Terraria

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I've always just screwed around for a few days at a time and never really got that deep into it. Multiplayer with the new patch sounds pretty fun though.

Goonsquad Officer
wife and i playing item drop, medium core. we've killed the eye and the slime king. the VERY start was rough, trying to push distance to explore and lay rail and the goblin army was brutal. i know you can't really 'fail' the goblin army but spawning naked with those fuckers everywhere with dinky weapons was rough. inevitably we backed into a hole in the ground and killed them. our gear got hopelessly mixed (she was doing space gun and crimtane sword, i was doing the blood cloud wand and the gold+ruby wand.

we're about to try the brain of cthulu due to a lava moving mishap destring all my non rare gear (and my gold pick) so it's time to move on the crimtane pick. good expansion. royal jel is sweet. yoyo is best plant picking thing ever.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You apparently get some nifty stuff from bosses. Doesn't seem TOO awesome.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I imagine we'll need at least 4-5 people on at the same time for any of these hardmode bosses. I'm not even sure how many for Plantera and the ones after it.

Rime

<Donor>
Took a break from doing 'Expert' to go back and play some of the content that is out of my reach.

Martian Madness is lots of fun - Though it may be bugged right now? When I did it, the UFO Boss spawned seven times in one invasion, so I ended up with every item it drops. The UFO Mount is awesome - 41mph Speed, Infinite Flying. Only downside is that it is 3-Wide, so it is not that useful underground.

I absolutely cannot imagine how people can do the Celestial Pillars/Final Boss fights in Expert, without major cheese. Even on Hardmode, with good gear, there were a few times I died.

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
I'm loving expert mode. The new drops are cool as hell. The bee mount was great, the eye shield with the dash was amazing, i still use it for the juke potential. Me and a buddy are playing midcore and recently flipped hardmode. Shit is badass. Definitely have to play smart though, and roll all warding on your accessories lol. One major bonus of expert was an extra accessory slot from killing wall.

Trying to farm a Daedalus Stormbow (25% drop from HALLOWED Mimics) as it should make killing Plantera significantly easier. (Current method involves people 'cheesing' the fight with a teleport pad arena).

Mimics are rare enough as it is. Hallowed Mimics are stupidly rare.

Have found two and got the hook each time.
I think you can craft a hallowed key from souls of light and put it in an empty chest and turn it into a mimic. We did it with souls of dark.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I get kicked for projectile spam when I use my bow against bosses, it is bullshit Hachima, bullshit!
smile.png

Please fix.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
LOL! I just logged in and a bunch of aliens laser-raped the shit out of me. There's some kind of crazy solar eclipse and alien invasion?

Oh, Martian Madness, I see.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haw, expert mode is pretty damn rough. Devourer of Worlds has the little projectiles that hit for 100 damage, and my screen looks like Ikaruga while fighting it. Eyeball wasn't bad, but Skeletron takes like... no damage from my attacks with meteor gun and meteor armor, so definitely need to try other methods than my normal ones. I steamrolled a bloodmoon and goblin invasion with like... no risk whatsoever though. The health regen stuff is definitely annoying. The dash shield from eyeball is pretty awesome to use with the sprint shoes, as it instantly puts you at max speed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Expert Mode progression is fucking brutal solo. I don't think I can do it. I need some tips.

Rime

<Donor>
I have no idea how people could 'progress' through Expert from scratch. Some of the fights are absolutely brutal without using major cheese (Spike/Honey Pit arena, Teleporter arena, etc).

If you are not starting over from scratch, farm the Pillar event until you can make a Solar Eruption (Easily the most OP weapon in the game) and maybe the Martian Madness event until you get a UFO Key (Mount - Unlimited flight, dismounts in water). Then go into Expert mode. You will not pull your hair out at least.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm doing Expert now, made a lot of progress since I posted. Eye/Worm/Skeletron down, going to farm up the mats to summon the bee, and I've already got a pretty long bridge for Wall of Flesh.

Using campfire cheese wasn't necessary in standard, but it pretty much definitely is for Expert if you aren't using hardmode gear vs. normal expert bosses. You really need to fight the worm underground, in a hallway, or you will get swarmed with the spit bullshit. Loading up on regen/ironskin pots, campfires spaced so you are always under the effect, and eating a marshmallow/bowl of soup helps a lot. I had to use the minishark for Skeletron, but primarily it was meleeing the shit out of his hands using the firey greatsword and then shooting at his hands/head when spinning. I highly recommend fighting Skeletron with the occasional row of blocks overhead, or you will be eating the skulls it starts spitting out constantly once you kill a hand for the entire fight, and they hurt. I had 31 defense(before pots) and the worm scarf when I fought him. 17% less damage taken is basically almost required since shit hits really hard and armor doesn't do nearly the reduction it did in standard.

It's doable, but you really need to farm the shit out of stuff. And getting lucky and having the goblin tinker guy spawn in the hive (apparently something he can do now) really helps, as I had all the mats for a few combined items, including the double jump flight boots.

Caliane

its not even cheese in expert. you need campfires. HP regen is basically nonexistant without them. its outright a mechanic of expert mode.
Also "well fed", again required. HP regen is outright quartered without it.

Fuck skeletron , i kept getting knocked into his spinning head of death. Took damn near 10 tries before i finally beat him. Starting to not like expert mode , these expert items arent all that great. My bitch ass is going to normal for wall , but that extra accesory slot is sounding very nice.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I swung at the Wall last night with a bridge about 1/5th the length of hell. Wasn't nearly enough haha, but I did pick up an autofire bow with 3x the damage of minishark, so I'm gonna give that a go (I doubt it pierces, though I haven't tried it on anything important yet) and probably build a bridge across 75% of the hell. What really fucked up my attempt is -right- when I engaged, a medusa mob dropped behind me and stoned me into losing 2/3 of my health. I had heart lamps and campfires all over the place, so when I got out I was able to pot/regen back a bit and not instawipe, but it really f'd up my chances. The additional armor on these mobs makes traditional tactics kind of not as useful. Meteor gun does dick all to the Wall, and the minishark only sort of does less crappily because of the pure volume of fire. I think with the length of my bridge, I had it right around half health, so tripling the size should give me plenty of room when it starts speeding up.

I take it back: the bow pierces. Though it definitely has more erratic firing patterns than the minishark. You sort of just spray arrows in an arc in front of you. Might not help!

So yeah, WoF is not bad at all if you use the helwing bow vs. the minishark. I had him to sub 50% (didn't even use an archery potion, because I'm dumb and never use bows so forgot about it) by 1/4th across my bridge (it's only half the underworld long) and I was still at mostly full health. Ended by about 2/3 through, over 50% health and I didn't pot once. Definitely the way to deal with the Wall in expert.