The Americans

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
i'm pretty sure the show is gonna do yet another liz and philip reset, which is my big issue. the showrunners seem too afraid to shake things up too much, show would be A tier for me if shit went down for real for the family but it never really does - just side characters get fucked up and die. With only two seasons left I'm betting next seasons finale is one of the two getting caught and the final season is the two of them seeing Russia fall apart and changing sides.

one interesting thing though is Robert Hanssen, who was an FBI mole in DC for the Russians starting around 1985 which is around the current show time I think? It went on for years and years, I really hope Stan the Man isn't that character.
This would be disappointing, would be better if they pinned it off someone else (maybe his partner, although he is black haha). Luckily though, as Arden said, it would be around '83 because of the Copperfield "State of Liberty" skit. That being said it wouldn't be impossible for them to jump 4 years over the next two seasons.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finale was a very "meh, ok". Good season overall, but not its best. Hope they recapture that Season 2 magic as the show rounds into the ending. The introduction of Philips' estranged son has some potential to be awful.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Holy crap- I thought that was the second to last episode until I checked this thread. Terrible finale. They put a mostly filler episode in for the last episode of the season... I remember when season finales left you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next season to start. These days they are putting out some weak stuff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think I get it, they leave you with the cliffhanger of will they/won't they (spoiler alert: they won't) and they have essentially set up the last 2 seasons. Special Agent Gooftroop now knows that there is a couple disguised as a typical American family with kids, and they are working for Directorate S and have to be doing some sick shit for this guy to know. and with Paige in heat and Matthew the only dick in existence for 100 yards that isn't related to her, it's game on.

I'm betting ultimately Paige starts fucking Matthew, she gets information from him, Agent Gooftroop finds out and is further crushed.

spronk

FPS noob
I think I get it, they leave you with the cliffhanger of will they/won't they (spoiler alert: they won't) and they have essentially set up the last 2 seasons. Special Agent Gooftroop now knows that there is a couple disguised as a typical American family with kids, and they are working for Directorate S and have to be doing some sick shit for this guy to know. and with Paige in heat and Matthew the only dick in existence for 100 yards that isn't related to her, it's game on.

I'm betting ultimately Paige starts fucking Matthew, she gets information from him, Agent Gooftroop finds out and is further crushed.
Stan The Man will never be crushed! He is the one who does the crushing!!!!

3h77gVP.gif

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
season 5 returns tonight, this season will be 13 episodes and next year the show is expected to wrap up with a 10 episode season 6.

TQ1UAzK.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
zGttpQu.png

course stan can't even catch the spies living next door to him and his son (was) dating a pinko commie

spronk

FPS noob
well the season finale aired last night, and i guess it was a boring ass episode to a boring ass season. I've never understood why so many critics rate this show as MUST WATCH, its kinda decent at times but soooo many boring episodes really drag it down and pretty much ALL of season 5 was shitty. Just Philip staring with dead eyes into space as Liz the psycho spy cackles gleefully.

Anyways next season is the final season, hope something actually happens next season. I did enjoy the russian bits this season, it was pretty cool seeing what life in just-about-to-get-fucked Soviet Union mighta been like.

2S65irJ.jpg

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finally blew through season 5 while sick. It was just, "ok, cool". What even happened this season? The only reason it was remotely decent was because of how tied into the Phil & Elizabeth, Stan, and Oleg lives the viewers are. The whole move to bring Paige as a focal point over the last 2 1/2 seasons has just been fucking lame. So obviously they're staying with Kimmy's dad leading the "Soviet Division" of the CIA. They have one season, with this obvious opportunity to make the whole Jennings - Stan Beeman connection just become absolutely heart-wrenching crazy television, a la the ending of Breaking Bad. But now I'm not really sure how season 6 plays out? Seems like they may kinda play it safe, with the Jennings making a seemingly sloppy mistake that causes them to retreat away or get caught?

I don't know. This show was one of the best I had ever seen through the first two or three seasons, now it's just kinda solid. Disappointing... Completely in for season six though, gotta ride this journey out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Action has never been what made this show good. It's a character study about a family in a particular situation where there are a ton of unique moral conundrums and how that affects their mental health and relationships. That is what the show is and always has been about with the cold war as a backdrop but it seems odd to me that people have made it through 5 seasons and still say things like "this is boring" as if they were expecting a lot of car chases and shit blowing up or something.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought it was the best season yet. Philip's conflict is super interesting. And you see some of that in Elizabeth as well now.

I think it ends with them defecting. Or at least with them being presented with the option of defecting. They've been setting the pieces for that with both Philip and Elizabeth having issues, Paige and <boy's name>, etc.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I thought it was the best season yet. Philip's conflict is super interesting. And you see some of that in Elizabeth as well now.

I think it ends with them defecting. Or at least with them being presented with the option of defecting. They've been setting the pieces for that with both Philip and Elizabeth having issues, Paige and <boy's name>, etc.

Elizabeth looking around the house at all her stuff is the first time we've seen her conflicted with material possions. Hell, she looked more wistful in that scene than any one that involved the well being of her American children.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think anyone who has watched this show would ever confuse it, in hopes of "action". Still completely invested in the show because of the aforementioned idea that it is a character study. But while it's a character study I believe they did a much better job in previous seasons of also running interesting sub-stories that had more entertainment value in their respective season. This season just felt kinda, bland. Maybe the Pascha & Alexei story line develops into something more next season in which Philip's rescue attempt ultimately leads them to becoming compromised.

But I'll hold with what I said: I really like this show, but I believe as a season, it wasn't a "great" season. I am also curious to see if they completely capitalize on what could be an insane finale.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think the Pascha story is probably over, or at least mostly over. I think it was mainly there to demonstrate the gulf between that Vietnamese kid and them, how much they've changed not just since the show started but since they became agents. That kid didn't think twice about what he did, and even if Pascha had died he would have legit given zero fucks.

To me, they've been focusing so much of the character building, that I have to believe that season 6 will flip the table.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think it ends with them defecting.

Maybe it's because I'm an American but this is what I have been hoping for all along. I thought it was impossible for Elizabeth but they have shown her softening so it could happen, especially if they make it a position where she truly has to choose between her country and her family. I think them knocking on Beeman's door and saying "Stan, we have something to tell you" and then walking inside and the door closing behind them would be a great ending to the series.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, Elizabeth seems to be coming to terms with what she'll have to give up. At this point, though, defection wouldn't feel realistic to me. Both Elizabeth and Philip are still too loyal to betray the USSR - though the use of biological weapons did seem like it could lead them on that road. I just think they'll need to lay a lot more groundwork before defection becomes believable for them. At the same time, I think it'd be really strange for the show to end without Stan ever figuring out who they are. We've gone this long and he still doesn't even have any suspicions of his neighbors. Seems like they're going to have a lot of stuff to cover next season to wrap things up satisfactorily.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah at this point I think it's probably too late to start the, "Stan is getting some hints". Think it's possible they actually defect.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just finished the season. Think it was the weakest season so far but I still really enjoyed it. Kid story lines are usually dumb but I think Paige has been pretty great.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think the Pascha story is probably over, or at least mostly over. I think it was mainly there to demonstrate the gulf between that Vietnamese kid and them, how much they've changed not just since the show started but since they became agents. That kid didn't think twice about what he did, and even if Pascha had died he would have legit given zero fucks.

To me, they've been focusing so much of the character building, that I have to believe that season 6 will flip the table.
yea i don't see how the creme de le creme super super deep spies like felicity and guy, are like put off by how ruthless Tuan is. It's like the only way the show can show that these two whiteys can be the good guys is to show an even more sadistic yellow slant.