Tablets

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh didn't know they had a new surface pro releasing, guess I'll at least wait for that. Still interested in opinions though, like how well does it run games or are there weird limitations. Also wondering, I see that the storage seems pretty low, since it runs windows I assume you could just use an external HDD of some sort right? Similar question, can you just plugin any mouse/keyboard on USB and just use that?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have a Surface Pro 3 and I love it.

That being said you "can" run games on it but I do not. It has an Intel HD 4500 for video card I think so if the game supports that it will play on it. I have run Diablo 3 and WoW on mine before without any major issues.

The storage is low, it has a MicroSD slot though which a lot of people use to upgrade their storage, there are also guides out there to replace the SSD in it but it's not an easy case to open.

Yes you can plug a USB keyboard/mouse into it like any normal Windows computer but it only has one USB port so you need a hub if you want to do both or they have a docking station for it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It has that thin keyboard thing though, so couldn't you use that and leave the usb port for the mouse?
Yup, I use that keyboard myself and the trackpad on it. I don't use it for gaming though so can't tell you how good it is for that.

I use the Type cover and not the Touch cover, the difference is actual keys instead of just the membrane thing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
We've used Kindle Freetime for the better part of 2 years, the Kindle locks as normal, they're just trapped in the Freetime UI when it's unlocked. Not the 'kids edition' but rather a 7 Fire w/ very similar case and a 10".

Home is a UI element that swipes in from the right, not a button. The hardware buttons are volume (we had to install a volume limiter from the amazon web store) and power.
Thanks Stevo, I'll check this out if I get one. If I can customize the UI then it won't matter much if he can get out of it.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Google expands Pixel range with Pixel C tablet running Android, not Chrome OS | Ars Technica

Google has announced a new tablet sporting its Pixel branding. The Pixel C is a 10.2-inch tablet with a 2560?1800 308 pixel-per-inch screen, an NVIDIA X1 quad-core processor with an integrated Maxwell GPU, and 3GB of LPDDR4 RAM.

Until now, the Pixel branding has been used for Google's peculiarly high-end Chromebooks running the Chrome OS. The Pixel C, however, runs Android, not Chrome OS. Like the 2015 iteration of the Chromebook Pixel, the Pixel C uses USB Type C for charging and also has the colorful light bar to indicate how much battery life is left.

Google also has a pair of keyboard accessories, one aluminum and one leather, for the device. The "C" stands for convertible, with the keyboard attaching magnetically. There's no kickstand or clasp; magnets do all the work. The keyboards can stick to the front, to protect the screen, to the back, when using it as a tablet. The keyboard itself is Bluetooth, and when it's closed, it will inductively charge from the tablet unit.

Like the other Pixel products?and unlike the third-party branded Nexus devices?this is a Google design, with a premium price. The 32GB unit costs $499, 64GB $599, and the keyboard is $149. There's no international pricing yet.
Screen-Shot-2015-09-29-at-12.15.33-PM.png

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I'm confused... They are clearly pushing productivity by adding the keyboard, but there is no touchpad? If I'm on the couch, or on a plane, I'm not going to be using a mouse, but I'm definitely not going to bother with a touchscreen for tasks like spreadsheet or document editing. If it had a good touchpad I could see using this thing for such tasks, or to remote desktop to a desktop or work computer. Without it, it seems no different than any other entertainment tablet for consumption but not for production.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Got my cheap $50 Amazon tablet. For the price it actually is a pretty good piece of equipment. I'm not sold on the Amazon echo-system though, app store feels pretty sparse. The Amazon Prime video playback is pretty cool, we'll see how well the predictive downloading works. Screen is pretty good, web browsing is pretty snappy so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

I am going to give the Amazon echo-system a chance but I have a feeling I'm going to see what I can do about either side-loading apps or completely rooting the thing in the very near future.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's fine. Just know that an un-rooted Fire device has no access to the Google Play Store. You're stuck with the Amazon App store (if that's an issue at all for you). Although on most Kindles in the past, side-loading the Play Store has also worked, but I haven't looked into it lately to see if it still does on new Kindle Fires.

As much as I love Amazon and Amazon Prime, I still refuse to buy any of their hardware due to their proprietary BS. Just on general principle.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
There is a sale going on for one of the carriers that sell the Nexus 9. So far I am pretty happy with the purchase. I was waiting for the new Google android tablet to come out, but got pretty disappointed with the pricing of the Pixel C. Got my N9 for 400 CAD... not a lot is gonna top that for the price.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Got my cheap $50 Amazon tablet. For the price it actually is a pretty good piece of equipment. I'm not sold on the Amazon echo-system though, app store feels pretty sparse. The Amazon Prime video playback is pretty cool, we'll see how well the predictive downloading works. Screen is pretty good, web browsing is pretty snappy so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

I am going to give the Amazon echo-system a chance but I have a feeling I'm going to see what I can do about either side-loading apps or completely rooting the thing in the very near future.
I was at Best Buy looking at those when I saw thisDigiland 8" TabletIt was running Windows 10 and was pretty zippy. <$100

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bought my mother an Asus Zenpad 8, screen looked nice and seemed snappy. Unfortunately Asus really showing its PC maker roots, you have to watch the model numbers as they ship a variety of specs under the same name; plus different specs by region.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Microsoft really is fighting back with some nice products recently after the disaster that was the Steve Ballmer era. Would love to see them break up the Android and Apple dominant market since competition is always s good thing for the consumer.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Just preordered the Surface Book. 4GB RAM isn't sufficient for my mobile use anymore, so the price difference between the 8GB Surface Pro 4 and the entry-level Surface Book is only $200 -- and that buys me a better keyboard, not having to deal with a kickstand, and 3 hours of additional battery life. No brainer.

Just wish they'd lower the price of the display adapter. $200 to connect my laptop to two monitors, a mouse, and a keyboard is absurd.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That's a pretty sweet package. I wonder how the Surface Book performs with the screen detached compared to the Surface Pro 4. Are they essentially the same with the optional extra hardware (GPU, HDD, etc.) housed in the keyboard, or is it significantly more wimpy?

Edit: Holy shit, $2700 to get 16 gb RAM.

Double edit: Has anyone seen the actual model of the GPU?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
From the website description, the GPU is in the keyboard so if you detach it, it performs worse than if it's linked, but since the surface pro doesn't have a GPU to begin with, it's probably about the same.

Shit looks expensive as fuck but damn sweet. Might buy one next year, will wait for reviews and what not first, plus not sure when it'll be available in europe anyway.