Terminator Genisys (2015)

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Should have brought Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton back CG style.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
She hasn't been in anything of note outside of GoT and voicing Dr Zoidberg's love interest in Futurama. and in Genisys she did an acceptable job playing an awkward character. This version of Sarah Connor is the 29 year old badass from T2 stuffed into the body of the 19 year old from T1, with a side order of raised from childhood by an inhuman killing machine with knowledge of the future. Maybe someone else could have nailed it, but she certainly didn't flub it.

She has had moments of greatness in GoT, but the writing for her character is generally consistent with the books, which is to say boring, awful, and tedious. But I thought she absolutely nailed it when she freed the Unsullied and ordered them to kill all the Old Masters, and the look on her face when Drogon saved her from the Sons of the Harpy was exactly how I thought a mother should look after being reunited with a lost child.
She was by far the worst part of this movie. She is a horrible actress. Movie was okay

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't consider myself among the brain dead masses, but I wouldn't say I'm hard to please, either. Personally, I thought the movie was fine. I'd say 7/10 and worth the price of admission (maybe not if you're going to get popcorn and a drink).

You should know that I was never a die-hard Terminator fan boy. I thought the first two Terminators were great sci-fi films that confirmed sci-fi could be main stream (after Star Wars paved the way). Any story with time travel is going to inevitably have plot holes because time travel (as far as we know) isn't possible. Rationalizing it requires a ton of pseudo science or "it just works" explanations. When I watch something, I try to turn off the critical part of my brain that tends to shout out "PLOT HOLE" or "GRENADES DON'T WORK LIKE THAT." At the end of the day I judge movies by 'was I entertained?' or 'was I yawning and wondering how much longer was left before the end?'

If you're on the fence, like summer-action-popcorn-flicks, and aren't a dyed-in-the-wool Terminator fanboy, you'll enjoy the movie.

kaxfenix

N00b
Saw it over the weekend. It wasn't bad. I would like to have some of the questions answered that weren't in the film, like who sent back Arnold and the t1000 to the 70s when Sarah was a child... Guess we will have to wait for the sequel.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Saw it over the weekend. It wasn't bad. I would like to have some of the questions answered that weren't in the film, like who sent back Arnold and the t1000 to the 70s when Sarah was a child... Guess we will have to wait for the sequel.
Might see them in a flashback, but whoever sent those terminators back is from a timeline that doesn't exist anymore.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lena Headey didn't really look like T2 Linda Hamilton either, she just doesn't have that round faced look that Emilia Clarke does.
Actually according to the blog of the guy who did TSCC, Headey did get somewhat ripped for it, sort of leaner ripped. She still had the tone when she played the villain in Dread. The physique really isn't the issue here, though it does break immersion a bit. Headey is a really solid actress who could convey the survivalist character. The whole reason the Sarah Conner/Ellen Ripley archetype worked so well in the originals is that you had committed strong acting in those roles. To be fair, I don't think there are a lot of established younger female actresses out there who they could have signed on for this. JLaw and Hit Girl can't be in every sci-fi flick.....

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Headey was very good as Sarah. Really sucks that show ended.
God knows where the fuck they were taking it after killing Derek and Jon teleporting to the future. Wouldn't be surprised if that played some small part in the decision to cancel it too.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah I think it was because they knew they were going to have issues with the license so they scrambled and gave it such a sudden ending. Which is pretty sad since I really liked that show a lot.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't consider myself among the brain dead masses, but I wouldn't say I'm hard to please, either. Personally, I thought the movie was fine. I'd say 7/10 and worth the price of admission (maybe not if you're going to get popcorn and a drink).

You should know that I was never a die-hard Terminator fan boy. I thought the first two Terminators were great sci-fi films that confirmed sci-fi could be main stream (after Star Wars paved the way). Any story with time travel is going to inevitably have plot holes because time travel (as far as we know) isn't possible. Rationalizing it requires a ton of pseudo science or "it just works" explanations. When I watch something, I try to turn off the critical part of my brain that tends to shout out "PLOT HOLE" or "GRENADES DON'T WORK LIKE THAT." At the end of the day I judge movies by 'was I entertained?' or 'was I yawning and wondering how much longer was left before the end?'

If you're on the fence, like summer-action-popcorn-flicks, and aren't a dyed-in-the-wool Terminator fanboy, you'll enjoy the movie.
Pretty much how I felt, except maybe I'm more of a Terminator fan boy than not. But I still liked it quite a bit. Vastly better than Salvation, like not even in the same league. Nothing will likely ever approach 1 and 2 again, but I was quite happy with this, much happier than I thought I would be.

spronk

FPS noob
hdrips are out, although the quality is kinda poor especially in night scenes which is like 90% of the movie. audio is good, there are hardcoded korean subs at the bottom.

movie is pretty meh, terminator 2 is one of my fav movies so its hard to live up to it but this was both overly complicated and yet kinda dumb at the same time. I appreciate them trying to do a lot of callbacks to T1 and T2 but honestly its at the point where it would simply be better to reboot the entire series than doing this, where it feels like they are quite literally beating a dead (robot) horse.

Worth a watch I guess but just like salvation 30 minutes after you watch you have forgotten everything and will never want to watch it again.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wasnt nearly as bad as I was expecting, I did like how they handled the 1000

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed the movie but it was a bit too fast paced. If you watch T-2 there are a lot of character moments in between the action that just seem to flow better. The story was not bad at all. Time travel is always a tricky slope. At this point(Especially given the end credit scene), the best thing Sky Net could do to solve its problem would be to just let the heroes die of old age and then take over the world. This way they both win.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, that's why I like to say the later judgement day happens the less likely humans can win. Godlike AI is far more dangerous in today's world than predicted in all the old sci fi novels we are all familiar with. 1984 Terminator had no internet, or smart phones, or self-driving cars, or refrigerators with twitter feeds, or satellites that can read a newspaper from space to guide precision bombs/artillery up your butt.

HAL 9000 is the closest equivalent, since it had total control over the ship - including fun things like airlocks and life support. That movie holds up.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I'm curious as to why John in 2017, with Cyberdyne's billions, hasn't been able to do what Pops did in 1987 with spare parts from a junkyard...?

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I'm curious as to why John in 2017, with Cyberdyne's billions, hasn't been able to do what Pops did in 1987 with spare parts from a junkyard...?
Part of it was needing a chip from a future terminator. Even though John2017 was pimp as fuck maybe he couldnt give his "chip" up to make the machine work, whereas Pops in 87 had the chip from the future bot.

I dunno time travel cause reasons.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Part of it was needing a chip from a future terminator. Even though John2017 was pimp as fuck maybe he couldnt give his "chip" up to make the machine work, whereas Pops in 87 had the chip from the future bot.

I dunno time travel cause reasons.
Eh, no. If John for some reason couldn't manufacture his own chip, then he would have at least tried to get Pop's chip. It was a rhetorical question anyways, just pointing out a plot-hole that irked me a bit. I try not to think about all the time-travel plot-holes and paradoxes, since the entire premise of the first movie is based on one.