The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Pretty neat stuff from Gemini in Hawaii

Striking Gemini Images Point Juno Spacecraft Toward Discovery | Gemini Observatory

Haze altitude map on Jupiter, brighter = higher altitude.

upload_2017-6-30_23-3-4.png

upload_2017-6-30_23-3-31.png

The above is a heat map, with bands of clouds blocking much of it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Monster Black Holes Spotted Orbiting Each Other for 1st Time Ever

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2Ny8zNDgvb3JpZ2luYWwvc3VwZXJtYXNzaXZlLWJsYWNrLWhvbGVzLXJhZGlvLmpwZz8xNDk4ODg3MTQw

...the scientists have taken snapshots of the black holes' home galaxy over the past 12 years, using the Very Long Baseline Array, a system of 10 radio telescopes that stretch from the U.S. Virgin Islands to Hawaii and from New Mexico to Alaska.

In the new study, the scientists detected one of the black holes moving at the rate of just more than 1 micro-arcsecond per year. That's about 1 billion times smaller than the smallest thing visible with the naked eye, the researchers said.

"If you imagine a snail on the recently discovered Earth-like planet orbiting Proxima Centauri — a bit over 4 light-years away — moving at 1 centimeter [0.4 inches] a second, that's the angular motion we're resolving here," Romani said in the same statement.

This may be the smallest-ever movement detected of an object across the sky, the researchers said. "Personally, I find the technical tour de force of measuring this tiny motion most impressive," Romani told Space.com.

The new findings suggest that these black holes are orbiting each other, completing a single orbit over the span of about 30,000 years, the researchers said.​

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This thread seriously needs the mind-blown rating. Thats^ fucking nuts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
SpaceX had another successful launch today, 3rd in a 12 day period.
I know the July 3rd was scrubbed at 10 seconds to go, never did see why the webcast was cut off from the guy explaining it lol. That isn't a failure though, that is more of a preventing a failure.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Very unimpressive I know, but I'm kinda baffled that I could take Saturn with my dslr, after 3 attempts.
saturne.png

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Saturn is about one light hour from Earth, boggle about that in your mind a bit next time you're looking at it. :)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
DEyLov-W0AE4EX3.jpg:large

He has a few more amazing shots on his photo stream -

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Really hope he meant hundreds of millions to billions of years not just "thousands".

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Solar eclipse in the Saturn system in 2009, Titan's shadow.

DFcqEtgXkAE-j4d.jpg:large

• 3Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Anyone making plans to try and see the eclipse on 8/21?

Next one in North America is in 2024. Might try and use my flight benefits and catch it in Kansas City.

21stCenturyNorthAmericanEclipses

• 3Like