Tales of Arise

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Checked out the pay2win DLCs on this thing. Yow. I like costumes and everything (prolly get a few of those in Berseria) but all of the "Add 10 levels for $3" stuff is nuts. Unless, maybe, it's a one-time, one-use kind of thing. And even then it's still kind of WTF. Berseria has some DLC like this but it's even worse here. I know it's all optional and it's easy enough to just ignore these things, but it robs the game of a lot of the sense of achievement when I know I can just go pay2win at any time. Like the way the FFIX remasters add a "hit enemies for 9999" button. Like why bother building up your characters and optimizing / min-maxing when you always know you're a button press away from wiping out a boss?

Whatever, it's "accessibility", I get it. Don't like it.

Some of you guys forget they have done this for years and years.

I mean, remember people up in arms over Vesperia 13 fucking years ago?

This is entirely a single player game. Who cares if they want to charge for levels. If people are stupid enough to pay for that, then its good business sense. It's a different situation entirely if it wasnt single player or there was some kind of competition out there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Can run this max on 4k but getting weird audio glitches - i cant tell if its my Sonos or what but i hooked up a PC to TV in MBR but the audio is weird - i looked up steam comments and seems its a frequent thing.

You can run with 200 texture resolution? Are you running a 3090?

I can run this maxed on the 2080 without issue (75 or so fps) with 100 texture res. But at 200, it dies (but wowzers it looks great)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

This is entirely a single player game. Who cares if they want to charge for levels. If people are stupid enough to pay for that, then its good business sense. It's a different situation entirely if it wasnt single player or there was some kind of competition out there.

Yeah its not MP and doesnt change anything for anyone since youre not going to interact with those who did purchase - so the issue is pretty moot - Tales games arent the first to do it but they do it pretty consistently.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
You can run with 200 texture resolution? Are you running a 3090?

I can run this maxed on the 2080 without issue (75 or so fps) with 100 texture res. But at 200, it dies (but wowzers it looks great)

I have a 5950x, Liquid Devil Ultimate, and 3800CL14 ram - this runs just fine - its the audio that sucks balls for some reason

edit - Ive only played an hour - and cx48 is limited to 120hz anyways - i actually havent checked my fps but i didnt notice any slow down - i was too focused on figuring out why audio was having issues.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

For now it is mostly hypothetical slippery slope kind of worrying. Even though it is SP only in what ways could the addition of micro transactions have influenced the development of the content? Didn’t we see that in one of the LotR games, where content was basically impossible unless you paid for bonuses? Not implying it has or will happen in Tales, but I understand too some extent people with concerns. Then when you see the addition of unique Artes that may or may not be duplicates of existing in-game artes it gets a little more borderline. That isn’t just a cosmetic but it also isn’t just a +9999 damage mod.

Anyways, again, I get the concerns that seeing them so heavily pushed feels like it could influence other areas of game design. We may not be there yet but I’d rather not see them. Companies aren’t going to throw away free money though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I don't care if people want to pay $60 for a game and then pay another $52 so they don't actually have to play it. I think they're retards, and assholes for encouraging the companies to continue doing it, that's about it. As far as cheater DLC goes, I do think that Arise is probably the worst I've ever seen. I mean, it's 45 levels, something like 1M gald while making crafting almost free in both gald and mats, 10000 SP + double XP/SP gained, an extra 100 CP, plus a bunch more artifacts that make everything easier/cheaper.

DLC costume titles cross a line though, whether or not they're unique. And I'm still seeing people say stuff like Dohalim's only AOE healing arte is Fairy Circle from one of his costumes. It's not quite the first time they've done it, but arte DLC for Zestiria was free/not unique and Graces f only had a a few costumes with titles and no major gameplay effects.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Downloaded the demo, and after about 20m, I just don't know what the point of it was. You can just stand around and the other party members kill everything. Does dodging really require pressing down left-stick and r2? Was playing the mace & shield lady, so r2 just blocked a bit of dmg.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Downloaded the demo, and after about 20m, I just don't know what the point of it was.
The demo is a terrible representation of the full game.

Fitgirl has the full demo, could check that out.
This is what I did to see what exactly all the cheater DLC is like. It's as bad as I originally thought. As far as I can tell the skills ARE unique, contrary to what Pyros Pyros was saying. Even the ones that are sort of clones of base game ones have an extra effect, like instead of just hitting something twice you hit them twice and create a wind dmg tornado. And I still haven't seen any sign of Dohalim getting an AOE heal outside of his DLC titles.

Lack of 21:9 support is pretty pathetic for yet another UE4 game too. Usually there's a quick fix from WSGF, but apparently Bamco went above and beyond to screw it up.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Why no Nintendo switch version?

• 1Rustled

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Downloaded the demo, and after about 20m, I just don't know what the point of it was. You can just stand around and the other party members kill everything. Does dodging really require pressing down left-stick and r2? Was playing the mace & shield lady, so r2 just blocked a bit of dmg.
Not sure what difficulty the demo is on, but in the full game the other chars are basically worthless as per usual in Tales, they extend combos, do a bit of damage and handle the heals, but they eat boss attacks constantly and do like the same as your own damage with all of them combined due to not spamming shit properly. Definitely can't afk with them, besides maybe some of the easier trash pack but that's still slow as shit.

