Terraria

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So...! Pyramids. Where the frack do I find them. In the sand, yes. I have gone through nine worlds (4 Small, 2 medium, 3 large) and have yet to find one. I even dug up most of the sand on the last two worlds. I am tempted to download a mapviewer to try and find one. They have the only vanity items I need and the last part for the Ankh Charm and the 4-Jump Balloon.
They don't have anything for an ankh charm? I completed mine in pyramid-less worlds so not sure what you mean mummies spawn in deserts regardless.

As for finding them, world viewer would be faster. Sometimes they're visible from the surface in sand, but sometimes not so it's annoying. They should be more common for sure.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They are actually rather rare. They won't spawn in a world that has a yggdrasil tree (the huge tree with the living wood), they won't spawn within x distance of corruption, yada yada, lots of restrictions. Best bet is to just keep spamming medium worlds and checking the deserts. I've yet to have one not have a surface tunnel visible. Just spawn and run either left or right, if desert is there check for pyramid, if you hit a yggdrasil just make a new world.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I feel like a total retard, but I spend the last 2 hours trying to build my first house. Followed the wiki: got background wall, walls, ceiling and floor. Housing tool says I need light source, chair and table. Added a door to because what's a house without a door, right?
'No sir, this is not valid housing. Can't give you more details, but this is not it.'
Removed parts and added them, rebuild the whole house from scratch except the background wall and STILL no valid house.
rrr_img_47079.jpg

Can someone tell me WTF is wrong with this house, because I must be missing something obvious, but I'm not seeing it and all the above adventuring stories sound great, but I'm stillstuck building a fucking clay hut for the last 2 hours.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ground can't be all platforms. Just put a block of dire/clay whatever there.

The rules are fairly simple but not obvious, you need a certain amount of space total(think 60block but forgot the exact number), backwall that is player made and covers most of the house(can leave like some openings but might as well full cover), needs a valid entrance which can be a door or a wooden platform, needs a comfort item(chair is cheapest) and a flat surface(table is cheapest), it needs at least 1-2tiles of solid ground AND free ground so your NPC can stand on it at night, this doesn't include wooden platforms and you can't have like your table on it. This last part tends to be the one people miss the most.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yup, that was it. Thanks.

And thank you housing tool for not telling me but suggesting I put a table and chair or so.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
I'm surprised there's not much discussion on ranged versus melee. It seems with chlorophyte bullets and minishark/rocket launcher/stynger, there's not much need for melee except for the scythe from the invasion.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised there's not much discussion on ranged versus melee. It seems with chlorophyte bullets and minishark/rocket launcher/stynger, there's not much need for melee except for the scythe from the invasion.
Any ranged combo is better than melee other than "melee ranged" options, like Scourge of the Corruptors, Vampire Knives, Paladin boomrang and the golem axe stuff etc. Overall melee is pointless, discussed that already, and that's why all the new "melee" weapons are actually short ranged weapons.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
They are actually rather rare. They won't spawn in a world that has a yggdrasil tree (the huge tree with the living wood), they won't spawn within x distance of corruption, yada yada, lots of restrictions. Best bet is to just keep spamming medium worlds and checking the deserts. I've yet to have one not have a surface tunnel visible. Just spawn and run either left or right, if desert is there check for pyramid, if you hit a yggdrasil just make a new world.
They do seem pretty rare, I think it took me 6 worlds to find one, but living tree is not exclusive with them, this is my latest world where I finally found them:

rrr_img_47118.jpg

Caliane

Ive made 8 worlds. 3 small, 5 medium

only 1 had corruption, not crimson.
2 had trees. 1 had a visible pyramid tomb.
Think they all had ice.

Caliane

One of the things talked about a bit. esp on Neogaf.
Balance in this game is pants on head retarded at times.

Like, I pushed the world to hardmode.

ran around quarantining, and in general gathering mats for upgrade.
cobalt and mythril ores. Chloro is there, but cant be collected yet. same with orichalcum and titanium.

but, have an ice biome. As someone here noted, ice armor from ice golems, which are cake to kill, and spawn ON THE SURFACE, is FAR better then cobalt, mythril and hallowed. hell its on par with chloro.
mage helms kindof suck, with really shitty armor on them. that armor is far more important the the small magic damage buff. and the +mana is pointless with damage-mana, and infinite mana pots anyway.

So everyone probably runs around with the high armor melee armors, but uses ranged/magic weapons..

Weapons also have this nature of most being really shitty.
Like, I ran around collecting all the magic weapons I could pre-hardmode. I had them all. Aquasceptor, fire flower,demon scythe, beegun, space gun, etc.
But my diamond staff was far better then all of them. The easily crafted one, was far stronger then the farmed stuff.

move to hardmode, and start looking for upgrades there too. Got lazer gun from wall. Flower of frost, crystal storm, poison staff, and frost staff.
Frost staff is a direct upgrde to diamond staff, and more or less far better then the others. and is a random drop from ice elems. also can be farmed on the surface like golems...

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I think the main problem is the developers wanted everything in the latest update to be worth going for, so just about every 1.2 item is superior to earlier items, even if they're easier to get. It's the same as with expansions in MMO's. Do you spend hours getting classic raid gear, or spend moments getting superior expansion quested gear, etc.

