Tenet (2020)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I thought the audio was fine, just the reversal stuff was too wonky for me. Also, the last assault was awful, who were they even fighting? Didn’t even see a single “bad guy” outside the main two. It was like they were just randomly shooting buildings while shit exploded.

I had the same thoughts on that final battle!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont care if you have the original directors cut Dolby surround sound, blu Ray 4k remastered platinum edition rip, some of the audio at different points was still mixed poorly and difficult to hear.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Also, the last assault was awful, who were they even fighting? Didn’t even see a single “bad guy” outside the main two. It was like they were just randomly shooting buildings while shit exploded.

didnt even think of that because i pretty much checked out at that point but yeah, who were they fighting????

this invisible Sator army?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
I thought the audio was fine, just the reversal stuff was too wonky for me. Also, the last assault was awful, who were they even fighting? Didn’t even see a single “bad guy” outside the main two. It was like they were just randomly shooting buildings while shit exploded.

there was the enemy Sator team and they were dressed in all whites, while our Tenet team was dressed in green military. While tactically it makes sense to put your home team in whites in an arid environment where most of the ground is also ashy color, visually for a movie it was fucking stupid since they literally blended into the background. If you pause (luxury at home) you can see every battle scene has a forward and inversion Tenet team and same for Sator team. Those must have been hilarious recruitment montages too, "ok so you're gonna join a PMC that has to fight backwards in time. Yeah don't worry about why."

The entire final battle scene honestly looked like some shit out of Stargate SG1, its bizarre how for 3/4ths of the movie its at least looking sumptous and glittery like old Hollywood movies, but the last act looks like it was shot in a Canadian mining pit. Normally I'd say the movie just ran out of money but we know thats not true, such a weird choice. I'm sure some art faggot has an explanation on how it relates to the human condition, but nah, just a whole lot of poor choices made in this movie. I suspect a huge part of it is because Tenet was Christophan Nolan ONLY, his brother Jonathan wasn't involved at all. While his shit can stink too (Westworld) at least he thinks hard about audiences, while Chris seems to only care about his vision.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
there was the enemy Sator team and they were dressed in all whites, while our Tenet team was dressed in green military. While tactically it makes sense to put your home team in whites in an arid environment where most of the ground is also ashy color, visually for a movie it was fucking stupid since they literally blended into the background. If you pause (luxury at home) you can see every battle scene has a forward and inversion Tenet team and same for Sator team. Those must have been hilarious recruitment montages too, "ok so you're gonna join a PMC that has to fight backwards in time. Yeah don't worry about why."

The entire final battle scene honestly looked like some shit out of Stargate SG1, its bizarre how for 3/4ths of the movie its at least looking sumptous and glittery like old Hollywood movies, but the last act looks like it was shot in a Canadian mining pit. Normally I'd say the movie just ran out of money but we know thats not true, such a weird choice. I'm sure some art faggot has an explanation on how it relates to the human condition, but nah, just a whole lot of poor choices made in this movie. I suspect a huge part of it is because Tenet was Christophan Nolan ONLY, his brother Jonathan wasn't involved at all. While his shit can stink too (Westworld) at least he thinks hard about audiences, while Chris seems to only care about his vision.

which really begs the question of whether Jonathan has always been the brains and Christopher was just the guy implementing The Vision.

i can kinda see the potential, i kinda get what the general plotline is from a handful of scenes that are forced to exist to literally spell out for the viewer whats happening every 30 minutes, but honestly when im watching the scenes and trying to reconcile my general plot awareness with what's happening in the individual scenes, almost none of this shit is making sense.

i suppose if i watched it 5x i could kinda figure out how the individual scenes fit into the plot while i'm feverishly reading through various interpretations online but i shouldnt need a manual and 5 viewings to figure this out and enjoy it.

i will admit that i had some of the similar problems with Inception but nowhere to near this degree. I kinda undersood most of it by end of first screening and by the end of 2nd screening, almost every scene made sense, but Tenet is whole another level. maybe I'm just retarded.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
which really begs the question of whether Jonathan has always been the brains and Christopher was just the guy implementing The Vision.

i can kinda see the potential, i kinda get what the general plotline is from a handful of scenes that are forced to exist to literally spell out for the viewer whats happening every 30 minutes, but honestly when im watching the scenes and trying to reconcile my general plot awareness with what's happening in the individual scenes, almost none of this shit is making sense.

i suppose if i watched it 5x i could kinda figure out how the individual scenes fit into the plot while i'm feverishly reading through various interpretations online but i shouldnt need a manual and 5 viewings to figure this out and enjoy it.

i will admit that i had some of the similar problems with Inception but nowhere to near this degree. I kinda undersood most of it by end of first screening and by the end of 2nd screening, almost every scene made sense, but Tenet is whole another level. maybe I'm just retarded.
The only movie I ever had to, and actually wanted to, watch multiple times to understand was Primer.

