Thailand

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Looking at that menu I have a hard time believing you spent $1,000. Eight pieces of nigiri is usually plenty for me.

Vinen

God is dead
Looking at that menu I have a hard time believing you spent $1,000. Eight pieces of nigiri is usually plenty for me.
Omakase was ~290 a pop + 150 (I forget) usd Saki pairing followed by tax.

Don't forgot that you are a dirty hipster and I am a fat american. I can and will eat a lot more :>

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Omakase was ~290 a pop + 150 (I forget) usd Saki pairing followed by tax.

Don't forgot that you are a dirty hipster and I am a fat american. I can and will eat a lot more :>
I shower daily! You take the dirty part back!

Vinen

God is dead
I shower daily! You take the dirty part back!
If you actually live in SF you probably smell like homeless urine. I think that's the only smell in that city.
The wind brings it all the way up Knob hill from Mission/Tenderloin.

Eating a nice restaurant and suddenly.. urine.

//Done shitting on this thread.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Is this the where do whores go thread because I'm pretty sure the answer is Thailand.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Going to Bangkok, Chiang Rai, and Phuket in a couple weeks. Aside from suggestions in the thread, any other places??

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
One of our friends has several clients in Phuket and we will be staying at their house for free.
tongue.png

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
One of our friends has several clients in Phuket and we will be staying at their house for free.
tongue.png
Well, that's certainly a good reason to go lol.. Nothing particularly wrong with Phuket, it's just very touristy and commercial. My advice would be to take the ferry from Phuket to Phi Phi island for at least a day outing, and visit The Beach that was in that movie with Leonardo. It's stunning.

Vinen

God is dead
Well, that's certainly a good reason to go lol.. Nothing particularly wrong with Phuket, it's just very touristy and commercial. My advice would be to take the ferry from Phuket to Phi Phi island for at least a day outing, and visit The Beach that was in that movie with Leonardo. It's stunning.
So is everyplace in Thailand now that isn't 99.9% shit-hole.
Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Samui are just giant brothels for British and Middle Eastern tourists.

Bangkok gets a slight pass as it's not a tourist city purely.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Went and came back. So glad to be home. So many fucking malls in Bangkok and we went during Children's Holiday (with Pikachu Day). Holy fuckton of kids. Went to a gay muscle and then a twink strip club. Not my cup of tea.

Went to Chiang Rai and stayed at Four Seasons Tented Camp. Holy hell was that amazing. First time ever being in an all-inclusive resort, so we could drink and eat everything we wanted. Glorious.

Phuket was just full of fucking Russians. I thought the Chinese were the worst. Nope, Russians are by far the douchiest of the bunch.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Went and came back. So glad to be home. So many fucking malls in Bangkok and we went during Children's Holiday (with Pikachu Day). Holy fuckton of kids. Went to a gay muscle and then a twink strip club. Not my cup of tea.

Went to Chiang Rai and stayed at Four Seasons Tented Camp. Holy hell was that amazing. First time ever being in an all-inclusive resort, so we could drink and eat everything we wanted. Glorious.

Phuket was just full of fucking Russians. I thought the Chinese were the worst. Nope, Russians are by far the douchiest of the bunch.
Yeah, the all inclusives in Thailand blow Caribbean based resorts out of the water in terms of both amenities and service, not to mention value for your money.

And yes, Russians are the fucking worst. They act like they fucking own the resort-- loud, bossy, disrespectful of rules and others.. List goes on. That and the men still wear fucking Speedos.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
So, my wife's brother and his wife are living in Thailand, and have been for some time, on the outskirts of Bangkok. They have the weeks of x-mas and news year off work, and my mother-in-law is going out to stay with them for those 2 weeks. My wife would like us to go as well. I get along with my mother-in-law fine, but my wife's brother and his wife are basically the most stereotypical "woke" people I have ever met. They are like a poster for every annoying thing you can think of, and all conversations revolve around them complaining about everything in the world, and letting you know how much better they are than other people. A typical encounter is them complaining they can't get the correct(?) vegan food, then while eating telling you how all white people are inherently racist, then refusing to tip because they don't want to be a part of that system or some dumb shit. Basically, I can handle them for a bit, but I'm not spending 2 weeks with these idiots.

So, my plan is to leave the US Friday Dec 13 for SOMEWHERE for 1 week. Then, meet up with my mother in law in Bangkok a week later (when she flies in around Dec 20th) and spend 1 week with her and my wife's family (her brother suggested a couple of days in Bangkomk and a few days in Chiang Mai). Then, my wife and I will split off on our own again for the 3rd week and go SOMEWHERE. So my plan is a 3 week vacation total, with only the middle week actually being with in-laws in Thailand.

So, as someone who has never been out of the US, and who this is likely my only trip to this area, what would some of you suggest? I have a friend who said Thailand is fine, but that we should hop a bus to Cambodia. I met a guy who was talking about how much better Vietnam was than Thailand as well. I'm wondering if I should fly in to Japan for a week, then do Thailand, then the last week in Cambodia or something?

If it helps, my wife and I like trying new things (shes 33 and I will be 40, so not crazy kids or anything), we both pack light (probably just a single backpack each), money isn't a hug concern, and would prefer just soaking in a lot of once in a lifetime places or things to do. I guess that's probably all pretty normal vacation stuff.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If this is the only time you see yourself going to the area you gotta check out Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user