Tales of Arise

Malkav

French Madman
The only thing that really frustrates me about the combat is how insanely fast the Strike/combo meter drops off. Occasionally I'll see it give me a little bit of leeway to reposition or charge an AG, but most of the time it just infuriates me as the bar is like 95% full and I stop attacking for half a second only to lose the whole thing.

I fully admit I fucking suck at Tales combat though. Doesn't matter if it's Graces f, Xillia, Zestiria, Vesperia, or now Arise, it's just never clicked for me at all.

Oh yeah, that shit sometime drops back to 0 like a brick, it's really infuriating.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20210914_102125.jpg

Well, they certainly know how to sell DLC packs

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Meh. The nearly back to back bosses of the last part of area 3 wiped out most of my resources and have no money left. Have some peach and apple gels left. Out of life bottles and orange gels (which are crazy expensive). Not done any real grinding yet, but I think I need to now.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Meh. The nearly back to back bosses of the last part of area 3 wiped out most of my resources and have no money left. Have some peach and apple gels left. Out of life bottles and orange gels (which are crazy expensive). Not done any real grinding yet, but I think I need to now.
You're about to unlock fishing if you haven't already, that'll help with the gald problems.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah also anytime you're at the end of an area you end up fighting soldiers and shit, and they drop tags which are just money items. Can make a ton of money just fighting guards over and over especially once you have unlocked the combat bonus counter thing in the top right corner that increases loot as you keep fighting. It's basically around that point that money stops being an issue imo, like you make more than you spend even if you refill orange gels and life bottles every boss fight.

Haven't had to grind on Moderate at least but I also play Rinwell so it gives me an edge when it comes to reducing damage taken and increasing damage done, since I stay away from stuff and monsters often just focus me so as long as I dodge they don't aoe everyone at once(most of the time, shit that charges will generally still clip the melees pretty often cause these fucks are retarded).

Speaking of, anyone who's near the end of the game/finished the game, is there better accessories than the 15% magic attack/phys attack ones, like a 30% version that unlocks later? Thinking of maybe farming for these and making perfect ones but I don't want to waste too much time if I'm gonna unlock a better version soon.

Vorph

Pretty sure 15% ones are as good as it gets for just raw attack/ele.attack. There's alternatives though, like +20% cast speed or -20% CP costs for the casters, or Buff Bangle for Alphen/Law when you're just fighting trash mobs for xp and loot.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure 15% ones are as good as it gets for just raw attack/ele.attack. There's alternatives though, like +20% cast speed or -20% CP costs for the casters, or Buff Bangle for Alphen/Law when you're just fighting trash mobs for xp and loot.
I see guess I'll make a 15% ele dmg one then cause I don't see cast speed beating it with the numbers I checked out, unless I can get the cast time down a lot more. Although I wonder if going crit instead might be more viable, I have to check how much difference crits make in terms of damage, since they also refund AG.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

They deserve it.

So my opinion so far...

I have just landed on lenegis. I find the story quite good, if not super slow to get going. It's starting to have the typical tropey stuff but I don't mind that. I do like the idea of what Shionne is going through and am interested to know how all this wraps up. All things considered, this is my favorite tales game ever. My previous favorite was Beseria and before that was Abyss (Unlike most, I thought Vesperia was one of the weakest in the entire series. Legendia tier.)

My complaints about the game though are more centered around the systems than the overall game. For example, I am not a fan of titles being how you get stronger, and I am also not really a fan of farming low level stuff quickly is far superior to farm your SP. The EXP/SP rewards just seem really off. During the wedge, I forgot the fight but one of the big mobs (but not bosses) that had like 85,000 hp took like 2 minutes to kill and gave me like 75exp and 12sp despite having like 15 points on the fight. Meanwhile, I go back to Ulzebek and kill level 7 armadillos for 9 SP each fight that takes 2-3 seconds. I am also not a fan of having to constantly mine ore to get the ones with good sub-abilities to craft. I keep getting shit like Warrior Emblems with Increase Agro M and Decrease Agro L on the same item. It's a needless grind.

I wish there was more options to craft weapons and armor and accessories beyond what's there. I do like Zesteria's system in that regard, despite the other shortcomings of its gearing system.

The cheater DLC thing doesn't bother me at all, but it would have been nice if they were more upfront about it. I bought the ultimate pack, just because I love supporting Tales development, and didn't realize it came with some of the cheater DLC out of the box. I also want to buy the BGM pack, but I can't justify paying $28 for a few extra battle themes. If that was $10 they would have gotten a sale. $28 is wildly overpriced.