This one just didn’t do it for me enough to want to go back and try again.

I should also add that budget for Primer was $7,000 and I found it more interesting than Tenet.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Or maybe it's asininely simple and you're just overthinking it.

• 1Edgelord

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk this might be my #myautismisasuperpower moment but I didn't find the plot confusing at all. They show or tell you everything, solve every mystery. I'm sure that if I went back there would be shit in the background I didn't see but it doesn't really matter.

The cool thing about Inception was the mystery at each level that wasn't solved in the end. This didn't have that and it suffers for it.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah, that battle scene is weird, it doesn't fit the style or tone of the film and it is just offputting. And it doesn't help that the central conflict (rich man wants to end existence because reasons) is super dumb and there's no way that the rest of these people would be invested in his specific mania so wtf is it that they think they are doing. It's like a heist movie that decided it was a war movie for 20 minutes and then went back to being a heist movie. But why are they at war? What are they fighting to defend? Truly missed opportunity.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah like Araysar said there IS an interesting sci fi concept here, what if we (present times) fuck the future up so badly by environmental destruction that they cannot "undo" it, so their only option is to reverse time so they can have a 20 million year planetary lifespan in a rich, comforting, life sustaining environment with time going backwards. Thats a really interesting idea and there are half a dozen cool sci fi movies that come from that basic construct, sort of a reverse Terminator. I mean, just think about galactic implications - what if future humanity reverses time, and then some Space Alien race comes by and decides to genocide us for fucking with the universe in such a brutal way?

Thats not Tenet. Tenet is almost the least interesting execution of the idea, in 2019 we need a McGuffin from the future to be buried for the future. Oh, and for some entirely bizarre reason its split up and embedded in nuclear weapons from 9 nations, you know, the 9 nations that have developed nukes. Oh Jesus you can just picture Chris Nolan masturbating while writing that down.

As a software engineer it really fucking annoyed me that THE ALGORITHM was represented as a series of gears all linked together. Is that what people think code looks like? I don't even understand how THE ALGORITHM would work, but its Nolan scifi so whatever its in the same boat as "this machine lets you share dreams", "this black hole sends you behind a bookshelf".

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Oh, and for some entirely bizarre reason its split up and embedded in nuclear weapons from 9 nations, you know, the 9 nations that have developed nukes.

wait, thats in the movie at some point? LOL

is that why theyre hijacking that convoy in Tallinn?

maybe i should rewatch this movie again

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Yeah like Araysar said there IS an interesting sci fi concept here, what if we (present times) fuck the future up so badly by environmental destruction that they cannot "undo" it, so their only option is to reverse time so they can have a 20 million year planetary lifespan in a rich, comforting, life sustaining environment with time going backwards. Thats a really interesting idea and there are half a dozen cool sci fi movies that come from that basic construct, sort of a reverse Terminator. I mean, just think about galactic implications - what if future humanity reverses time, and then some Space Alien race comes by and decides to genocide us for fucking with the universe in such a brutal way?

Thats not Tenet. Tenet is almost the least interesting execution of the idea, in 2019 we need a McGuffin from the future to be buried for the future. Oh, and for some entirely bizarre reason its split up and embedded in nuclear weapons from 9 nations, you know, the 9 nations that have developed nukes. Oh Jesus you can just picture Chris Nolan masturbating while writing that down.

As a software engineer it really fucking annoyed me that THE ALGORITHM was represented as a series of gears all linked together. Is that what people think code looks like? I don't even understand how THE ALGORITHM would work, but its Nolan scifi so whatever its in the same boat as "this machine lets you share dreams", "this black hole sends you behind a bookshelf".
Completely forgot about the gears. I laughed out loud when I saw that piece of shit put together.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I kept waiting for the gears to transform into a handgun and really give it to the autobots.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When Nolan is more grounded he does a better job. Momento was an incredible film, a mind fuck, and very Nolany, but it is one of my favorite movies of all time and his best film IMO. He can do great work, Tenet was just a miss for him.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I thought the individual piece of the macguffin looked alright but they did indeed look mighty fucking dumb assembled.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
When Nolan is more grounded he does a better job. Momento was an incredible film, a mind fuck, and very Nolany, but it is one of my favorite movies of all time and his best film IMO. He can do great work, Tenet was just a miss for him.

Memento was Chris Nolan's direction and screenplay but the concept and character was from his brother's writing. Jonathan is idea and Christopher is execution. Or plot and action. Or mind and body. When they work together, great things happen. When operating on their own, they overcompensate for each other's absence.

This is what gets you a room full of security guards firing P90s getting taken down by a woman in a corset with a sword, or a movie full of plot devices that never get properly revealed to the audience.

It's really frustrating, because Memento is one of my favorites too and they are both clearly very talented. It's like watching your favorite band break up and release abysmal solo albums.

• 1Like