Terraria

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Mediumcore definitely adds a bit of spice to this game. I started fresh on a medium world and started to screw around a bit. I got some really good starter drops out of chests (climbing gear, blizzard and cloud in a bottle, water walking boots, ice skates). I could pretty much just run around wherever I felt like.

Once I got my gold pickaxe going I decided it would be a good time to build my hellavater below my house per usual. That went surprisingly well as I only had to move one pool of lava. However, at that point I got cocky and decided to roll around and explore a bit. I took a bad hit from a bat that launched me in to a lava pool and bit it.

The next 90 minutes was spent nearly losing all of my backup gear (secondary magic mirror, climbing gear, hooks, etc) in various attempts to retrieve my primary stuff. In the end, I had to complete my hellavater naked using feather fall potions, gray bricks, and whatever I could scavenge from my house.

I ended up bucketing lava out of the pool that my stuff was sitting in. I think I lost every crafted armor / weapon I was using (silver) as the lava ate them? Perhaps because they weren't magical? Good thing I kept my backup lead stuff. All other items seemed to make it through.

In mediumcore, it's the little things, like not having a light source, or climbing gear that I need to start thinking about as I make my way through. All the designs / tunnels seem pretty neat until you are naked and alone.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
What is the progression for hardmode ? not interested in exploiting my way through. Right now I have full adamanatite + Frost Staff, just got roflstomped by the Twins....

Caliane

Twins seem like the one of the hardest.
Destroyer(worm) is cake compared to them. same with skeletron prime.

I took out twins last. had cholor and frost staff. (mythical mod on frost staff) frost armor for destroyer/skel. although destroyer was so easy, probably didnt even need those.
frost burn on destroyer is god mode though. 6hp/s on EVERY section of the worm effected. haha. easy to hit 50-80 nodes... 300-500 dps dots on him.

An arena helps/is key. about 2 full screens wide path to run back and forth on. 2 or 3 teirs.
Pretty sure you SHOULD have been able to get them with that gear. Using potions? crystal ball, food. gravatron makes them cake as well.

Failed plantara twice, mostly due to accidentally getting too far, and despawning him at like 10%... he was even easier then twins, in actual fighting. only hard due to spawning underground in tight spots.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Twins are fairly easy if you do a long skybridge and have wings to turn around and lightning boots to outrun them. You want to focus one down then the other, generally I find it easier to kill the "melee" one first as it gets in the way of the ranged one otherwise. You just run back and forth on your bridge shooting them offscreen and jumping every now and then to avoid lasers and shit. Maybe setup a heart statue in the middle of the bridge so whenever you run past, get healed.

Destroyer would be tougher imo with your current weapon which iirc doesn't pierce(or like pierce only 2targets or some shit). You'll want a better weap, if you have crimson in your world Golden Shower is insanely good for Destroyer, I believe Crystal Storm otherwise is nice but I haven't tested. The old Demon Scythe(pre hardmode drop from underworld) also works out fine against Destroyer. He's generally the first boss fought because the fight doesn't last too long if you pierce, but imo if your arena isn't well done you'll die a lot easier. I think Skeletron is easier personally, just fight on a wooden platform so the grenades don't hit you and jump when the melee arms attack and focus them first, just run away a bit when he does the spin thing. Regen from a campfire+potion would be enough to outheal the laser and the random melee arms hit. Might take a while to kill though.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
How long does it take for hardmode ores to start spawning? I smashed all the remaining crimson altars in my world after I enabled Hardmode but have yet to find one new ore type.

Caliane

immediately. when I did it. there were even some mythril viens right in the crimson itself less then one screen away.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How long does it take for hardmode ores to start spawning? I smashed all the remaining crimson altars in my world after I enabled Hardmode but have yet to find one new ore type.
They spawn immediately. Open your map, you should be able to spot them fairly easily other than titanium, look for blue, pink, red, teal stuff. Also in case of, you need to destroy the altars, not the hearts. There's a message that says "your world has been blessed by x" whenever you break one. If you break a dozen there should be some visible ores. Cobalt is blue, forgot what's the other tier1, Paladium I think? which is red or whatever.

Caliane

man, I am getting sick of holiday events in games.

all this time and effort for stuff you are only making available for 2 weeks? That is fucking stupid.
Every dev on the planet must understand the mantra of limited time and money to put content in the game and things must be cut. so what is being cut to make this limited content?