And speaking of: The Music. What's with Motoi Sakuraba lately? I find the music to be relatively weak, and I also thought it was weak in Beseria. Motoi is one of my most fav JRPG composers in existence, and this is like the 3rd game in a row I feel he's completely missed the mark. There are a few decent pieces, but most of the battle pieces don't really belong, and lack of any victory jingle doesn't give you that satisfaction of winning a fight (though that's not Motoi's fault). Overall, the music is simply just OK, but that's sad given the history of Tales and the high quality of their music.

My favorite character in the game without question is Kisara. She's mom. The voice of reason. The giver of hard truths. I view her as the counter-balance of the typical JRPG tropey stuff.

Graphically this game is exquisite. It's no question one of the best looking games I've played. And burst strikes never get old. Those look so fucking cool.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm about 35 hours in and I've done like 50 side quests and put together the captain planet orb and it still says I haven't seen like 80 enemy types.

Either this game is way longer than I expected or there is a lot of random stuff to do once completed.

Haven't really done any extra grinding. Team feels strong and currently around L37-38. Was able to pop the mantis miniboss at L34 without needing to chug consumes. I will say most of the miniboss types do feel pretty weak though as it's super easy to keep them chain down until they go super saiyan. Money hasn't been an issue at all and currently always at 100k+ while keeping best armor/weapons and a stock of orange gel.

I really dig almost everything about the game and hope the other popular JRPG series really step up their game to match.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm about 35 hours in and I've done like 50 side quests and put together the captain planet orb and it still says I haven't seen like 80 enemy types.

Either this game is way longer than I expected or there is a lot of random stuff to do once completed.

Haven't really done any extra grinding. Team feels strong and currently around L37-38. Was able to pop the mantis miniboss at L34 without needing to chug consumes. I will say most of the miniboss types do feel pretty weak though as it's super easy to keep them chain down until they go super saiyan. Money hasn't been an issue at all and currently always at 100k+ while keeping best armor/weapons and a stock of orange gel.

I really dig almost everything about the game and hope the other popular JRPG series really step up their game to match.
On the enemy types to be fair, you probably have seen most types already, they just do a bunch of recolors. The mini bosses(both the sidequest ones and later on they start just having them as random mobs in dungeons too) is where the combat shines more, but yeah you can chain knockdown some of them, especially if you cheese with accessory crafting. Some can be somewhat challenging though.

I finished it in around 55hours or so, maybe a bit less cause of afking, and did 100% the achievements stuff in about 5 more. Pretty fun game, although I had more fun playing Berseria combat wise, mostly because Magilou was better than Rinwell in terms of mechanics and spells. That said a lot of other things I liked in this better, they made several qol changes that felt great. Game also looks like an actually modern game instead of a PS3 game with slighty better textures like the PS4 Tales.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
That is probably true. Been running into recolors.

Yeah I've just been using alphen and letting shionne, rin, dohalim do caster things. I tried playing some of the others but the ranged classes just don't feel as good as the in your face beat down and the AI seems so much better at getting the hell out of the way compared to early game so no need to micromanage boosts to save their life. Kisara has a flashy tank type moveset but it feels awful to play =O

Am tempted to see what law can do as the handful of times I've left him in party he's nearly always in awakened state and seems like he'd play pretty close to tifa's ffvii remake combat style.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I thought Kisara was pretty fun when I did her arena stuff(since it has fishing rewards). She does a lot of damage as long as you block first, and her block is somewhat "better" for most things since you don't need good timing unlike dodge, you can kinda just hold R2 and eat whatever attack, shit does like 50dmg instead of 1000dmg so while you do need heals now and then, it's really chip dmg, and the you pop enemies in the face with her guard skills and do heavy dmg.

I played Rinwell exclusively though, once I unlocked her, as I like casters in Tales. I gave the others a try too in arena but wasn't a fan, and playing casters you can leverage the free AG from boost attacks to more or less permanently spam spells, and that's big damage output as long as you're hitting weaknesses(or even if you aren't with the right spells).

