TeamViewer Hacked

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
fortunately we only use the quicklaunch version with the session # and four digit pin.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Did you know you can see the passwords in Chrome for your websites? Yeah you can, all you need is the local windows password.
You don't even need the Windows Password. From what that Reddit thread was saying these hackers are installing a program called Webbrowserpassview which will pull your saved passwords right out of whatever browser you have.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Use TeamViewer for tech support purpose for family and no issues. Although I don't allow them to use the saved password feature on their browsers. Not sure why anyone would do that in this day in age because if someone gets remote access you're completely fucked.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you keep your screen locked on OSX, even with VNC/remote admin unless your account password is the same as your VNC password (this would be insane) you can get screen access but can't unlock the screen/desktop.

Does it not work that way in windows?

Northerner

N00b
In windows you can set up your security policies pretty much however you like. People be lazy though so often access to one thing will give you access to many. For stuff like this breach they'll likely get nothing from most boxes but since they can likely rip through hundreds an hour, they will.

As usual, you don't need to be completely protected, just slightly more secure than the next guy.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Reminds me of a local bank where the ATMs used to have monitors over them. At night, they would regularly display a Windows "shutting down" screen, which was already pretty unprofessional. One night there was TeamViewer on the monitor, displaying the code that needed to be entered to access that computer. I couldn't believe it. Shortly after that, they just got rid of the monitors.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I dodged a bullet on this one. No attempts at any breach on my computer. I wonder if they actually have the username/password for the people that got hacked, or if they just have some way to bypass login to get into people's accounts. Anyone know?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I dodged a bullet on this one. No attempts at any breach on my computer. I wonder if they actually have the username/password for the people that got hacked, or if they just have some way to bypass login to get into people's accounts. Anyone know?
I am reading all over the place that 2FA doesn't stop them which means more than just user/pass.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am reading all over the place that 2FA doesn't stop them which means more than just user/pass.
That's what makes TV's comments about the matter bunk. If people are getting into accounts with 2FA protection, it's on TV, its not just username/password carelessness.

spronk

FPS noob
i uninstalled TV on all my family PCs including parents and siblings after I heard about this a few days ago and installed Chrome Remote Desktop instead. Turns out to work a little bit better for remote tech support anyways, while you have to be logged into chrome on the same account on both PCs (but you can have new windows with a diff login so no big deal) it seems just as good and has some stuff that actually works better for me, like alt-tab switches on your host PC instead of the remote PC and its not got little shitty windows all over the place while you are remoted in.

RIP Teamviewer

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The fact that I can connect without being prompted for a password?
In my case you need a password to connect to the pc. Hopefully we get more info soon. Lucky my pc has been off for the better rlpart of the last 2 weeks due to moving. I also enabled 2fa. Hopefully it helps.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is why people need a password vault. I think we've discussed the typical setup in a different sub forum, but it might be worth repeating here. Once you do the initial setup and change all your passwords, it's really not that much less inconvenient than storing your passwords in a web browser.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You don't even need the Windows Password. From what that Reddit thread was saying these hackers are installing a program called Webbrowserpassview which will pull your saved passwords right out of whatever browser you have.
this was confirmed on my logs.

lovely.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Luckily my BF found this on reddit and just happened to tell me about it (he didn't really know what TV was). I had TV installed on all the computers for my family business so they could check stuff across stores and so I could remote in to do fixes and maintenance since I live in another state. None of the employees noticed any Tv screens when they came into work the next morning thankfully and my father checked all our bank accounts and they looked fine. Could have been bad for sure, though.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I use this too, but my pws for teamviewer and my computer list(tv account) are different (figured incase this happened) than my usual pws.. havent seen any unusual charges, was home friday.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Luckily my BF found this on reddit and just happened to tell me about it (he didn't really know what TV was). I had TV installed on all the computers for my family business so they could check stuff across stores and so I could remote in to do fixes and maintenance since I live in another state. None of the employees noticed any Tv screens when they came into work the next morning thankfully and my father checked all our bank accounts and they looked fine. Could have been bad for sure, though.
wait.. are you a girl?