I love halloween. I want this content year round.

then there is the issue of every fucking game doing it these days. so you have to even pick and choose which games limited content you think you might want to experience more.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
This update addressed the biome keys breaking the game, and did it in a smart way. Now instead of the biome keys dropping directly, the old key dropping mobs instead drop a mold, which requires souls from all 3 mechanical bosses, and a temple key (100% drop from plantera) to make the biome keys. This means you can't obtain the ultimate weapons until you've beaten all the hardmode bosses except golem (who is a joke anyway). Also when going to claim the chest, the hardmode dungeon will have been activated.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
man, I am getting sick of holiday events in games.

all this time and effort for stuff you are only making available for 2 weeks? That is fucking stupid.
Every dev on the planet must understand the mantra of limited time and money to put content in the game and things must be cut. so what is being cut to make this limited content?

I love halloween. I want this content year round.

then there is the issue of every fucking game doing it these days. so you have to even pick and choose which games limited content you think you might want to experience more.
I believe I read that pumpkin seeds would be buyable year round, but pumpkins would only naturally grow around Halloween.

Edit: Pumpkins will be available year round and the Pumpkin Moon Medallion that summons the "Pumpkin Moon" will also work year round. At least some of the content will be available that way.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Game is still a complete blast. Still only playing co-op with my brother but we're in hard mode and we're slowly building up a sky fortress that we can move all our npcs to so it is most likely safe from the corruption. I've got teleporters going from the base on the floor to the sky islands so it's easy and fast travel.

So far we've killed Skeletron Prime, Twins & Destroyer. Twins was definitely the hardest of the bunch. My bro actually died and I ended up getting down to 30hp at one point. I think we really need to make our battle area bigger. It's only about 1 screen length wide at the moment. We were also randomly exploring the jungle...I killed a plant and boom. Plantera spawned. We were in a tiny little area and got fucking raped lol. Figure we'll get to that eventually. Then we still need to do that jungle dungeon.

Also, anyone know why our Dungeon reverted back to just pre-hardmode mobs? I swear after that 1.2.0.2 patch it is now only spawning weak ass 50-100hp monsters, no paladins, no ectoplasms, etc etc etc. Is there some new way to activate hard mode dungeon or something?

Rime

<Donor>
Also, anyone know why our Dungeon reverted back to just pre-hardmode mobs? I swear after that 1.2.0.2 patch it is now only spawning weak ass 50-100hp monsters, no paladins, no ectoplasms, etc etc etc. Is there some new way to activate hard mode dungeon or something?
They pushed out a patch that makes it so that you have to kill Pantera to unlock the 'hard mode' mobs in the dungeon. It prevents people from just rushing the spells/Spectre armor.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Does activating hard mode change any loot in any type of chests? I.e., is it better to open NO chests, activate hard mode, THEN start opening chests for superior items?

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Chest loot is determined at the time of world creation and does not change ever. All hardmode loot comes from killing new mob types that spawn after its activated, or from hardmode ore, which you spawn in through destroying altars.

Caliane

I think there might be a bug with frost staff and ectos.

I jumped on to gather some of the halloween stuff that was limited.
Found out I needed ectos for the halloween moon event. And had not killed plantera yet. He was simple enough, as I said earlier, mostly my own fault for despawning him previously. So just went over, noted a number of quarantine breaks that had to be cleared up first. but then as I went to go summon him, I found a bulb had spawned along my access tunnel, even closer to the surface. ended up being like a 20s run to the top or less. Easy kill. he never even got me below like 70%.

But then I ran over to the dungeon. and I was there for quite some time. I even farmed 24 souls of light where somehow there is a cavern of hallow right in the middle of my dungeon. + time where I was away from the hallow area. 2 or bone lee's. Not one ecto or spirit. however, a diablolist dropped an inferno fork. Ported out. swapped to it, to test it out. whoo boy, that thing is beast.
But also ran back down into the dungeon. 12 ectos within 5 min.

Rime

<Donor>
So, has anyone been able to solo the 'Pumpkin Moon' event? Jesus, Pumpkings and multiple Mourning Woods out at once are just impossible. I have gotten about halfway through wave 10 before I just ran out of time.

Using a basic lava floor design to help with the Woods/others, multiple (not at once yet, thank the stars) Pumpkings at 22,000 HP each just takes too long to kill, even with all buffs, Scourge, and Chloro.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I haven't had a chance to play with the halloween stuff yet, but have you tried setting up a field of the new jungle temple traps? A row of spiky ball traps along with some spear, super dart, or flame traps on a 1 second timer should give you lots more dps.