Tales of Arise

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I am a little pass the 2nd lord and was fighting some boars when mid fight a dragon landed and join the fight. It was nearly as strong as a boss fight and caught me off guard. Is this just random or is there a mechanic at work in which a dragon appears mid fight?
It's one of these big mob thing only that it's not on the map, but always pops when you do that fight, you get a sidequest for it like 5mins later once you get into the city, but he's somewhat high lvl the first time, he fucked me up too but and then you can see in the monster list thing he's like 26 or 27 or so and you're probably 18 that's why he smashes you, I did him after the rest of the area rather than right away.
This is my first Tales game and I'm enjoying it so far. Seems a bit shallow on some of the RPG side of things, I just upgrade weapons basically taking the highest damage, upgrade armor taking the highest defense. The only thought I'm really having is picking the right accessories for the right scenario. That said, I'm enjoying the combat/gameplay.

I basically went no life this weekend and
I'm past the 5 lords section of the game.
I thought I had beaten the game but in typical JRPG fashion it continues on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Yeah gearing is usually pretty simple, only thing is you used to unlock passives and shit out of items in the past couple Tales I played(berseria and vesperia), like you'd need to fight a certain amount to fill up a bar on a given weapon, and you'd learn a passive out of it, so you'd want to buy every weapon and learn everything slowly and you had some switching to do when you did boss fights and shit(cause often you'd be learning skills off a shit weapon from 1-2zones back unless you grinded hardcore). But other than that it's pretty straightforward, although this one you can craft accessories, and they have random stats on them, so you can grind materials and then make some unique pieces depending on RNG. Like I got a nice 15% magic attack(which is the base accessory) with bonus 60magic attack +7.5% fire(but not fire spells sadly) Lower Aggro S accessory on my mage and shit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Question though, is there any reason for later to keep old weapons/armour? Or can I sell them? I know some of these games can be "oh you sold your original rusty weapon? No ultimate weapon for you!"
Armor no reason afaik, but weapons you want to keep, like many old Tales, you need old weapons to make better ones sometimes. Like you'll get Refined Weapon X or whatever and it uses usual monster materials+old weapon, so if you vendored it, you need to recraft it and it's just a waste of money. Started seeing these in the 4th area which I kinda expected so I had kept everything.

If you need money, you can grind those mining nodes for a few minutes, actually makes pretty decent money, more so than fighting. Although I haven't had to grind anything, just doing sidequests has been enough without selling anything and having to buy Life Bottles a fair bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The mining nodes with the artifact is amazing. I got like 12 pieces from one node once.

Fishing is also decent money but i think its boring.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
When do you get to refine weapons? i can craft but i havent seen anything about refining - when does that come into play?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
When do you get to refine weapons? i can craft but i havent seen anything about refining - when does that come into play?
It's just crafting, but you craft a Refined version of the weapon(well the name isn't always refined, some are but for example the books for Rinwell are like "Name of the book Vol. 2" and such), just means you need to keep your old weapons cause they can be upgraded, Tales often do that stuff.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Anyone far along that can comment on whether you earn enough SP to fill out all the skill trees by end game or is this going to be a grind/new game+ territory?

Currently just through the second area and it feels like there is no way it's going to be possible.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Other stuff like gald and xp aren't too bad, but SP is a shit grind that seems balanced around people buying and using the cheater DLCs. Definitely don't try to grind SP until you get artifacts and such to increase the amount you receive (which you should see starting to appear in the third area IIRC).

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Figures. Doubt I'll bother since I rarely do NG+ without new content incentives and grinding for the sake of completionism isn't my thing.

Vorph

FYI to anyone who does want to do NG+, being able to transfer everything over is contingent on finding a bunch of owls that unlock specific carry-overs. And there is one missable owl late in the game, but I don't think that's NG+ related, just locks you out of an achievement if you don't grab it immediately.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Haven't had any problems on Moderate up until the slime boss guy (which obviously isn't even far, just no time to play). It wasn't a "problem" it just burned through a lot of resources.

I'm also in that mode of everything costing so many damn SP that I just save up 2k and am like, "oh oops, guess I better spend some more." And then 2 seconds later a new title unlocks and it would have been nice to have an extra 960 SP sitting in the bank.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I’m just now getting to the town where everyone seems to be getting along and still enjoy the game quite a bit. The trials seem quite hard at my level so I may need to wait some levels to beat them.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've been playing for the last few days. I just finished the 3rd region.

I'm not a huge Tales player, as in I haven't played all of them, and not finished all of those I did play. It's probably my favorite since Vesparia which is my favorite.

The story and setting is fairly interesting, the same can be said of the characters most of which I find interesting. Berseria was a good game, but I disliked a lot of the characters which made enjoying a bit hard.

The gameplay so far is pretty solid too, and I like that I completed about 75%+ of the sidequests before actually picking up the quest itself just by being thorough while exploring.

I really like the combat so far on normal difficulty, the system is fairly straightforward and fun. Controls are easy to pick up and remember. The constant talking is annoying though, although I don't think the boost attacks will ever get old...damn those are flashy and fun to watch. :)

Visually the game is gorgeous which just enhance all the other aspects.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
It's honestly so satisfying when you do the duo boost attacks, it really pushes you to improve on getting combo going to stagger ennemies.

