Thailand

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
It just so happens that I'll be honeymooning in Koh Samui for two weeks in early September, so I'd greatly appreciate if you drop some feedback from your trip here
smile.png

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
5 days in koh tao? Planning to take a diving course or something? The boat ride there was pretty epic, probably the 3/4 on my boat were hangover from the full Moon party, still covered in body paint, and the sea was pretty bad that day.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Supposed to have gone some time this month. Good thing I weasled out of it I guess after what happened earlier in the week.

Vinen

God is dead
Best Soi's for authentic street food in Bangkok and Chiang Mai?
Honestly, I anywhere is pretty good. I can't think of a particular street that was excellent in Bangkok.

The one thing I did find is that American Thai is very close to Thai Thai. (ignoring of course fish served whole)

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bangkok used to have real nice street food at lumpini park night market, but ive heard they restructured the whole thing.
In Chiang Mai its important to know that the nightmarket is locally seperatet from the nightly food market.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
My restaurant suggestions for Bangkok -

For authentic Thai food, my favorite is Ruen Mallika off of Sukhumvit Road (casual). Lemongrass (opposite from the Emporium shopping center) and Baan Khanitha (both casual) are also popular Thai restaurants. The Spice Market is a safe choice at the Four Seasons Hotel.

For a nice ambiance and good thai food, i also like the Celadon thai restaurant at the Sukothai hotel (smart casual). If you are in the mood to try thai hot pot, check out Coca restaurant (casual) - they have restaurants in many locations but would recommend going to the original one near siam square. Its causal, delicious and inexpensive (its the sauce thats awesome - you can also order a soya-sauce/ lime/ chilli set and add these to the sauce to change it to your liking - also order a fresh crab to dunk in the hot pot, its sweet, soft and delicious). All these restaurants have english menus.

Giusto is a great italian restaurant (smart casual) with modern ambiance and is my favorite too - its nice to grab a pre-dinner drink at Koi (smart casual) which is near by. Zanotti (smart casual) is a nice italian restaurant as well.

I would recommend going to Sirocco Roof Bar Restaurant (smart casual) for at least a drink - its an impressive outdoor bar/ restaurant (so dont go if its raining!) on the 63rd floor of the State Tower - I forget whether the food was good, but great view and atmosphere and worth the trip.

Vinen

God is dead
My restaurant suggestions for Bangkok -

For authentic Thai food, my favorite is Ruen Mallika off of Sukhumvit Road (casual). Lemongrass (opposite from the Emporium shopping center) and Baan Khanitha (both casual) are also popular Thai restaurants. The Spice Market is a safe choice at the Four Seasons Hotel.

For a nice ambiance and good thai food, i also like the Celadon thai restaurant at the Sukothai hotel (smart casual). If you are in the mood to try thai hot pot, check out Coca restaurant (casual) - they have restaurants in many locations but would recommend going to the original one near siam square. Its causal, delicious and inexpensive (its the sauce thats awesome - you can also order a soya-sauce/ lime/ chilli set and add these to the sauce to change it to your liking - also order a fresh crab to dunk in the hot pot, its sweet, soft and delicious). All these restaurants have english menus.

Giusto is a great italian restaurant (smart casual) with modern ambiance and is my favorite too - its nice to grab a pre-dinner drink at Koi (smart casual) which is near by. Zanotti (smart casual) is a nice italian restaurant as well.

I would recommend going to Sirocco Roof Bar Restaurant (smart casual) for at least a drink - its an impressive outdoor bar/ restaurant (so dont go if its raining!) on the 63rd floor of the State Tower - I forget whether the food was good, but great view and atmosphere and worth the trip.
Chinese Restaurant on the top of the Chatrium is fucking amazing as well.

Potentially the best Peking duck I've ever had.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Chinese Restaurant on the top of the Chatrium is fucking amazing as well.

Potentially the best Peking duck I've ever had.
Best Pecking duck would still be served in The China House just adjactent to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. Dress /Suit no tie needed, is expected though.

Every guest ive ever witnessed in the restaurant ordered Peking duck. Every single one of them.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Headed to Thailand for honeymoon in a few weeks. Heading to Chang mai for 3 days, Bangkok for 3 days then koh samui and koh Tao for 5 days each. We're going to the non touristy (we were told Ibiza, magaluf style) area of the islands. Anyone got any advice on great things to do? And what is the best way to deal with money when there? I'm reading that taking money and exchanging it when there gets you the best rates.

We're looking to spend a day with elephants at some point and do some scuba diving on one of the islands. Any recommendation on spending money - we were thinking ?1000 a week would be enough?
Personally I'd skip Chang Mai and dump those days into Koh Samui or Bangkok. Chiang Mai just felt like a weak version of Bangkok, and three days isn't enough to fully enjoy Bangkok anyways. You might even want to only spend 3 days on Koh Tao and move the extra two days to Koh Samui. Not much to do in Koh Tao except scuba diving, while Koh Samui has a great town to explore during the evenings.

Not sure if your budget includes lodging or not, but if no that's fucking plenty.. Unless you go to tourist traps or eat at your resort, shit is dirt cheap over there.

I stayed at the Tongsai Bay in Koh Samui a few years back and it was probably the best vacation I've ever taken. Spectacular resort.

Vinen

God is dead
And considering how cheap you can get tailored suits for in Thailand, there almost isn't an excuse
Fuck dressing up no matter where I am.

Jeans and Hoodie is what I wear to more or less every restaurant I goto.

Planning to dump $1K USD on a meal tomorrow for my wife and I's anniversary tomorrow. Will be wearing Jeans and a Hoodie.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck dressing up no matter where I am.

Jeans and Hoodie is what I wear to more or less every restaurant I goto.

Planning to dump $1K USD on a meal tomorrow for my wife and I's anniversary tomorrow. Will be wearing Jeans and a Hoodie.
how was the meal?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm wondering where you can drop $1k on a meal for two that allows you to enter wearing a hoodie.