there anything that will run windows programs and also android apps? LTE connection possible, but not required?

It doesn't need to have much HDD space, but I would like it to have enough memory and processing power to be responsive and not lock up. I know that I can sort through all the tablets myself and look at the features, but I know zero about them and I'm hoping you all have some recommendations to save me some time.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Perhaps the newest surface pro? you want windows apps and android apps? im not certain but i honestly dont know many tablets besides the surface that have usb ports in general and i think they have an LTE version otw.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There are no tablets with 3 USB ports. You're fucked there. Windows 10 will have the ability to run Android apps natively but there's always other options like Blue Stack. LTE connection requirement means your tablet options just plummeted into garbage country. The Surface 3 has an LTE option but it's only available to businesses in Germany/UK right now.

I don't think you want a tablet.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Best Buy is having one of their $150 off Surface Pro promotions now. I think you can combine with the student $150 off or the 10% USPS mover coupon. May be possible to get a Pro 3 i7 128 gb for $999. Think I'm going to try tomorrow.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I think all of the Surface 2 with LTE are running Windows RT. They don't have a Pro LTE version.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Many of those requests are just what I need on my laptop, and the closer it gets to those capabilities, the more I can use it. The biggest reason I'm interested is because Tower by 3d-robotics runs on android OS and is very simple to use, but if I need to do any sort of parameter adjustments, I need to use mission planner on windows.
So, the windows 10 advice is good enough for me to look for something, even without LTE or 3 usb ports. Thanks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Many of those requests are just what I need on my laptop, and the closer it gets to those capabilities, the more I can use it. The biggest reason I'm interested is because Tower by 3d-robotics runs on android OS and is very simple to use, but if I need to do any sort of parameter adjustments, I need to use mission planner on windows.
So, the windows 10 advice is good enough for me to look for something, even without LTE or 3 usb ports. Thanks.
whats the requirement for 3 usb ports? could you just get a usb hub?
Amazon.com: Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS): Computers Accessories

this is a compact usb hub, it's a bit more expensive than some, but that's b/c it's usb3 (backwards compatible w/ usb2) and also has an external charger if you need it for like power hungry external HD.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wife still had access to her Auburn email so went ahead and put the order in for a Surface Pro 3. $999 seems fine to me and wanted something before we go to Seattle in the next two weeks. If the Pro 4 comes out in October maybe will try to resell this and pick that up. Wouldn't hate just end up using this as my work laptop as my current one is almost 3 years old.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I use BlueStacks to play some games. Works well on most, fails on some, but free is free.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Really tempted to pull the trigger on this:

Google Nexus 9 LTE Tablet w/ Portfolio Case (Black) #Nexus_9-LTE_Portfolio_BNDL - Expansys USA - $345

I wouldn't need the LTE version, but even a Wifi-Only Nexus 9 is like $479 retail. This is a hell of a deal, I'm just not familiar with this seller/site at ALL (got the link from Slickdeals)
The tablet showed up yesterday(damn fast shipping, for free and not being Amazon)

Great tablet so far. Immediately updated to Android 5.1, and my god is it fast. Incredibly responsive, super quick to load any app, load videos, etc. I thought my Note 3 phone was pretty responsive, but this tablet blows it out of the water. I have yet to see even a hint of stutter or lag when doing anything.

I really like the newer Android versions ability to restore all of your apps and settings from your previous android devices. That's one of the big advantages that iOS had for a while, glad Android finally has that(I hadn't bought a new tablet in 2+ years, that wasn't around last time I got one)

The screen looks amazing(easily on par with my Samsung Note 3, if not even better), and the tablet is incredibly light. Even with the 9" screen, it feels almost the same weight as my original Nexus 7 tablet. (looking up the exact specs, the Nexus 9 is about 80 grams more than the Nexus 7, but I honestly can't feel the difference, that's pretty small, 80 grams is less than 3 ounces)

I think the only knock I would give the Nexus 9 is that the camera sucks. 8mp camera using the default google camera app, whereas I'm used to using my 13mp Samsung camera in my Note 3 and my wife's Samsung S5. But, I never had any plans to ever use my tablet for taking pictures, so I really don't care, but that might be important for some people.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Was just coming to post that joeboo, have my replacement coming already. I've never noticed it get overly hot tho.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I want this

Samsung has an 18.4 could fold into two when idle

Samsung-patent.jpg