Dodge can be done with just R2. Shield lady doesn't dodge though, that's her thing, she blocks instead. You block you massively reduce dmg and increase damage of your shield skills. You can do perfect blocks though which work like perfect dodges(press R2 right before the hit) and then you take no dmg and can do a counter.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ah nice, having r2 for dodge is alright with me.

yeah the tooltip for dodge indicating L Stick + R2 could have been a little more clear at first glance. It looked almost like you had to press L3 or something + a direction but you can just mash R2.

No further than on Thursday thanks to kid time and work, need to do a few hours after they all hit the sack.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This is alot of fun, ive only downed 2 of the big bads so far but im enjoying this quite alot. It did take a bit to adjust to the combat but even still its one of the better Tales games in a while.

Needless

Toe Sucker
i had to cave and buy the 99 item max capacity DLC, i forgot how fucking retarded tales games are having max 15 items in most cases (which you probably only need anyway). However leaving items behind makes me reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pretty far into the game(I think) myself, like 4 areas done, on the "last" one(although I'm sure there's gonna be another after cause what JRPG doesn't have additional areas once you're "done" with the first objective), few things I'm not a fan so far.

First is boss fights and how they just degenerate into spamming mystic artes in their last bar, shit's fucking annoying and if you don't have damage reduction accessories you just kinda die. I guess good aoe heals could help but CP is also kinda low at that point, and aoe heals aren't a thing so far unlike some other Tales(there's Healing Circle but shit's too small and over time). It's fine to have to switch to accessories for boss fights, just don't like how it's just mystic art after mystic art at the end in some kind of soft enrage shit.

Second thing is the caster girl has for some reason super limited spells. It isn't uncommon in tales for the caster to start with an even split of normal "weapon" artes and some spells, and as you progress you get more and more spells, but here you just mostly keep getting the normal artes and a lot of aerial moves, but very few actual spells to make use of the spell charge mechanic. At the point I'm at, I've only gotten 2 additional spell besides the 3 baselines, and I just got that 5th one like as I started the 5th area. It's kinda weird, and she's also stuck with 3 elements only so far. Which is standard early on in Tales, but usually you branch out and start getting different elements too later on, but no here, no fire/dark/earth spells yet which is also kinda weird.

Third is the emphasis on air artes in this game. They have their own category for shortcuts and shit and every character gets half a dozen of them pretty quick. That's nice but a lot of the chars don't even use them when played by the AI(they never jump and try to use them even if you turn off everything else, only chars that use them are the ones with ground artes that put them in the air). It's kinda weird. They also feel still as shitty as usual on anything but larger bosses where you'll just hit regardless, smaller mobs don't float long enough to get more than like one skill in the air anyway unless they're being massively comboed to stay in the air by other ppl at the same time, feels meh. On the caster I'd much rather get more spells than all of these jumping attacks, a lot of which aren't even good due to terrible targetting/range/aoe/movement(some are good though and since there's no cast time you can spam them pretty quick).

Last is how boring the passives are this time around? A lot of them are just duplicates, and a lot are super generic shit. There isn't much in terms of unique stuff for each char and mechanic changing systems. Taking the caster as an example, there's no "cast faster but do less damage" and "cast slower but do more dmg" passives. No "caster faster when using different/the same element multiple times in a row" and really not even much stuff related to the charging spell mechanic. Feels like it's missing a bunch of stuff.

Overall while I'm liking the game so far, I think I liked Berseria combat/mechanics more. Magilou especially was crazy fun compared to Rinwell who's more like older Tales casters, a bit rigid and boring.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I am a little pass the 2nd lord and was fighting some boars when mid fight a dragon landed and join the fight. It was nearly as strong as a boss fight and caught me off guard. Is this just random or is there a mechanic at work in which a dragon appears mid fight?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
This is my first Tales game and I'm enjoying it so far. Seems a bit shallow on some of the RPG side of things, I just upgrade weapons basically taking the highest damage, upgrade armor taking the highest defense. The only thought I'm really having is picking the right accessories for the right scenario. That said, I'm enjoying the combat/gameplay.

I basically went no life this weekend and
I'm past the 5 lords section of the game.
I thought I had beaten the game but in typical JRPG fashion it continues on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am a little pass the 2nd lord and was fighting some boars when mid fight a dragon landed and join the fight. It was nearly as strong as a boss fight and caught me off guard. Is this just random or is there a mechanic at work in which a dragon appears mid fight?

There's a quest for that -- since you killed the dragon, when you find the quest, the game will automatically give you the option to say "I already killed that"

That's one thing this game handles exceptionally well are the states of the side quests.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Nearly as strong? I just got to that part yesterday, it had twice the HP of the 2nd boss and oneshot anything it touched with a regular hit (I am playing on the setting after normal, so moderate?). I fled and it kept appearing in fights randomly, so figured it was something like Aladain said. Maybe I am just bad, but I couldn't beat him at all, and don't have that many resources. Actually have to use items now instead of selling off items as they reach 15.

Enjoying it so far.

Question though, is there any reason for later to keep old weapons/armour? Or can I sell them? I know some of these games can be "oh you sold your original rusty weapon? No ultimate weapon for you!"