Terminator Genisys (2015)

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
10 years from now Arnold will be in a wheelchair, and they'll still try and sell the audience why it makes sense that the robots send a senile, crippled cyborg back to the past. Let the franchise die already. It's been horrible since T2.
NO!! this genisys was so good, a "renaissance" ahah

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ccc54582d0aa4b269c2e45a712affde86a7cc2d7a872e1342b3112c497b49b45.jpg
yup

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. I am no Jai Courtney fan either. They probably should have stopped at T2 though.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
I couldn't find one scene that made any sense, and terminator moved from a frightening killing machine to a clown...wtf?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think they were playing off of the T2 directors cut. Cameron filmed but then removed (wisely?) some scenes of young John Connor teaching the T-800 how to smile. It looked exactly like it did in this new one.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think they were playing off of the T2 directors cut. Cameron filmed but then removed (wisely?) some scenes of young John Connor teaching the T-800 how to smile. It looked exactly like it did in this new one.
except that wasn't the same "uncle bob" t800 that john knew... so why? but who cares, heres the old deleted scene, it's at the end.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
When you look into what James Cameron was doing with that scene, and what followed. It goes further to show how badly the makers of the reboot messed up.

In the director's cut of T2, the first awkward smile was just that, a first awkward attempt. John Conner says something along the lines of keep practicing. Which ties into one of the main plot-lines that was cut from the theatrical release, that they change the chip in the Terminator's head to learning mode. And so then further into T2 Arnold does smile a few more times, the Terminator is actually mimicking young John in the way he would smile. Curling the side of the mouth up, in a half smile, cheeky way. James Cameron does have all his shit sorted out.

4OabfcL.gif

And later again, more natural

R8D7RGA.gif

So when the first attempt at a smile was cut from the film (and also the chip mode switching scene) we do still see Terminator smile a few times, which to the audience still works okay as it just is the Terminator getting closer with John, fitting in better, without the facts etc behind it being told directly to the audience.

SO then the makers of the reboot ruin it by having him do the original awkward dry smile again, despite this new ( or is it old ) Terminator having spent decades fitting in around humans.

Yeah!

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had forgotten the chip switching scene. They filmed that by having the real Arnold on one side of a two way mirror with Linda Hamiltons twin sister, then on the other side it was Linda and a fake Arnold head that she is cutting open to expose the chip. Incredibly slick scene that nowadays would all be done with CGI and not look nearly as good as it did in 1991.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When you look into what James Cameron was doing with that scene, and what followed. It goes further to show how badly the makers of the reboot messed up.

In the director's cut of T2, the first awkward smile was just that, a first awkward attempt. John Conner says something along the lines of keep practicing. Which ties into one of the main plot-lines that was cut from the theatrical release, that they change the chip in the Terminator's head to learning mode. And so then further into T2 Arnold does smile a few more times, the Terminator is actually mimicking young John in the way he would smile. Curling the side of the mouth up, in a half smile, cheeky way. James Cameron does have all his shit sorted out.

4OabfcL.gif

And later again, more natural

R8D7RGA.gif

(and also the chip mode switching scene)

Terminator having spent decades fitting in around humans.

Yeah!
actually isn't this why "pops" (emilia clark terminator) doesn't learn anything, b/c the deleted chip scene was them turning on learning mode.(for uncle bob) Unless theres also some deleted scene of "pops" telling solely emilia clark how to turn on the chip.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Which makes sense, but then I think raises a question, what counts as Canon?

With the original Theatrical release, when they cut the chip switching scene it was replaced with some ADR from Arnold saying

"My CPU is a neural-net processor; a learning computer. The more contact I have with humans, the more I learn." <-I just grabbed this from IMDB so it is verbatim.

So in effect making them permanently in a learning mode. Explaining some of his changes during the film.

That was in the original theatrical release, but then we all know the director's cut . . . so which one counts as being Canon??

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Let the saga die. Not saying with dignity because now it's impossible but just stop making terminator movies.
Just like Alien and Predator sagas.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally saw this. Jesus fuck ROFL. Nothing in this movie made sense.

I take time travel shit with a grain of salt because most time travel films are retarded. Glaring potholes and things that you just have to ignore to enjoy. Which I can do here, but still, damn...

Nostalgia factor and Ol'Arnie make it good for me though. I liked it for what it is.

Edit: I would have loved this 1000x more if T-1000 was played by Ken Jeong. God that would have been hysterical.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sfdebris did bit on the origin, casting and filming of the original Terminator. After watching it I'm even less inclined to want to watch the reboot.

The Terminator