I'm at the point where I recruited the 5th party members (and I suspect the 6th is just after a bit of talking) and I'm really enjoying the game so far.

I found bosses easier since I started using the "Go all out against bosses tactic" against them, and trash fights are going much quicker since I started using "fight aggressively" on them.

Worst boss for me was the second Lord, man was he a pain in the ass.

Edit : One thing annoys me though. When a fight begins and I start going to town on a mob, it's like the NPCs fucking always attack another target than me. The dumbasses can't be bothered to assist me so I have to run back to their target.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm at the point where a lot of sidequests open up at the same time and fuck they needed to put a level req in the quest log or somewhere, it's fucking stupid when a bunch of the quests are around 38-42(when my chars are 36, so it's doable normal stuff), but then you have like a lvl 48, 60 and 66 quest mixed in for no reason. Also access to various places that have 60mobs in them but at least these you can kinda run out(kinda only, one of them you can't, have to reload to a previous save). Just kinda weird, I get that's the point of the story where it "opens up" a bit, but the fact you can't tell how strong something is before entering fights(and for some of them you just enter a fight without even seeing a monster) sucks. Luckily, they have autosaves so you just reload before and go do something else.

Other issue so far I've had is spells are terribly balanced. All the long cast spells aren't really worth casting unless you need to aoe a lot of things and even the short small spells are super poorly balanced, with Air Thrust doing like twice the DPS of Spread, even though Spread aoe is tiny and it can more easily miss stuff and still does more dmg than Thunder Blade even though that one needs to be cast much closer, plus Air Thrust is projectiles so it hits stuff in the air easily. It's just weird shit, makes the boss fights very spammy on the Rinwell, it's strong though, like spamming 2k dmg attacks for 2AP every second or so, while other chars get stuck into long animations doing 600-800dmg and what not, and you can cast from range obviously. Sucks though cause I liked Magilou's spam combo stuff a lot more, it would let you cast even the slow spells quickly once they were comboed after each other, but in this the combo cast speed bonus is small enough it barely matters or you need too high combos to make it work with the longer spells(not sure which tbh). Also makes spell charging super gimmicky, it's just not better than spamming the short spells over and over instead.

Other than that it's pretty nice, characters are pretty interesting so far and the story, while not super surprising, is nice enough.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You do not need to use any software whatsoever for the PS4 controller to work. I sure didn't. Some people use ds4windows but I don't. It's just plug and go for me.

I also have a bluetooth dongle and play wirelessly without issue. Vibration, etc all works.
Which dongle do you use? I bought one I saw in other forums and it didn’t work with the ds4 so I didn’t try anymore. I’d like to get one, I use a cable now and it’s annoying. It worked with ds4windows but that had annoying stuff around it too. I just want to turn on the controller and play wirelessly, not fuck with software and cables.

Vorph

Which dongle do you use? I bought one I saw in other forums and it didn’t work with the ds4 so I didn’t try anymore. I’d like to get one, I use a cable now and it’s annoying. It worked with ds4windows but that had annoying stuff around it too. I just want to turn on the controller and play wirelessly, not fuck with software and cables.
has worked perfectly with all my DS4, X1, and 8bitdo controllers. The shitty part of using it with DS4 though is that if you use Remote Play at all you still have to plug in the cable because Sony are a bunch of assholes who require you to use their proprietary dongle on PC even though it's been out of production since 2017.

The trick to getting BT to work well in any computer that also uses USB 3.0 devices or wireless LAN is to get a long USB-A extension cord and plug the BT dongle into the end of it far away from the PC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

I actually have the official sony one which apparently is no longer made and about $200 on ebay (lol?)

Has worked flawlessly though.

Vorph

I actually have the official sony one which apparently is no longer made and about $200 on ebay (lol?)
Yeah, that's the one you need if you want to use Remote Play on PC without connecting your DS4 via cable.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Big Picture Mode on my PC/Steam Link on my living room has always worked perfect for every game with XBOX/PS4 controller whether by default or importing/creating a random config with no extra drivers or needing to plug in via USB.

I do have a cheap dongle I use with joytokey on PC to map kb/m to controller for shit like card games that don't have controller support so I can lounge though which has been $$. Basically go XBOX controller or go home =D

--

This is definitely my top Tales game purely based on combat (Feels FFVII Remake Which is A+) and story pacing is not putting me to sleep even if the story isn't groundbreaking. Slightly disappointed with how generic areas are though and that going out of the way exploring often leads to something like "lavender" which is <_<. About to wrap up 3rd area. Difficulty in moderate doesn't seem bad at all aside from when I don't have a break boost available to get the npc out of the way and so it takes a 1 shot in the face.

Vorph

The only thing that really frustrates me about the combat is how insanely fast the Strike/combo meter drops off. Occasionally I'll see it give me a little bit of leeway to reposition or charge an AG, but most of the time it just infuriates me as the bar is like 95% full and I stop attacking for half a second only to lose the whole thing.

I fully admit I fucking suck at Tales combat though. Doesn't matter if it's Graces f, Xillia, Zestiria, Vesperia, or now Arise, it's just never clicked for me at all.