Tablets

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Got mine at Gamestop yesterday. Performance wise I played with Antutu bench and it got a 19,800 score. Quite impressive since currently the only thing that gets higher is the Galaxy S 4 (24K) and HTC One (23k) at stock.

I use to have an Asus Transformer Prime (Tegra 3) but got rid of it because web browsing was so choppy and slow. So far the new Nexus 7 is much better for browsing in Chrome with no slow downs yet.

They moved the front camera from the center to the right of the tablet. This pretty much means new cases and screen protectors if you care about the cameras.

So far it's honestly the first Android tablet I have seen with a really good browsing experience and since that was my main purpose for a tablet I'm liking this one a lot.
http://allthingsd.com/20130730/samsu...s4-benchmarks/

http://allthingsd.com/20130731/samsu...g-explanation/

Seems like Samsung is doing some tricky shit with its S4 for better benchmarks

Drew

Molten Core Raider
http://allthingsd.com/20130730/samsu...s4-benchmarks/

http://allthingsd.com/20130731/samsu...g-explanation/

Seems like Samsung is doing some tricky shit with its S4 for better benchmarks
That's for the international version which uses the Samsung built Exynos 5 Octa. US versions use the Snapdragon 600. Basically Samsung uses their own chip for international phones because they don't have an LTE radio. US phones require an LTE radio to compete. Not sure a Galaxy phone has used a Samsung CPU/GPU in the US since the Galaxy S 2 (the last non-LTE Galaxy).

Either way it's lame they have it configured to technically cheat.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
No other company has ever made alterations to their drivers for the sole purpose of making their product perform better in benchmarks. No sir, never happened before.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
So I have been thinking about getting an android tablet for a while and from what I hear the Nexus 7 is the way to go. It will mostly be sitting in the bathroom so I can play games / surf the web while taking a shit so I don't really need the state of the art, but I still would like it to last for a while. With that said, I am willing to wait until Xmas as I don't really NEED this but is there something coming out from now till then that is more "bang-for-your-buck" or is the Nexus 7 still where its at?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
All the comic talk in this thread final pushed me off the fence. I have run with an iphone for many years now and subscribed to the premises that it was good enough. Yesterday Bestbuy had Ipads on sale (4% off FUCK YA) so i splurged for my Bday and got the 128g. I wanted to go in for the 64g but it was only $70 more to double the storage. I am a bit pissed off i did not take the plunge years ago. I have 40gigs on it already with no Movies yet ! I found a app called "VLCStreamer" that sets up in a whole 60 seconds and seamless streams my tv and video collection from my PC. I had anticipated having to set up homeshare with itunes (bleh)

I got comic zeal and it is everything that has been posted here and more. But oh man the comics, i fully have the bug again, i have been clean and sober since 1995 besides some TV/Movies & a TradePB every 2 years or so. The art is amazing with the retina, and OMG X-men forever, Chris Clairemont continuing where he left off in 1991. My Nerd Boner is at max capacity. The Pirate Bay now my comic Mecca, 100 gigs and 6449 issues downloaded in the last 24 hours ! Good thing my ISP billing cycle resets tonight lol.

Thank you for talking about comics in this thread.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
As far as bang for your buck you might be able to pick up an old nexus 7 for pretty cheap as well.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
With the upcoming school year, keep your eyes open for cheap iPad minis. There are piles of specials that Apple will throw in either an iPod or an iPad mini in with a laptop/desktop purchase. Most of these kids already have Apple products, so you may be able to pick them up on the cheap. A buddy of mine said HI was littered with them up through the new year on the cheap.

This is assuming you want to be in the iOS ecosystem. I've found that games play fairly well on the one I snagged for cheap. XCom on the go makes me a happy camper.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Although I have no issue against apple products (I love my iPod shuffle for working out) regardless of the price I think I would still go with an android version after getting an galaxy S3. Having my phone and tablet "sync" up is too good to pass up.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Personally, I think the Android phone + iPad combo is hard to beat. You get all the flexibility and power of Android on your phone, while still having access to the exclusives available in the ios store, in particular the huge amounts of games that seem to be ios only. While Android's tablet ecosystem is improving, it's still not good enough to compete with ios, unfortunately. I think it'll be in much better shape in 12 months time, though - the new Nexus 7 seems to be loved by everyone, and I'm sure it'll attract a lot of developers to the Android tablet platform.

Speaking of the Nexus 7, those of us in the UK are getting shafted with the new one. Not only is the release heavily delayed compared to the US (we're not getting it 'til September), Google has upped the price by ?40 ($60) over last year's model, which is quite a bit more than the $30 price increase in the US. Over here, the Nexus 7 is only slightly less expensive than the iPad Mini. It's rather disappointing.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
For those of you who use or have both 7" and 10" tablets, any preferences? This wouldn't be used for work / mobility much and just me sitting on the shitting/in bed playing games and surfing the net.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
7 inch is infinitely more portable and I can carry it around in one hand so I have it with me all around the house. 10 inch is better only for watching shows or movies. 10 inch is handy for documents but I just use my convertible x230 for that these days.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
For those of you who use or have both 7" and 10" tablets, any preferences? This wouldn't be used for work / mobility much and just me sitting on the shitting/in bed playing games and surfing the net.
I like the 10" form factor a lot more for lounging around the house, but then, I don't really get 7" tablets at all. To me they're an oversized phone and/or an undersized tablet.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't really "get" either size of tablet, but I don't like 10 inch ones at all. Too big and heavy and you can't hold them in one hand for an extended period of time for reading or whatever.

The way that I use the internet as a message board addict means that I never read very long without wanting to do some typing at which point I want to ditch the tablet and use something with a real keyboard.

TheProfessor

Does anyone know any threads/forums that give information about jailbreaking the latest Ipad and list possible apps for it?

Alexzander

Try searching Youtube for iPad Jailbreak apps. A couple users post pretty good monthly rundowns.