Tenet (2020)

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Not gonna lie...

I understood Memento perfectly upon 1st viewing. Ditto with Inception and Interstellar.

I didn't know what the flying f00k was going on in this movie. I knew it was a good movie; knew it was a brilliant story/script; knew it was a gem as far as how proud Nolan must've been seeing it brought to reality on the screen; knew it was complex as shit as far as cinematography... all those things... and I could definitely "feel" the beats of what was propelling the movie forward as far as the storyline but to truly wrap my head around what was happening from start to finish? Hell naw.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
This is one of the first movies i watched in a long time without doing something else.

I really enjoyed it, You really need to pay attention to keep up and i would imagine i missed lots that will be better on the 2nd viewing.

It was fucking James bond but with way more SCIFI.

John David Washington was amazing if you called him Bond i would have believed it. , Even Edward the Vampire was fantastic.
Kenneth Branagh was ok, i am a bit bored with him after all these years.

if you like Nolans stuff and can pay attention, i think you will enjoy this movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I liked the stoicism and his progression through the film where we see him start to really figure shit out at the end and he also looks really good in an expensive suit but I can't call him charismatic.

Sterling

El Presidente
Plenty of good aspects to this movie. Was nicely shot, the performances were solid, and the basic concept was pretty interesting. Unfortunately I gave no fucks about any of the major characters, the protagonist in particular and it felt like a lot of things were complicated just for the sake of being clever instead of just making it a better story. Again, it's not a bad movie, it's just not particularly good.

• 3Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I wonder if there was a plan to make a sequel going from the other direction in the event of wild success.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just finished it and did not care for it. I like time travel and mind fuck movies but this one didn’t click for me at all. I couldn’t follow anything, the conversations were performed like I was already supposed to know and understand deep concepts or something. Didn’t really like most of the characters and was pretty uninterested by the time the final assault thing happened so don’t even feel like trying to work out how this shit was all supposed to work. Bummed cause I liked inception a lot and was hopeful I’d like this.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just finished it and did not care for it. I like time travel and mind fuck movies but this one didn’t click for me at all. I couldn’t follow anything, the conversations were performed like I was already supposed to know and understand deep concepts or something. Didn’t really like most of the characters and was pretty uninterested by the time the final assault thing happened so don’t even feel like trying to work out how this shit was all supposed to work. Bummed cause I liked inception a lot and was hopeful I’d like this.

This was exactly how I felt seeing it in theaters. I rewatched it a couple of days ago, and could stop, rewind, and rewatch certain things. It made like 65% more sense, but still a lot of insanely stupid over-complicated crap and too many plot lines to sort out that we don't have time for when the main plot of the movie is already complicated. I just Google'd something about the movie and discovered the whole point of the temporal pincer:

"Let's start with that temporal pincer, a concept Ives mentions a few times. In your run-of-the-mill pincer movement, a force outflanks its opponent and attacks from two sides at the same time, stretching their defences. A temporal pincer, in the same way, involves troops attacking an enemy. However, they're reinforced by inverted versions of themselves, who are travelling backwards through time, and come armed with the knowledge of how the original attack went."

I had no clue it was done that way so that the team going backwards already knows how the original attack went.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This was exactly how I felt seeing it in theaters. I rewatched it a couple of days ago, and could stop, rewind, and rewatch certain things. It made like 65% more sense, but still a lot of insanely stupid over-complicated crap and too many plot lines to sort out that we don't have time for when the main plot of the movie is already complicated. I just Google'd something about the movie and discovered the whole point of the temporal pincer:

"Let's start with that temporal pincer, a concept Ives mentions a few times. In your run-of-the-mill pincer movement, a force outflanks its opponent and attacks from two sides at the same time, stretching their defences. A temporal pincer, in the same way, involves troops attacking an enemy. However, they're reinforced by inverted versions of themselves, who are travelling backwards through time, and come armed with the knowledge of how the original attack went."

I had no clue it was done that way so that the team going backwards already knows how the original attack went.
He mentions it specifically in the briefing prior to the attack.

• 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
He mentions it specifically in the briefing prior to the attack.

Oh wow, I even re-wound that scene and missed that!!!

It's crazy how movies like Inception that have like 4 parallel time stories going on, and interstellar that has a decent amount of relativistic physics, are both easy to follow, but this one really threw a lot of us for a loop. Like we get the gist but other than that, lol.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i watched it last night and still have no idea what happened other than Sator is dying and wants to take the world with him

should i bother trying to understand the rest of the film? or should I just move on with my life?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i watched it last night and still have no idea what happened other than Sator is dying and wants to take the world with him

should i bother trying to understand the rest of the film? or should I just move on with my life?
I’m moving on. I got the jist that they were traveling backwards to help each other, temporal pincer attack, etc. but none of it clicked enough for me to care about. The backwards/concurrent stuff just didn’t work for me, it was silly. It just wasn’t very good.

Move on.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Good high-Sci-Fi elements being bogged down in an action flick. It's like the good stuff in Interstellar being weighed down by the love bullshit.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, this movie felt like it COULD have been incredible, but ultimately when you really start to think about what happened it just gets worse the more you unpack it.

So think of the temporal pincer action and the part where the inverted team uses their knowledge of the future to take out a sniper before he can kill a bunch of their own men. But..... if they prevented that from happening in the future, how could they have just witnessed it happening in THEIR past? Or when an inverted solider gets caught by a reverse explosion that seals him inside the wall of a building....like how could that possibly function in the normal flow of time? Would his body just always be inside that wall now? Surely the engineers who constructed the wall would have seen him when they assembled it in that case...LOL.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watched

I can only handle so much nonstop expository dialog plot transfer to my brain

The concept is quite awesome, but execution was overwhelming. Give this idea to say an Alex Garland an I think you would've had an A++ movie.

• 3Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
The locations and scenes were excellent. Music was top notch as well, but holy fuck the audio guys absolutely fucked this movie in the ass. Couldn't make out what was being said half the time. The fight scenes were pretty cool, but the ending was way fucked. You get prepped for what's meant to be an epic assault and it looks like a bukake Zerg rush with buildings rewinding and locking combatants inside (WTF?), 4/10 with all 4 being the scenery and music.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I thought the audio was fine, just the reversal stuff was too wonky for me. Also, the last assault was awful, who were they even fighting? Didn’t even see a single “bad guy” outside the main two. It was like they were just randomly shooting buildings while shit exploded.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users