It is annoying that what was once a full , required progression of cobalt -> mythril -> adamantine -> hallowed is now instead go spend 10 minutes in 1.2 frost biomes for superior armor. I don't think the game needs absolute linear progression though. One of the great things about Terraria is the ability to leapfrog tiers if you want to metagame kind of.

They've tried to fix it somewhat in the latest hotfixes by making the hardmode dungeon not activate until you beat Plantera, and by making Plantera not activate until you beat a mechanical boss. You can still start hardmode, luck out with a biome key a few minutes in, and break the game from then on. It's a nice idea, having rare super drops, but is the game really better if a first time player randomly gets vampire knives right away, and misses out on the enjoyment of progressing through hardmode the proper way? I don't know.

Caliane

side progression is great.
But I am pretty sure it also means you dont need to destroy any altars.

kill wall, kill golems. farm mechanical parts. summon devourer. get hallowed pickaxe. get choloro. kill plantara. farm dungeon.

The ice armor isn't really side progression, when its so easy to get.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you have a lot of altars it's faster to get the last tier armor than wait for a blizzard, unless you're lucky. I said on my warrior I had corruption and it was all the corruption stacked in one large area too, I popped maybe 20altars in a row so there were ores everywhere, took me about an hour to go from wall to full adamantite, would have taken less if I had more areas explored before I went hardmode. Also at least with corruption you can have corruption areas all over your snow biome which massively reduces the chances of spawning ice golems vs just shitty corruption mobs, need the right setup for it to be a viable alternative. But yeah definitely poor design there.

You can fuck progression if you know what you're doing a lot faster though. Enter hardmode, buy teleporters, go to your lizhard temple, use teleporters to get inside the temple without the key(basically drop a teleporter on each side of the door, there's no line of sight check for item placement), kill golem for picksaw, this is doable by setting up the room so you don't get hit since unlike most other bosses he has a collision box, use picksaw to get chlorophyte based armor, game over you finished without killing a mechanical boss or planterra. Only an issue if you're a caster since most of the caster shit is in dungeon but if you're say ranged, Shroomite+megashark/chlorophyte repeater is basically endgame.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Unlocking hardmode only unlocks it for the map you kill the wall of flesh on, and not for the character you do it on, yes?

Caliane

got to kill a mechanical boss to get the steampunker, to get teleporters.

yeah, brikker, its a per map basis.

you cant even use the pwnhammer, on pre-hardmode worlds.

you can however, use hallow seeds iirc. and things like that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
got to kill a mechanical boss to get the steampunker, to get teleporters.

yeah, brikker, its a per map basis.

you cant even use the pwnhammer, on pre-hardmode worlds.

you can however, use hallow seeds iirc. and things like that.
Oh right was thinking it was the Mechanic. Still doable with 2 other methods though, one involves farming a Rod of Discord which can take a while, other involves abusing a bug with the new flat tiles, you use the hammer on a block to flatten it in a certain direction then trying to move into it fucks your position and moves you somewhere close, in a few minutes you'll eventually get moved inside the temple itself.

Just setting up a key farm as soon as you enter hard mode breaks the game though, dungeon isn't closed or doesn't spawn hard mode mobs so opening the chests is easy as fuck, and Vampire Knives break the game instantly, and to an extent so does Rainbow Gun, Scourge or Frost Hydra. Only the piranha gun is meh.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I feel like a total retard, but I spend the last 2 hours trying to build my first house. Followed the wiki: got background wall, walls, ceiling and floor. Housing tool says I need light source, chair and table. Added a door to because what's a house without a door, right?
'No sir, this is not valid housing. Can't give you more details, but this is not it.'
Removed parts and added them, rebuild the whole house from scratch except the background wall and STILL no valid house.

Can someone tell me WTF is wrong with this house, because I must be missing something obvious, but I'm not seeing it and all the above adventuring stories sound great, but I'm stillstuck building a fucking clay hut for the last 2 hours.
How do you get the game to tell you whether its valid housing or not?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How do you get the game to tell you whether its valid housing or not?
Esc, on the right side there's a house icon above your equipement, click that and it lets you check for housing requirements and also move NPCs to other valid houses.

baerf_sl

shitlord
I bought Terraria a good few months ago, and played it for probably around 2-3 hours, just couldn't get into it. However i started it up again a couple of weeks ago, and i can't stop playing it. Over the 2-3 weeks playing it, i must of put in a good 100+ hours. In the evenings when i would normally finish up on some work, i find myself loading the game and forgetting about the evening. Today i figured i would play for an hour at lunchtime before getting some stuff done - it's now 7:30pm and i had no idea i was playing for so long (even turning on the lights due to it get dark didn't register in my head about the time).

I haven't even triggered hardmode as yet, killed Eye, Skelly, Queen Bee and Eater of Worlds and now getting ready for the Wall of Flesh.

As you can see i'm taking my sweet time over this game - exploring bit by bit.

Going to be hoteling it for work for the next two weeks and that means nights stuck in a hotel with nothing to do but playing this game - can't wait.