Vorph

I don't know how people play as anyone but Alphen. The AI is so terrible about staying out of trouble that if I don't play one of the melees full time then even trash fights become an unholy CP suckfest. Law sits on the bench pretty much permanently since he takes so damn much damage in every fight, and I waffle between Kisara and Dohalim in the final slot. The AI isn't very good at playing Kisara, but at the same time I don't think Dohalim adds much to the group except when Shionne needs a sub.

Plus the AI doesn't even use blazing sword moves at all as far as I can tell, which is a massive loss. The AI never jumps either, which is another damage loss for Alphen in particular.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I can only play this in short bursts due to work, basically during conference calls when I’m not doing anything but then can’t play at all once they’re over and have to do everything. Just now finished up the Dohalim stuff and paused it again.

I like trying the others on the training grounds but yeah, I’ve pretty much only ever played the main character in these. With the exception of Berseria (?) where that one caster by the end just poured chain damage out like it was nothing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't know how people play as anyone but Alphen. The AI is so terrible about staying out of trouble that if I don't play one of the melees full time then even trash fights become an unholy CP suckfest. Law sits on the bench pretty much permanently since he takes so damn much damage in every fight, and I waffle between Kisara and Dohalim in the final slot. The AI isn't very good at playing Kisara, but at the same time I don't think Dohalim adds much to the group except when Shionne needs a sub.

Plus the AI doesn't even use blazing sword moves at all as far as I can tell, which is a massive loss. The AI never jumps either, which is another damage loss for Alphen in particular.
I used Rinwell, Dohalim with mostly melee attacks turned off(just the aerial launcher and some aerial skills, once he's in the air he usually doesn't get hit much) and healing off besides Rez so he'd just spam spells(had to switch earth or shadow spells depending on mobs with resists though), Shionne and Kisara. So Kisara was the only melee pretty much, and she tanks hits fairly well, either by blocking or face tanking with her high defense stats(I crafted a -20% elemental dmg accessory for her when they unlocked since her mdef is low). Alphen always out of party, because he's the one that sucks CP like crazy, since everytime you use his burst he loses a bunch of hp, and he does use flame sword skills every now and then which is more hp lost, on top of the hp he loses from taking dmg normally. He'd be at 1hp most of the time just from spamming the boost strike, but no need to heal him since he can't die when he's not an active member(also I think it triggers his low hp dmg passives constantly, so his burst strike actually does high dmg too).

I switched Kisara with Law every now and then and while damage was higher when Law could dodge stuff, some skills on some bosses he'd just get hit 100% of the time, so he was worthless on these.

Since most bosses tend to target you the player with priority(probably cause you do more dmg), playing as Rinwell I mostly tried to make it so bosses wouldn't hit the others when targetting me, and dodged stuff myself. It made it actually not that bad besides a few specific fights(anything with a constant charge like pigs is annoying cause they'll clip anyone in melee range as soon as they start charging).

CP becomes somewhat a non factor once you craft a CP reducing accessory though. And even before that it was rarely a problem besides the really early game, having gels on auto use at 25% CP and only Shionne using First Aid usually was more than fine, only rez sucked a lot of CP so as long as you use life bottles first it's not that bad.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Alright finally beat it. 45 hours on moderate about 80% achievements which is a pretty high percentage for me since I don't actively hunt for them. Believe I did all the meaningful content though.

Story got off the rails by the end but looked cool and this is easily cemented as favorite tales game.

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finished this last night after 42 hours. I really enjoyed it.

I liked the setting and characters. One thing with JRPG is there’s always one or two character that I dislike a lot and it wasn’t the case here, I thought they were all pretty interesting for the most part which really helped me enjoyed the game. The story was pretty until the end where it became a bit weird in typical JRPG style. I thought the game dragged on a bit forward the end though, but not enough to ruin an otherwise really great game.

I think they raised the bar for JRPG in the futur in terms of visuals, damn did the game look gorgeous…even after 42 hours the boost attacks never got old for me, I kept making sure to try and rotate between the characters to see all of them all the time. Rinwell/Alphen was probably one of my favourite.

Vorph

Why is this even a thing?

If they're going to give away free DLC, why do you have to register for a "chance" to get it "while supplies last". Supplies of digital codes... that's a good one. Never seen a DLC of this sort not just go up on the various shops for people to just download--and what's even weirder is that that's exactly how it works on PC. Only consoles have to jump through these hoops to [maybe] get it.

There's barely even any mention of this existing too. All anyone's talking about is the shitty overpriced cash-grab DLC they released last week, and it was just blind luck that I stumbled across this on some random YT video.